Sign in to follow this  
corkyo4

FSX Database

Is there any software out there that allows you to update the FSX database??For starters when flying VOR to VOR sometimes the radio frequency doesnt recognise the VOR i am flying towards.Also there must have been changes/additions that FSX doesnt have.Any ideas?TomIGNORE THIS - IT SEEMS ITS NOT POSSIBLE

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

I just switched to FSX. so no AFCADS in FSX?In FS9 you can edit/add facilities like airports with their VOR , NBD ILS... editing/creating AFCADs

Is there any software out there that allows you to update the FSX database??For starters when flying VOR to VOR sometimes the radio frequency doesnt recognise the VOR i am flying towards.Also there must have been changes/additions that FSX doesnt have.Any ideas?TomIGNORE THIS - IT SEEMS ITS NOT POSSIBLE
It is possible and should be done!

I just switched to FSX. so no AFCADS in FSX?In FS9 you can edit/add facilities like airports with their VOR , NBD ILS... editing/creating AFCADs
Well of course it's possible. In fact there are three new tools that may be used; two freeware and the third is payware.However, with >24,000 airports in FSX, it would be an impossible task to update and/or correct all of 'em once, let alone every AIRAC cycle!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've search the whole thing but can't find an updated database. My question is : Why is the database not updated or will it never more been updated?

Well of course it's possible. In fact there are three new tools that may be used; two freeware and the third is payware.However, with >24,000 airports in FSX, it would be an impossible task to update and/or correct all of 'em once, let alone every AIRAC cycle!
The tools available, (ADE, AFX, and Flight Planner) will allow you to modify airports but I'm not aware of any that will allow modification of the navigation DB of NAVAIDS such as VOR's and NDB's.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Updating VORs and NDBs can be an issue in FSX. First, you need to keep in mind that there are actually two types of NDB, NDB and terminal_NDB. The terminal ones are associate with a specific airport and I think for the most part are compass locators, though I think you can give one any attribute. The VORs ad NDBs are created in the default NVX files which define the characteristics that the user aircraft radios and indicators respond to, and the symbology in the map/GPS. They also place a default library scenery object at their location. They also are scanned by FSX at startup and used to create a database that's stored in the all user appdata "FSX\facilities" folder.Separately, VORs typically are used in the IFR enroute airway system (V and J routes) and have waypoints associated with them in the matching ATX files. These waypoints will be used as anchors for the various airways which pass to/through them.Due to these considerations, attempting to change VOR and NDB data via addon scenery bgl files is problematic. There exists a tool for editing the NVX files (Easynavs) but that tool won't correct the ATX files and it has been reported that having mis-matches can cause FSX crashes.The sdk says an "Exclude=" line can be used in scenery.cfg with type set to VORs and/or NDBs, but I don't think it actually works.You can add new VORs and NDBs via addon scenery files, as well as associated waypoints and airway routes.scott s..