Sign in to follow this  

atis

hi i am still on fs2k.. so.. there are plenty of airports with control towers and corresponding atis frequencies.. however there are also plenty without any com freq whatsoever , at such airports how does one get the weather ?? thanx in anticipation 'kunal

Well, good question. Not sure where FS2k2 has its weather centered.But for the sake of discussion, it seems that if MSFS2k2 uses downloaded weather they must be from a facility that issues terminal weather observations.If you can locate an airport close to your non-reporting facility and dial up its ATIS you might get lucky....unless you are like me and fly in an area with great differences in local weather. I fly a lot through SW lower Michigan and get "Lake Effect" weather.In real world I listen to KSBN/KAZO/KGRR and BEH ATIS/AWOS, and call up other planes or FBO's on unicom, maybe someday FS2k2 will catch up.Timothy

thnx for suggestions timwhat i woz wndering if any computer whizkid has made a crack which gives me a scrolling atis readout with a commomn frequency at nay airport of use in fs2k,somethging comething like the ctaf(common traffic advisory frequency )..but here is my dilema --- i have a random weather generator program..which i use to practise vor,ndb,ils'es letdowns at airports to keep the ir skills going. yes when i am at or around a big league filed no probs,but when i am at a smaller place oops then i go for a toss..this is what i need despserately -- a latest qnh readout when i go flying .as the weather keeps changing around me.i have made my own panel on which the hsi has a wind readout ,the sat tat gauges are there for me to predict my performance ,and i dont care if the weather is total soup ,if its an ils i just got to the dumbell ,and if its a non precision one ,i just establish a profile from my calculated visual descent point. what puts u in a fix is if the qnh has changed ,specially so for stepdown non precision letdowns ,in that case one ends up levelling of at wrong altitudes .. and i know that because i have also installled a 100.000 foot radio altimeter .however into places like kathmandu or even aspen ,that does'nt help as all are heights above touchdowns!!!anyway i will keep searching till i get luky..maybe some simmer can take up this challenge bi bi allkunal

I think you need FS2K2 ;)regards,Seba