Sign in to follow this  
Guest sixfourty

Localizer does not take me to runway threshold

Guest sixfourty

In my last few flights the localizer has not been very accurate, instead of taking me to the runway threshold it has been taking me to a point 2-3nm off the side of the runway instead. This has been happening with various planes, for example the PMDG MD-11 and the Leonardo Maddog. Happened to me last night at KLAX ILS25L, also happened at KIAD 19c. Does anyone know what might be the cause of this and more importantly how I fix it?

In my last few flights the localizer has not been very accurate, instead of taking me to the runway threshold it has been taking me to a point 2-3nm off the side of the runway instead. This has been happening with various planes, for example the PMDG MD-11 and the Leonardo Maddog. Happened to me last night at KLAX ILS25L, also happened at KIAD 19c. Does anyone know what might be the cause of this and more importantly how I fix it?
Just had the same experience at MBJ and STL(30L) last week.???

Guest Chunt16307

Just taking a stab at the problem Have you recently updated the nav database for those aircraft. Maybe the "Procedures" are not correctly written. I had a problem with my PMDG 737NG where I was not lined up with the runway centerline and found the procedure was incorrectly written. Seems I had a new AIRAC cycle with an older SID/STAR package. Maybe try an approach with the default 172 and see if you get the same issue when tuned to that localiser.

Have you tried using the D key to calibrate your heading?

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Just taking a stab at the problem Have you recently updated the nav database for those aircraft. Maybe the "Procedures" are not correctly written. I had a problem with my PMDG 737NG where I was not lined up with the runway centerline and found the procedure was incorrectly written. Seems I had a new AIRAC cycle with an older SID/STAR package. Maybe try an approach with the default 172 and see if you get the same issue when tuned to that localiser.
Yeah I'm going with answer.... I've also had certain planes that don't line up with the FSX default database (big surprise there!)I looked up the chart for I-22R at JFK and indeed the course is 222 and everything else is set right. It may be that FSX's navdata is not intune with this approach in the real world (which is what many addons planes' databases are based off)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This question comes up from time to time. Not all localizers are aligned to the runway centerline. KJFK Rwy 22R the localizer is beside the runway and true heading is 208.24 while runway is 210.77. On the US NACO charts you can tell this because they show a localizer symbol (circle with dot at center) when the localizer is offset.Note on the ILS 22R approach chart the minimum is 250 ft while the typical ILS will be 200 ft.At KSTL 30L there are two different approaches. ILS 30L uses localizer IBKY 111.5 and is aligned with the centerline. LDA/DME 30L uses IRMK 111.75 and brings you in on an angle (current). This is after the new runway addition. In FSX default the LDA 30L uses IFXD 110.55.scott s..

What I have noticed is that some of the localizers and ILS glide slope feathers in FSX seem to be incorrectly positioned. What I did to fix this was to download a program called Airport Design Editor. The localizers and ILS feathers can be changed even the frequencies for the localizer.Andrew Dixon

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Not all localizers are aligned to the runway centerline.
Yes, but I don't think it is his problem. The localizer for this particular runway may be about 3 deg off but it still should get him nicely to the threshold (the course arrow on the chart), I don't think it is doing that, from his pic it is clear that he is way too much to the right for this to be explained away by a mere 3 deg.

Yes, but I don't think it is his problem. The localizer for this particular runway may be about 3 deg off but it still should get him nicely to the threshold (the course arrow on the chart), I don't think it is doing that, from his pic it is clear that he is way too much to the right for this to be explained away by a mere 3 deg.
Listen Michal, in this case judging by the picture it is the problem. I know that all localizers don't line up with the centerline of the runway. I stated what I have found in FSX and how I fixed it.Andrew Dixon

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

What I have noticed is that some of the localizers and ILS glide slope feathers in FSX seem to be incorrectly positioned. What I did to fix this was to download a program called Airport Design Editor. The localizers and ILS feathers can be changed even the frequencies for the localizer.Andrew Dixon
I do hope that you are checking the charts to make certain that there IS an error before making changes...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I wonder what his weather settings are.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

I do hope that you are checking the charts to make certain that there IS an error before making changes...
What I usually do is check the chart but also I look where the localizer is by zooming in with google maps to check is actual position in the real world. An example of what I am talking about is Runway 16L at YSSY, the approach was always to the right of the runway and I always touched down on the grass on the righthand side. I moved the localizer to align with the runway centerline. Now the aircraft tracks exactly the runway heading and lands smack on the center of the runway.I changed an ILS frequency at EIDW after the nav radio informed me, via a FMC message, while trying to tune to it during an approach that it was an invalid frequency. Checked the Navdata arrival plate for the runway and indeed it was wrong. I moved the localizer slightly to one side at runway 16 at YMML so now the aircraft lands right on the centerline and not to one side.The BGL airport files that I change and are the ones from MyTraffic X. I'm still learning how to use Airport Design Editor 9X but what a great program!Andrew Dixon

Andrew Dixon