Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

How do you edit FS9.cfg?

Guest firehawk44

I've seen a lot of "fixes" whereby you have to edit the FS9.cfg file. I tried editing mine but have been unsuccessful. I have Windows XP Home Edition. I add a line to the config file (such as fssound.dll=1), save the file and restart FSCOF. The fssound.dll error msg still comes up. I go back to the config file and the line I added is no longer there. I checked FS9.cfg attributes and "read only" is not checked. I went to the Documents and Settings main folder and checked its attributes. It states "read only" so I unchecked this box and told it that it applies to this folder and all sub folders and files. The system goes through a bunch of data crunching and removes the read only attribute for everything. I try to edit FS9.cfg again. Restart FSCOF and the error msg comes up again. I check the config file and the line is again removed! I check the Documents and Settings main folder again and "read only" is again marked for all folders. I am the sole user and administrator for my computer system. I don't know what's going on. Obviously it's working okay for others as I have not seen this problem surface in other messages I have read in this forum. I hope some computer guru has a solution. Thanks!Jim Young

Guest ba747heavy

Jim,What proggie are you using for editing? Notepad is my preference, simple, to the point, and gets the job done.Also, what are you saving the file as? I can't tell you how many times I have saved the fs2002.cfg as 'fs2002.cfg.txt' because I forgot to put the quotation marks around the filename in notepad(forces notepad to not add its own .txt extension to the filename)

Guest firehawk44

I use Notepad to edit my configs. I don't think the editor has anything to do with my problem though since all my files and folders are Read Only and I cannot change the attributes. I'm amazed others with Windows XP have been successful in editing their FS9.cfg. Thanks for your assistance anyway.Jim