Sign in to follow this  
ahaka

VC camera

Hello,This is already the second post I've made on this subject, but I've really had enough of this thing happening, as it's nearly ruining the experience of flying big jets from virtual cockpit in FSX. What I'm talking about is that even after disabling the momentum effect, and setting all the dynamic head movement values to 0, there is still some annoying acceleration effect in virtual cockpit, that makes some of them unflyable by hand due to constant big changes in camera position.This effect is almost non existent in J41, so I wonder why it is present in big jets like the 747 and MD11. Surely PMDG must know what is causing this problem? If there is no solution to fix it, it would be nice to know what is causing it. But if in J41 it is almost completely fixed, then why can't it be fixed in 747 and MD11?The effect mostly happens when taxiing, or when making turns in the air. The camera just slowly starts to move towards some corner, and in no time the viewpoint is completely screwed. If noone else has this effect, and the view in the virtual cockpit remains static in all circumstances, then what am I doing wrong? I've been trying to find a solution for this for a long time with no results. This is a desperate cry for help. ;)

Had some time to experiment with FSX. Funnily it seems that the closer you are to the equator, the more extreme this head "sinking/rising/wobbling" effect in VC is. It also seems that the further the cockpit is from the airplanes center of gravity (or pivot point in 3D terms) the more wobbling you will see. So in MD-11 and 747-8 this effect is far too great and makes flying from VC difficult.Perhaps the effect does not bother so much if you fly in the more northern latitudes. However, I'm still looking for a solution on how to make the virtual cockpit camera stay still in FSX, just like it did in FS9.

If you are running WIN 7,try this. Click Start, type the word camera, Open the icon 'camera' it will take you to FSX .Look down the list for 'momentum effect, it will say 'Yes' Try changing this to :No. I have not needed to do this myself but I read about it ti Computer Pilot,and it should disable the head movement in the v/c. It may be the same in Vista but the idea is to find the camera view in fsx and it is not in the cfg file. As always do this at your own risk and good luck. Dennis

Dennis Elliott

If you are running WIN 7,try this. Click Start, type the word camera, Open the icon 'camera' it will take you to FSX .Look down the list for 'momentum effect, it will say 'Yes' Try changing this to :No. I have not needed to do this myself but I read about it ti Computer Pilot,and it should disable the head movement in the v/c. It may be the same in Vista but the idea is to find the camera view in fsx and it is not in the cfg file. As always do this at your own risk and good luck. Dennis
Hi Dennis,Unfortunately these tweaks (including setting the dynamic head movement values to 0 in fsx.cfg) do not remove the head movement completely. It removes the acceleration effects, but when yawing or taxiing the airplane, or when banking in the air, the head starts to wobble and sink/rise. I've found some other posts about people complaining about this effect, which is very obvious in the PMDG heavies, but noone has yet to find a solution how to completely remove the dynamic head movement.

I've just done more testing, and it indeed seems that the wobbling effect is WAY greater the closer to the earths equator you are located. Could this have something to do with the FSX "round earth" model?PMDG (or any other users/beta testers), IF you have time, try doing this quick test: load the PMDG MD-11 or 747-8 at some airport close to equator, for example WSSS (Singapore), try taxiing around with some tight turns and notice how the vc camera spins around even though you have disabled all dynamic head movement and momentum effect. Now take off and do some tight turns with around 30* bank while maintaining altitude (pulling back on the yoke/stick) and notice how the eyepoint changes way too much.Now after observing this, go to a way more northern airport, like PANC or something, and do the same tests and notice that the eyepoint moves way less (so little it doesnt really disturb you).I really don't understand what part of the FSX code causes this behavior, but maybe someone who has deeper knowledge of FSX could explain it (or even fix it).