Sign in to follow this  
Guest MattNW

Autocoordination in FS2004?

Why is it that I can steer the R4D DC-3 with my joystick in FS2004, like I did in FS2002, and can't steer any of the other stock tail draggers? My joystick does not have the rudder twist function. Is there a way to setup the other stock aircraft like the R4D? I hate to use the keyboard. Thanks, Bob.

Guest wathomas777

Because most steering of tail draggers was not done using the rudder, Most taxi speeds are too slow to really effectively use the rudder in steering. Most tail traggers used differential braking. That is they would brake the wheel in the direction they wanted to go. Your model DC-3 incorrectly provided ground steering due to rudder position and since auto coordination was checked, joystick movement would cause steering.The other taildraggers in this sim model differential braking, and that can be accomplished with the F10 and F11 (I believe) keys.

Hi. Thanks. I was afraid of that! The R4D was a dream to taxi using the joystick. Oh well guess I'll have to use differential brakes. Best regards, Bob.

there is a scalar in aircraft.cfg for adjusting its influence on steeringi myself re-adjusted the toe brakes scalar and use those.allen. with a 2 hour old cast for his first broken arm in life

Guest Calb

Bob,Are you aware differential braking is AUTOMATIC in FS9 ? If you haven't removed the "Brakes" message, if you watch it while twisting your stick and tapping your brakes, you see the message says Differential Braking instead of just brakes. With rudder centered, you get just plain brakes.In other words, there's no need to use F11-F12 (which still work).A doff of my chapeau to the person on the FS design team that masterminded this stroke of genius.Cal

Doesn't work on mine.... I twist and twist away, and keep going straight....

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Hi Bob, how are you?I highly recommend spending 35 bucks on a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D joystick ... with rudder twist. I actually have mine disabled - and the throttle - because I have those on pedals and quadrant, but when enabled they all work just fine. The stick is also very friendly when used in tandem with yoke and pedals, as I have.I've hammered mine and it's still going strong. I know many swear by the MS stick, but I find that toy-like compared to the Wingman.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontP.S. DON'T buy the FF version. What a heap of cow excreta that is. I used mine for one day and pushed it into a deep, dark corner.http://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Stone,Don't forget to apply the brakes while twisting the rudder for differential braking.Also, I use the Saitek 3D Cyborg joystick w/throttle and twist grip (paid $29.95 at CompUSA) and it has reversable controls (left or right hand throttle and hand grip) constructed with reasonable quality of feel and appearance.Bear!

Hi. I have had a CH Flightstick forever and like the feel of it. Guess I'll have to invest in another joystick if I want to fly the tail draggers in FS2004. Thanks and best regards, Bob.

Guest MattNW

>Because most steering of tail draggers was not done using the>rudder, Most taxi speeds are too slow to really effectively>use the rudder in steering. Most tail traggers used>differential braking. That is they would brake the wheel in>the direction they wanted to go. >>Your model DC-3 incorrectly provided ground steering due to>rudder position and since auto coordination was checked,>joystick movement would cause steering.>>The other taildraggers in this sim model differential braking,>and that can be accomplished with the F10 and F11 (I believe)>keys.You can also use the rudder and apply the brakes. It will automatically kick in differential braking when the rudder is deflected to one side or another. IE. to turn right apply right rudder and hit the (.) key. You'll see instead of {Brakes} displayed in the left hand corner of the screen it will say {Differential Brakes}. You can steer pretty accurately by applying the rudder and tapping the brakes lightly to turn. Just remember to counter steer or you'll find yourself taxiing around in a circle. :(

Guest MattNW

>Doesn't work on mine.... I twist and twist away, and keep>going straight....Try hitting (Shift+G) that unlocks your tail wheel so you can turn. Make sure to lock it by hitting (Shift+G) again just before take off. Keeps you from making a funny circle halfway down the runway.

Guest wathomas777

I had one of those, but had to go to the lower version. Seems as if all those nifty adjustments come at a price. Soon those little screws were stripped out and the whole upper piece of my joystick was waggling like it was on the end of a rope.Picked up the one that didn't have the twist, or hat switch and it works for me, although I do miss having a hat switch for looking around.