Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Samsung's DYNAMIC CONTRAST mode and ENBSERIES

If any forum member has a Samsung monitor that can use Samsung's MAGIC TUNE software (you have to download it from off of the Samsung site), and you also have ENBSERIES mode engaged for Bloom Effect via 3d3.dll and its ini.file, I suggest you try:Magic Tune's DYNAMIC CONTRAST setting and the ENBSERIES bloom effect together. Those two will render full depth of field, wonderful graphical contrasts, where the forested areas on the island (I'm presently on pause in the Caribbean) are in shadow from the cloudscape, but there are break-out sparkle highlights upon the beaches and water that is so real...lawd, I wish that I was there! ENDBSERIES is an absolute SLEEPER software. This little app has transformed FSX into real world, and made it breathe with deep color and 3D depth, as perceived. Nothing is washed out. Everything looks 'right' as per sunlight either shining on that area of the scene or where sunlight should NOT be affecting anything. This little app is priceless for doing just that. Wonderful! Flying just off the beaches over the ocean is stunning! Magic Tune's Dynamic Contrast even adds to the effect BEYOND ENBSERIESTry the two out if you have the monitor that can be controlled digitally via MAGIC TUNE and just watch what the two aforementioned programs can do to bring 'real world' to your FSX!Mitch

Mitch, any chance you could show a before and after shot with the Magic Tune settings enabled? I also use the bloom mod and have a Samsung lcd, so I would be interested to see the difference.ThanksJim

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Mitch, any chance you could show a before and after shot with the Magic Tune settings enabled? I also use the bloom mod and have a Samsung lcd, so I would be interested to see the difference.ThanksJim
Jim, I could, and have taken some screens, but in this case, I think that you have to see it on your own monitor. I don't know if a capture would do it justice. Just hop on over to the Samsung site, where you will see a link for MAGIC TUNE. Find the right one for your O.S. and whether 32 or 64 bit. I think that if you have NOT used Magic Tune, you will not go without it. It also has presets for movies, reading, Internet and myriad of other settings to tweak the heck out of your Samsung. Jim, you have everything to gain and absolutely nothing to lose but the time to download and install.I never really used the Dynamic Contrast Setting as Magic Tune also has a GAME SETTING. I only thought to try it later with the bloom effect 3d3.dll and but did it EVER step up to the plate! :( The two for a Samsung owner is an FSX power-punch.Mitch

Hi,I just hope this works with my Samsung SyncMaster T260HD triple monitor via TH2Go setup.Here is the Samsung download location: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learnin...p_download.html

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Interesting...! I've turned off dynamic contrast the day I bought my Samsung monitor, and I never thought about using is ever since. But I think I will give this a try...! BTW AFAIK I can simply turn on dynamic contrast (and the various modes) on my monitor, without having to install and use software... (Can't check it right now.) But thanks for the heads up: on my everlasting search for SUNLIGHT in FSX (I am a vivid user of ENB), this might be a nice option to check out!

Hi,I just hope this works with my Samsung SyncMaster T260HD triple monitor via TH2Go setup.
Oh boy...on that I don't know, Mike. You load it and it addresses the digital side of your monitor. Whether it will adjust all three is something you'll have to report back on. But...I KNOW that you will love the effect. Sun highlighting the cabin, wings, etc, while the instrument panel is more demure. Nothing washed out, everything sharp with blacks that don't look like faded out grey. :) If you own a SyncMaster, then I believe you're ready for the flight line. That's a digital beast. The bloom effect does the trick, I found out that the Dynamic (changes with what's depicted...) Contrast feature reinforces the effect to best visual advantage. Your monitor contrast is not canned and stagnant during the entire FSX session. It (your contrast setting in real time)will change with depiction, whether it is night, dawn, day, overcast, clear....the Samsung will! It will even change on the fly (excuse the pun...) as you pan to a darker or lighter scene rendered.Mitch
Interesting...! I've turned off dynamic contrast the day I bought my Samsung monitor, and I never thought about using is ever since. But I think I will give this a try...! BTW AFAIK I can simply turn on dynamic contrast (and the various modes) on my monitor, without having to install and use software... (Can't check it right now.) But thanks for the heads up: on my everlasting search for SUNLIGHT in FSX (I am a vivid user of ENB), this might be a nice option to check out!
Oh geez...you're going to love the both combined. Oh yeah.....I will say though, that if you don't use the bloom effect, than I'd probably stay with the Magic Tune GAME MODE setting. Yes, you can use some of the features directly with your monitor, but using the applet makes it seamless and painless. Again, if you have it, use it or lose it..LOL! Seriously though, getting the Bloom effect without any FPS hit is simply amazing. You have areas upon the mountains where the sun is making presence and they are so highlighted, but NOT WASHED OUT! Just highlighted as would be to the natural eye, with the surrounding scape not being directly affected by sunlight, appearing just as so. It is the contrast between the two adjacent textures that creates the seemingly 3D effect and with depth-of-field. The Samsung Dynamic Contrast Mode embellishes this effect using Enbseries to make your eyes water! Life is good, life is good.Mitch'er

Hi,Well, I just got the following message after installing MagicTune. This computer system does not support MagicTune. I just took a look at Samsungs compatibility listing and the Nvidia GeForce-285GTX board and my monitors are not listed.Samsung video board compatibility list: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learnin...patibility.htmlSamsung Monitor compatibility list http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learnin...ntedmodels.html

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,Well, I just got the following message after installing MagicTune. This computer system does not support MagicTune. I just took a look at Samsungs compatibility listing and the Nvidia GeForce-285GTX board is not listed.Samsung compatibility list: http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learnin...patibility.html
Mike, I got that too, the first time I loaded it and tried to run it without a system reboot. All you have to do, is reboot your system and all will be well. You merely can't just run it. Magic Tune has to initialize upon boot-up. When you watch your boot-up to the Desktop, you will see that Magic Tune loads up to control your monitor and rests in the Tray. You use it by the Tray or by the ICON created on your Desktop.Try that and report back.I have a 285 with no problem!Mitch

Hi,As soon as the install completed it asked for system restart, I allowed the system to restart and got the message after reboot.

Mike, I got that too, the first time I loaded it and tried to run it without a system reboot. All you have to do, is reboot your system and all will be well. You merely can't just run it. Magic Tune has to initialize upon boot-up. When you watch your boot-up to the Desktop, you will see that Magic Tune loads up to control your monitor and rests in the Tray. You use it by the Tray or by the ICON created on your Desktop.Try that and report back.I have a 285 with no problem!Mitch

Hi,As soon as the install completed it asked for system restart, I allowed the system to restart and got the message after reboot.Mike, try it again, and also check out that you downloaded the proper software issue. Try the international one. Reboot again. Also, wanted to mention that sometimes, that 'does not work with this system' might come up if you load another program or change something. I just merely reboot and all is well again. Keep plugin' at it Mike, for the pay out is worth it. Make sure you are using the right 32 bit or 64 bit as required..and that you download the VISTA/W7 version. You know what system I have, with card and I run a Samsung SyncMaster B245 wide-view. It works as it should.Mitch

Hi Mitch,I downloaded the correct software (Windows 7-64) it's the only one listed for Win 7 64 bit, but that no longer matters. I just took a look at my monitors menu and I don't need Magic Tune software, my monitor comes with dynamic contrast as a menu item. Maybe the software was made for older CRT/LCD monitors that don't have Dynamic Contrast as a menu item.Time to uninstall the software.

Hi Mitch,I downloaded the correct software (Windows 7-64) it's the only one listed for Win 7 64 bit, but that no longer matters. I just took a look at my monitors menu and I don't need Magic Tune software, my monitor comes with dynamic contrast as a menu item. Mybe the software was made for older CRT/LCD monitors and graphic cards.Time to uninstall the software.
I'm just pausing from taking off from Barbados (smile). Ok...but, I do have an nVidia branded GT285 AND, the monitor is barely only two years old. I wonder if it is because you are using multiple monitors of which this product is only designed to have one monitor in the hardware stack/system. If you can turn D.C. mode via your front panel..then you're still in the game. :( For those reading, one of the effects of having this mode turned on, is that as you pass under a cloud layer, for instance as I am in taking off from Barbados, your instrument panel will darken in RELATION to what is being depicted all around you...that is the 'D' in Dynamic mode. Your contrast will lighten or darken (in real time) to give you the most authentic depiction within the cockpit, or when panning at dark clouds, away from the sun, etc. Like I said, if you add ENBseries to this, the effect is stunning in its realism.

Hi,Well, looks like I'll have to rework ENB, it is way too dark at night with Dynamic Contrast. Looks like my monitors are turned off its so bad.UPDATE-------------I just went back and setup FSX for a dusk flight, when I go to exteroir view and pan down away from the sky the screen/ground just about goes black. I don't think this effect is for me unless this is repairable. Anyone else get this using Samsung's Dynamic Contrast?.

Hi,Well, looks like I'll have to rework ENB, it is way too dark at night with Dynamic Contrast. Looks like my monitors are turned off its so bad.UPDATE-------------I just went back and setup FSX for a dusk flight, when I go to exteroir view and pan down away from the sky the screen/ground just about goes black. I don't think this effect is for me unless this is repairable. Anyone else get this using Samsung's Dynamic Contrast?.
Mike, it's best used for any other time but night. Day,dawn, sunset, you're gold. For night time, it's best to not use the setting. I use the ENBSeries ini file from the latest SETUP version, rather than just the ZIP file that the original came with...and on the above times-of-day less night time operation, it's gold. Try other than night op's. Don't bother messing with your ENB ini file. Your file as is, is good for other than night with D.C mode on.

I also turned off the dynamic contrast when I first got it and calibrated my monitor properly. But I guess I'll give this a shot in FS9. I dont have any software installed but it does come up in the monitor menu, thats the same thing right?