Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

NDB Chart Question

I have a question regarding this NDB approach into Oconto, WIhttp://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/1003/06337NG29.PDFWhat I have for equipment is an HSI and an ADF indicator with a moveable card under it.I started by trying to line up the card with my heading (from the hsi) but just got screwed up that way. So I left it where it was and imagined the needle overlayed onto my HSI. From the chart we see the final approach course (or bearing whatever its called) is 301. From my picture here I presume I'm slightly right of course? I'm heading 300-ish and if I were to imagine the adf needle on my HSI it would point at about a 295. How do I know what my deviation is off the final and how do I correct it? Do I turn toward the needle or away??? That's what confuses me the most. Also, when I'm flying outbound prior to reaching the PT, again, do I correct towards the needle or away?Thanks for any help... ndbd.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have a question regarding this NDB approach into Oconto, WIhttp://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/1003/06337NG29.PDFWhat I have for equipment is an HSI and an ADF indicator with a moveable card under it.I started by trying to line up the card with my heading (from the hsi) but just got screwed up that way. So I left it where it was and imagined the needle overlayed onto my HSI. From the chart we see the final approach course (or bearing whatever its called) is 301. From my picture here I presume I'm slightly right of course? I'm heading 300-ish and if I were to imagine the adf needle on my HSI it would point at about a 295. How do I know what my deviation is off the final and how do I correct it? Do I turn toward the needle or away??? That's what confuses me the most. Also, when I'm flying outbound prior to reaching the PT, again, do I correct towards the needle or away?Thanks for any help... ndbd.jpg
Turn toward the needle regardless. In this instance you are inbound to the NDB and slightly right of course. If you continued past the NDB, the arrow would point in the opposite direction and be slightly left of the 300 degree mark on the ADF compass. You'd still turn toward the needle to line up.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

There's a reason why many pilots go in to their IFR checkrides with the ADF placarded 'INOP'. :( I think you've got the right idea, though. You do need to correct towards the ADF needle.

Use an RMI gauge if you can, NDBs are way easier to do with them when you don't have to worry about moving the card to the right heading too.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

You are flying parallel to the inbound track, but the needle is pointing a bit to the left, so you want to go left to intercept.Once you have turned left, rotate the compass card so your current magnetic heading is straight up. Now you can read the magnetic course to the NDB directly from the ADF. Turn towards the NDB when the needle approaches 301 degrees.Easy. Now do it with a crosswind :(

I have a question regarding this NDB approach into Oconto, WIhttp://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/1003/06337NG29.PDFWhat I have for equipment is an HSI and an ADF indicator with a moveable card under it.I started by trying to line up the card with my heading (from the hsi) but just got screwed up that way. So I left it where it was and imagined the needle overlayed onto my HSI. From the chart we see the final approach course (or bearing whatever its called) is 301. From my picture here I presume I'm slightly right of course? I'm heading 300-ish and if I were to imagine the adf needle on my HSI it would point at about a 295. How do I know what my deviation is off the final and how do I correct it? Do I turn toward the needle or away??? That's what confuses me the most. Also, when I'm flying outbound prior to reaching the PT, again, do I correct towards the needle or away?Thanks for any help...ndbd.jpg
It has been years since I did an ndb approach but if I recall the way I was taught and used to do it is to figure out what bearing from the station you are on. If you look at the chart you want to be on the 121 degree bearing. Don't mess with the movable card but mentally place the adf needle tail on your hsi and look at the number. It shows about 115 which is your actual bearing from the station. Therefore you are right of course and need to correct by turning left. As you turn keep watching the needle and move it mentally to the hsi until you are able to track 121-and yes the wind makes it very interesting. You want to not only get on the 121 bearing but find the right wind correction that will keep you on it.

Meh, ADF is way too hard to explain with detailed on a forum :( The way I was taught you just rotate the card every time you change heading so the ADF card matches your heading, that way you don't do math when you're supposed to fly the airplane. It's a no brainer when you have an RMI...moving the card to match the heading is sorta "manual RMI"...

Use an RMI gauge if you can, NDBs are way easier to do with them when you don't have to worry about moving the card to the right heading too.
Except I don't have one in the Dakota :( Now if I were flying my usual acft of choice - the Duke - I would hehe

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |