Sign in to follow this  
JoeNaps

A few quick questions

Im trying to decide if I should get this beautiful looking aircraft. Hopefully someone can answer some questions. First, what is the range of this aircraft? Secondly, I've flowen captian sims757, and level ds 767, im wondering how much different is this aircraft, is it much harder to learn to fly? Thanks Joe Naps

Boeing lists the non-stop range of a max take-off weight standard MD-11 as 6,630 nm. Of course, your mileage will differ depending on winds aloft, cruise altitude, airspeed, etc. I've comfortably completed flights of 11 hours (in real time) with sufficient fuel reserves to spare. I've also got the a/c you mention and the MD-11 is far and above the better simulated a/c. There are differences and PMDG has a tip sheet for Boeing pilots on the differences in the MD-11. The printed, bound manuals are a must and a nice touch. If you complete the two excellent tutorials, you'll have no problem. I highly recommend this a/c; it's a pleasure to fly and also to watch.

Thanks for the help Jerry. I'll be adding it to my fleet soon.Joe Naps
Just for adding some interesting numbers:I flew from Tokio Narita to Kennedy and it took 12h25m block time and 12h02m flight time. Block fuel was 96,011 kgs while flight fuel was 94, 495 kgs.Ramp fuel was 112,988 kgs, Takeoff fuel was 111, 795 kgs, Landing fuel was 17,390 kgs and final fuel was 16,977 kgs.Total distance was 5, 925 NM. I have the plane configured for a ZFW of 169,095 kgs.Step climbing was scheduled 310/330/350/370I consider this the best plane ever. Before I thougth is was LevelD but this is more complex. The FMC is much better than LDS's.My only complain is that eventhough I have a 22" monitor I cannot use the wide panel option because the Autopilot simply doesn't work. I sent this complaint to PMDG and no matter they tried they best they could but at the end it couldn't be solved. I just forgot about it. Other than that, I fully recommend this machine.

Im trying to decide if I should get this beautiful looking aircraft. Hopefully someone can answer some questions. First, what is the range of this aircraft? Secondly, I've flowen captian sims757, and level ds 767, im wondering how much different is this aircraft, is it much harder to learn to fly? Thanks Joe Naps
If you really enjoy the two aircraft you have mentioned, then you might want to think twice about the MD-11. It really is a class ahead of them and certainly in my own experiance, having got used to flying the MD11 from the VC, I find it very hard to sit in the 767 and not think 'cartoon'.

Thanks for the tips guys. Right now i'm torn between the md-11 and the 747. both look like great aircraft to fly, i just can't pull the triger on either one yet. Joe Naps

MD11 gets better frame rates (though the 747-8i extentsion is apparently the same) and is a later PMDG aircraft so has some advancements. Plus it will broaden your experience and get you out of a Boeing for a little while (well it wasn't designed by Boeing). :DYou wont regret it.

MD11 gets better frame rates (though the 747-8i extentsion is apparently the same) and is a later PMDG aircraft so has some advancements. Plus it will broaden your experience and get you out of a Boeing for a little while (well it wasn't designed by Boeing). :DYou wont regret it.
Get The MD-11! You'll Love it. Its one of the best :( Plus you get Great frame rates and a good looking girl eer.. Plane too!

Dont delay . . . just get the MD-11. IT IS THE BEST AIRCRAFT ON EVERY LEVEL.