Sign in to follow this  
Guest Capholland

Dual Monitor: Undocked windows switch monitors upon Alt...

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Has any one found a solution to this FS2004 nag:In Windowed mode, I can undock with a right click and then drag the "Radio Stack" (or any other window such as the GPS, Throttle Quad. etc) to my second monitor. When I switch to Full Screen mode (Alt + Enter) the Radio Stack window remains where I placed it on the second monitor. But when I again "Alt+Enter" again to re-enter windowed mode, the Radio Stack window returns to monitor number one. Very irritating.I've tried Nvidia drivers 44.03 and most recently went back to 29.58, that came with Win XP Pro all with Direct X DX 9.0b. Both drivers have same problem. FS2002 didn't have this quirk.FYI, In FS2004, each monitor can be set to a different resolution. Until I set ti4600.0 to the same resolution as ti4600.1 in Options, Settings Display, Hardware, I had all kinds of display problems but the problem of the wayward windows remains even though I have both monitor resolutions set to 1024 x 1280. System Details: Leadtek nVidia GeForce Ti4600 128 MB feeding two 19 inch analog monitors. Number one directly and number two through LeadTek's DVI dongle. MB is Asus P4PE with 1 GB 2.4 P4 GHz not over clocked. XP Pro. Larry JonesFlorence, MT

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Ref above: Dual Monitor: Undocked windows switch monitors upon Alt+EnterMore Info on further testing below:Tried nVidia Beta version 45.20 from 3dGuru. Same effect latest driver didn't help. Also fired up FS2002. There the GPS, Radio Stack, and Throttle Quad. windows all stay where you place them on the second monitor regardless of the number of times you Alt+Enter. This with FS2002 driven with 45.20 drivers and DX9.0b and same display settings as when the nag shows up in FS2004.Problem still not solved but it did definitely arrived with FS2004!Larry JonesFlorence, MT

Guest wkzzo

Larry .I have a copy of Fs2004 sitting next to my computer, and this is the only reason its still sitting there. Till a solution is found I cant justify uninstalling fs2002 which runs 3 monitors in full screen mode to perfection. For the life of me ,I can't beleive not one person noticed this in beta, is running dual monitors that rare. Every new video card has the capability so I can't see why no one would take advantage of it(CRT's are a dime a dozen)The only thing I can come up with is MS made a mistake("Advanced multi monitor support"), there is no way they would have crippled fs2004 like this on purpose. Sorry I can't offer a solution ,hopefully it will get solved.

Guest Tim_mx

Same thing happens with Matrox Parhelia and Matrox make the best multi monitor cards. (Not the fastest though ;-)) I've checked out their support forum but there's nothing on this yet. Some bugs with CoF have apparently been fixed but not yet made it to the latest drivers.

Guest wkzzo

Anybody? Bueller?, Bueller?, Why would this be specifically a video driver problem ,as opposed to a configuration setting within fs2004,it seems like such a simple thing, the ability to undock in full screen as opposed to windowed(works perfect in fs2002, but why not fs2004?) ,seems like there has to be a config switch somewhere Ms forgot to program as =1 instead of =0

Larry, did you try to fix it in FSUIPC, in "technical" bookmark there's a box to tic saying something: stop windows resizing etc. I'll try it myself when I'm at my computer because I have a registered version of FSUIPC. I always fly 3-4 monitors so If I haven't noticed this problem it might work o.k.I'll check and let you know.

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Hello Dirk,The check mark you referred to is on FSUIPC's Technical Tab titled "Stop Cockpit Sizing and Moving"?If so, the willful windows still refuse to stay put. At least that's what I found here. I have registered versions of both FSUIPC and WideFS.Good idea though! I hope the fix is something simple. Later I'm going to peek in fs9.cfg and see if there is any line that could conceivably be possibly related to this problem.ThanksLarry JonesFlorence, MT

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

Wallace,FS2004 "does" run with dual monitors. You must be in windowed mode first. Then in the case of the radio stack(other windows are the same), click on the radio stack icon to display the radio stack window, right click on the radio stack window to undock it, drag the radio stack window to the secondary monitor. Then do a Alt+Enter to go to Full Screen Mode. The radio stack window stays put in the secondary monitor.***BUT*** if you Alt+Enter again(which gets you back to Windowed Mode), the radio stack window flies over to your primary monitor and you will find it is now undocked. A real irritation since FS2002 didn't have this quirk, as you know.If you have the hard disk space, you can put FS2004 in it's own directory and have the capability to run both FS's from the same computer (but probably not at the same time!!!). FS2004 is definitely an improvement. I'd give it a try.Larry JonesFlorence, MT

Guest drobson

Another problem I have, is once I get the gps or whatever placed on the secondary monitor, the entire screen goes black except whatever windows I've placed there. I like to run fsmeteoe on the secondary, but with fs2004, everything is blacked out. (I'm running the 45.20 drivers---nothing else will work at all).Darrell

Guest wkzzo

Larry, yes I understand this is the way it can be done in fs2004, But I have to know why. For what reason did MS do this. If there is a good reason I surely can't think of it. I may take the plunge and install it, I dont know yet. Did any users of the press release or gold version have this problem? ,or did it crop up in the final release only? Someone must have Beta tested with dual monitors. No? maybe? Anybody?

Guest wkzzo

Computer guru's,anyone with programming experience care to add any thoughts on this.

Guest LarryJ_KMSO

For all who are following this thread:I complained politely to nVidia. Just this morning I received this response ( repeated below FYI):-----------------------------------------------------------Thanks for your email. NVIDIA is aware of this problem with Flight Sim 2004. We are working to resolve the problem in a future driver release.Please sign up for driver update notification to be notified via e-mail of future driver updates.http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?FO=driver_updateThank you, NVIDIA Support Team

Guest cw1011

I anyone getting extreme sound degradation when they do the full-screen windowed mode dance to get sub panels on to a second monitor. I notice that when I switch into FS after setting up my cockpit, I get terrible sound degradation.Any thoughts or fixes?Colin