Sign in to follow this  
ghiom

FS9 and 16:9

Does FS9 support 16:9 resolution w/o distortion in the image ratio?ThanksGhiom

FS9 supports any ratio.....It's not FS9 that has to support a certain ratio/panel size, but the developer has to create a (2D) panel in the proper ratio(s).VC is always rendered correctly by FS.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I am now flying at 1200x1024 with nHancer and 8x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering.With the 24" monitor, I will be able to run at much higher resolution. Will I still need the same nHancer settings or will I be able to relax them for the same visual quality.Can I expect a drop in FPS?(I have a 8800 GTS that I am not replacing at this time)ThanksGhiom

I am now flying at 1200x1024 with nHancer and 8x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering.With the 24" monitor, I will be able to run at much higher resolution. --------- . Can I expect a drop in FPS?(I have a 8800 GTS that I am not replacing at this time)ThanksGhiom
Ghiom- every pixel has to be computed by your CPU. The higher the resolution, the more pixels & the harder the CPU has to work. At some point the CPU may say- "Wait a moment- I'm too busy". That's a stutter. Lower FPS isn't necessarily bad- but any reduction in FPS brings you closer to the magic 15 FPS where the smoothness is no longer satisfactory. Since the computational demands vary as you fly, twist and turn and enter highly detailed scenery areas, it's wise to have some FPS cushion- well above that 15 "no go" point. How big a safety margin depends on how & where you fly and the specific airplane. There is no simple answer as to what is acceptable.Alex Reid

Thanks for your reply.The next question would be. Will a higher resolution allow me to reduce the anti aliasing and anisotropic settings?Or this was possible only when moving (back) from LCD to CRT?Thanks again.Ghiom

Thanks for your reply.The next question would be. Will a higher resolution allow me to reduce the anti aliasing and anisotropic settings?Or this was possible only when moving (back) from LCD to CRT?Thanks again.Ghiom
Sorry- can't help. I have no idea what these do. Looking at my FS9 Display/Hardware settings, I see that the Anti Aliasing box is not ticked.My video cards are 6 years old- GeForce FX 5200 AGP & PCI. I'm using 1024x768 res. With 3 monitors, that's equivalent of 3072x768. AMD XP 2200 /1.8 GHz CPU produces 16-24 FPS triple mon or 30-50 single mon. FS settings vary- mostly mid to max, AI low.I use both a KDS CRT & 2 LCDs (Acer & IBM) in a single triple wide desktop. With an initial bit of colour balancing, you can't tell them apart when running FS9.Alex Reid

No, not really. I've moved from a 19" to a 24" and had to keep all my settings the same.Also, I had to upgrade my 8800gts 512mb to a 275gtx to keep the fps where it was. (a 260 would have done well too)