Sign in to follow this  

What is a good paint program?

I'm looking for a new picture editing program to edit textures, 'cause MSpaint just isn't cutting it. I've heard good things about Paint Shop Pro, but when I went to CompUSA yesterday, it was $100! That's a little out of my budget. Does anyone know of a good paint program for under, say, fifty bucks? The features that I would like are lighting effects (for creating night textures) and the ability to easily cut out complex shapes. Thanks in advance!

try their PSP pdemo for 30 days full accessJacks Software 9spelling??) do a search

Try www.serif.com and take a look at Photoplus 8 .They have really good software and you can haggle with them about the prices.. :-)

Guest freequest

Well Paint shop pro is great... just get the free demo and see if you like it :)

I use Photoimpact for all my repaints. I did buy it at some point to get full functionality (I think I have 5, they're up to 7 or 8 now) but I started with a version off a Computer mag.I suggest you start with one of those freeware progs first to see whether you like repainting, before you shell out hard-earned cash.I do, actually, have Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop which I use for other things, but have stuck with what I know for flightsim work. What you are comfortable with, works best.You're right to dump MS Paint, though. Gives you no flexibility at all.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

I have already tried repainting Mike Stone's 727 with MS Paint, and I think I did a pretty good job, but having more flexibility would definitely make it quicker and easier. I need to modify some textures for a scenery that I'm creating also, and Paint just doesn't have any function that allows you to place something that resembles the glow of a light. What's the retail price for photoimpact? Thanks for all of the replies, by the way!

Guest freequest

One thing i like about paint shop pro is the color picker makes it so much easyer to match a color. As i have never tred any other paint program im not sure if others have the same thing though im asuming they do.

Just saw an ad in the sunday paper for Staples who is offering Paint Shop Pro 8 for $89.99 ($10 cheaper than other places where I have seen it) plus there is a $30.00 instant savings plus another $30.00 rebate for those who are upgrading. Final cost is $59.99 for new users and $29.99 for those upgrading. Sounds a lot better than $100.Bob

www.gimp.comits free, and as full featured as nearly all the good graphics progys.pixia is another, don't know it as well, but also free.Bob B