Sign in to follow this  
bojote

FSX + BP=0 + nVidia GTX 480

I'll be doing multiple posts... this one, is not FSX related. its about TEMPS.My GTX 285, idles at 49c.. this GTX 480 idles at 71c, and under furmark goes to 95, but I didn't let go further because my UPS overload alarm started sounding... so, not the best way to impress me :) anyway... next is the 'apples to apples' comparison. I've not changed my FSX config. lets see how that goes.

I'll be doing multiple posts... this one, is not FSX related. its about TEMPS.My GTX 285, idles at 49c.. this GTX 480 idles at 71c, and under furmark goes to 95, but I didn't let go further because my UPS overload alarm started sounding... so, not the best way to impress me :) anyway... next is the 'apples to apples' comparison. I've not changed my FSX config. lets see how that goes.
Keep us up to date, I may have to get me one..... :(

I'll be interested in your results. Any words of wisdom with the new cards and any tips greatly appreciated.My 470 idles at 68-70 with a 40% fan speed.

Keep us up to date, I may have to get me one..... :(
Ok.. second test, its in Manhattan (with Manhattan X installed and FSDT KJFK)The GTX 285 will show a GPU usage of 73%The GTX 480 stays at 40% :) thats IMPRESSIVE.... again, this is an apples to apples vs the GTX 285, I've not changed ANYTHING in my config. All sliders are maxed EXCEPT AG (which is set to sparse) for the test. AA and AF is application controlled, ENBSeries installed, vSync is set to ON, using Multiple monitor setup (clone mode) and 1280x720 (for this test)here's the GPU-z screenies:so in terms of the card ability to 'render' objects, is twice as fast as the GTX 285, lets see how that impacts 'FPS'

so in terms of the card ability to 'render' objects, is twice as fast as the GTX 285, lets see how that impacts 'FPS'
FPS is 'identical' to the GTX 285... not a single digit drop or gain, this is a good sign. On the test I'm using (Full AI, Scenery Objects, Heavy weather, Level-d) the ATI lost 6 FPS!! the GTX 480 does not seem to suffer here :)next test... FULL SLIDERS, Unlimited FPS, manhattan X, 1920x1080, ENBSeries and vsync ON and clone monitor mode. (I'll not use nhancer for now)

Looking good so far, but there seems to be a problem using very high resolutions... doesn't seem to be BP related because I can't even start FSX. weird... will keep testing

Looking good so far, but there seems to be a problem using very high resolutions... doesn't seem to be BP related because I can't even start FSX. weird... will keep testing
There is a problem with the top three numbers here.....what's up with that??post-101517-1271271016.jpg

Solved.. the veredict in 15-20 minutes, and no.. don't go buying it just yet, READ first and make your decision later. there is something you NEED to know.
There is a problem with the top three numbers here.....what's up with that??post-101517-1271271016.jpg
thats what GPU-Z is reporting :) I sent them 'as is' if you look at memory usage it even has a minus (-) sign.. don't know why. probably we need a newer GPU-Z for the 400's

Ok, the conclusions now:Will this card allow you to run BP=0 + ENBSeries, nHancer, MultiMonitor, High resolution and ALL sliders to the right? (except Bloom/Water 2.0 Max/Car traffic) the short answer:YES!! it will ;) however.. there is a catch. after 50 FPS, you'll see spikes, they don't crash the sim, they don't make it unstable, it will not stutter, but you'll get those spikes after 50 FPS., the ATI, not even at 100 FPS will show a single spike, so the increased shader processors in the ATI DO help in that case, particularly, with Autogen.So.. who will most benefit from a GTX 480? someone who likes BP=0, flies COMPLEX aircraft, likes MAX sliders to the right, wants HIGH IQ but is ok flying with frames locked at 25/30 FPS.If you are the kind of person who thinks that the sim looks more 'realistic' when running it at 60FPS, don't waste your money. Get the ATI. You'll get reduced FPS on complex areas with heavy weather and complex aircraft, but you can virtually fly artifact free when you go over 60 FPS.Since I had the oportunity to test all, the GTX 285, the ATI 5870, and now this GTX 480 I can tell you that for my particular flying style (frames locked at 25) and FULL SLIDERS this card is absolute bliss. fantastic. Will it get better for FSX with new drivers? I don't think so.. I will get better on the next re-spin/revision (GTX 485) were it will have MORE shader processors (512) instead of 480.so.. up to you to decide. I'll do some flying now :)

Very nice *******, a very useful review. Kinda reminds me of those general freaks who upgrade to anything new, no insult intended here :) People are gonna start buying the card, spending immense mounts of cash, just to get slightly more out of the FSX, couple of months later, we are gonna have a new version of the card (or anything else for that matter), and cycle is going to repeat again!I for that matter am going to stay with my GTX285.

I for that matter am going to stay with my GTX285.
In fact, as I said, not a SINGLE digit gain in FPS. the GTX 480 will only help those using BP=0 with a GTX 200 series card and having instability problems. (or guys like me who like to max everything and keep things stable)So... if you are having good performance/stability with your GTX 200... don't waste your money. AND if you want an affordable GTX 285 (2GB) for $200 PM me, I'm selling mine.

Ok, the conclusions now:Will this card allow you to run BP=0 + ENBSeries, nHancer, MultiMonitor, High resolution and ALL sliders to the right? (except Bloom/Water 2.0 Max/Car traffic) the short answer:YES!! it will ;) however.. there is a catch. after 50 FPS, you'll see spikes, they don't crash the sim, they don't make it unstable, it will not stutter, but you'll get those spikes after 50 FPS., the ATI, not even at 100 FPS will show a single spike, so the increased shader processors in the ATI DO help in that case, particularly, with Autogen.So.. who will most benefit from a GTX 480? someone who likes BP=0, flies COMPLEX aircraft, likes MAX sliders to the right, wants HIGH IQ but is ok flying with frames locked at 25/30 FPS.If you are the kind of person who thinks that the sim looks more 'realistic' when running it at 60FPS, don't waste your money. Get the ATI. You'll get reduced FPS on complex areas with heavy weather and complex aircraft, but you can virtually fly artifact free when you go over 60 FPS.Since I had the oportunity to test all, the GTX 285, the ATI 5870, and now this GTX 480 I can tell you that for my particular flying style (frames locked at 25) and FULL SLIDERS this card is absolute bliss. fantastic. Will it get better for FSX with new drivers? I don't think so.. I will get better on the next re-spin/revision (GTX 485) were it will have MORE shader processors (512) instead of 480.so.. up to you to decide. I'll do some flying now :)
---------------------------------------------Thanks for the observations, *******. I find that at BP=1000000 or 500000 with the sim mostly max'ed is handled very well by my GTX285/197.45 driver suite. I think that I'll put away the wallet and keep flying. Thanks for the info. Your work has brought some pretty stellar results to my system!Mitch

---------------------------------------------Thanks for the observations, *******. I find that at BP=1000000 or 500000 with the sim mostly max'ed is handled very well by my GTX285/197.45 driver suite. I think that I'll put away the wallet and keep flying. Thanks for the info. Your work has brought some pretty stellar results to my system!Mitch
Excelent then! I'll probably do more tests during the week to see what the impact is when overclocking the shader processors to > 1600 but, I don't expect any miracles.

I too also find that using BP=500000 works the best for my i7-920@4Ghz with 1GB GTX285. Anything less and I get spikes and at BP=1000000, I get some stuttering.

I too also find that using BP=500000 works the best for my i7-920@4Ghz with 1GB GTX285. Anything less and I get spikes and at BP=1000000, I get some stuttering.
Interesting... since all the research I've been doing focused on BP=0 I never mentioned something that might 'explain' why so do have good results with 500.000.There is 'yet another' hidden variable in BufferPools ;) its called: RejectThreshold. like this:RejectThreshold=1000000So, if you want to experiment (you say 1000000 will give you problems) so, reduce the threshold to 500.000 and leave PoolSize at a high value. (default)