Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Installing leaked nVidia 45.20 drivers....?

Excuse me, folks, but I found a thread earlier that I now cannot re-locate by somebody here who used leaked nVidia 45.20 drivers. I downloaded them from 3D Guru and my question is, since they are not official, are they self-installing like nVidia ones or do you need to put them all in manually?At present, I am using the 30.82 drivers that I reverted to from 41.07 because the 41.07 didn't work at all well. I've also got DirectX9.0b installed and that's improved things further.Appreciate posts, thanks!JS

Guest allcott

No, not self installing. Unzip to a temporary folder then use the device manager to install the `old fashioned` way by pointing to the temp folder for a manual installation.They are great drivers.Allcott

Guest ssurjap

1) Create a subdirectory (call it VIDEO DRIVER, NVIDIA, VIDEO, whatever).2) Run the executable. It'll ask you where you want to unzip the files. Specify the directory you created in step 1.3) OPTIONAL, but RECOMMENDED, uninstall your current driver through ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.** Some has suggested that you remove any nv*.*nf files so Windows will install the default VGA driver. It's up to you whether you want to do that or not.4) Once your computer reboots, it'll install whatever standard driver is available.5) Right click on your desktop.6) Left click on properties.7) Click on Settings.8) Click on Advanced.9) Click on Adapter.10) Click on Properties.11) Click on the Driver Tab12) Click on Update driver13) Click on Choose from a list14) Follow the prompts to navigate to where you stored your driver.15) Reboot.

Steve (and Allcott):Thanks for your assistance. It went excellently :-jumpy thanks to your guidance. All works fine except for certain aspects of the menu operation which are sometimes blanked/blacked out when navigating them. But I do have full FS2004 functionality despite this.What a massive diff. now with these drivers. FPS are up over the 30.82 (and 41.07) drivers by at least 25%, perhaps more, and I can load 3-D clouds at 100% as well but I am keeping them at 50% for now as I fiddle and tweak.This is gonna need LOTS of tweaking (like all previous versions, I guess), but I am feeling a great deal more hopeful than last night when I felt like tossing FS and my PC with it.Thanks again.JS:-hah :-cool

If you have issues with the pull-down menus, start up FS and shut it down in windowed mode. Alt-enter to get there from full screen. Suddenly, the menus work great! When you are ready to fly, alt-enter gets you back to Full Screen mode.There is a fs9.cfg setting Full_Screen=0 or 1.. set this to 0.Ti4200, 44.03 drivers.

Bert

Bert:Thanks!I am such a madman, I forgot that this version runs in windowed mode which I have not used for years. All works great now.We can always use help like this, thanks again!JS

Bert:Y'know, the strange thing is that after using windowed mode half a dozen times today, I now find that the menus have a fair degree of functionality in full screen mode. This is largely because I once again forgot about switching from full screen back to windowed mode to use the menus.I often have wondered if PC's "learn" routines through sheer user repetition. Or at least if they learn to make fewer "mistakes" as one forces them to follow certain routines.Just a thought.....JS

You are welcome! I'm still puzzled that Microsoft managed to change the full screen implementation so that most popular video cards are unable to handle it... all previous versions of FS worked with no problem what so ever, how did that get through Beta?? Anyone have an opinion on this?

Bert