Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

EVGA or ASUS or does it matter?

I was wondering if someone could educate me about the difference between manufactures. I would like to purchase a gtx480 but I don't know if I should choose asus or evga or if it matters. I have always been loyal to evga based on solid reputation. Thanks in advance

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I was wondering if someone could educate me about the difference between manufactures. I would like to purchase a gtx480 but I don't know if I should choose asus or evga or if it matters. I have always been loyal to evga based on solid reputation. Thanks in advance
I stick with eVGA for the lifetime warranty and actual human beings that answer the phone, are actively present in their forums and provide real support. ASUS builds decent stuff, but my experience with their support is that you would need to get on a plane, fly to Taiwan, and put a pistol to someone's head to get a question answered.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

At the moment all gtx470/480 are made from nvidia directly (PCB & all components, expect water blocks of corse). So technically it does not matter which brand do you choose.

I stick with eVGA for the lifetime warranty and actual human beings that answer the phone, are actively present in their forums and provide real support. ASUS builds decent stuff, but my experience with their support is that you would need to get on a plane, fly to Taiwan, and put a pistol to someone's head to get a question answered.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO
LOL! Another rare but priceless answer that colours our otherwise grey and drab world!! :( Stephen

My personal experience with gcard RMAs:evga: An RMA number was issued withing 24 hours of my first notification, a replacement was shipped the day they received my card and the replacement was a better card than the failed card (got a 8800 gts 512 in exchange for a 8800 gt that had a dual slot cooler).Asus: Received a replacement card after nearly 6 weeks of waiting with zero feedback from them, though the transaction was handled through the shop where I had purchased the custom built computer. Ended up buying a new card after 3 weeks of waiting and sold their replacement on e-bay. At least it too was a better card than the failed card but after 6 weeks of waiting that really didn't matter (other than I got a better price for it).The only Asus product I'll buy are their mobos (well maybe their monitors too), and even then I still cringe a bit at the thought of an RMA. I'd have gotten an evga mobo for my latest build if they made one with a feature set that fit my neeeds.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

I

I've had too many problems with ASUS brand products. I highly recommend EVGA.
Does anyone know what about Gainward GPUs?

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Does anyone know what about Gainward GPUs?
As somebody posted up-thread, right now all of the nVidia 470/480 video cards are made in the same factory by nVidia and marketed by a variety of different vendors (eVGA, Gigabyte, ASUS, and Gainward among others).The difference is in the support you get...I can't help with Gainward, but I'd look for their forums and see how (or if) they answer questions, google them looking for problems etc.I have experience with ASUS and eVGA support--ASUS required a largely self-help journey through a lot of Chinglish documentation on an unfriendly FTP server and virtually no vendor support. eVGA has active forums with vendor experts helping, they answer their phones, and their warranty response on my misbehaving 285 has been great...so much so I waited for one of their hard-to-find 480's to come into my sights rather than buy from another vendor earlier.I do understand that eVGA RMAs are a bit harder to deal with from outside the US/Canada/EU areas (mostly due to shipping/phone issues).CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks to everyone who responded. Very helpful. I currently have a evga 9800 gtx card on RMA and I have been waiting for three weeks for it now. The RMA is through a local shop and not evga. I am going to drop that card into a new build specifcally for 55" LED tv. I orderd the evga gtx 480 sc from tigerdirect. I guess it is like sticking with the resturaunt where you know you are going to get a good meal.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg