Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Great Post on Overcast Clouds...

Guest jase439

This is a must read (probably belongs in the COF tips thread actually):http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...28918&mode=fullYou still get a few little holes here and there every so often, but at about a tenth of the frequency as before. Adds to the realism actually. I think it's a byproduct of the dynamic weather. I had no holes initiallly, but after about 20-30 minutes, I started seeing a few isolated patches in the overcast with different cloud formations occupying the 'holes'

jase439- thanks for linking to my post, and posting some screens. Since that thread, I have seen a few posts about the same problem. I have done some more experimenting since the original post, but combining low vis with the cloud layer is still the key. I have also had good success with two layers of stratus, one from 2000 to 3999, the next from 4000 to 6500. Then a layer of 1/16th vis from 2000 to 5000. If you like more of a "deck" then this looks a little better. Personally, I like the cumulus. Flying just over the tops is loads of fun. Also, I have backed cloud density off from "maximum" to "high". I get more holes, but I don't get the giant hole above me after descending. I think with maximum density, FS9 is trying to get better framerates by knocking down the clouds. Overall, I am having too much fun shooting approaches. The other day my wife said she hasn't seen me in a week.

Guest jase439

You can also improve performance, my reducing the 3D clouds percentage. FS will still draw clouds out to the maximum cloud draw distance, but it will render them as a 2D textured surface instead of a volume. Not a huge gain, but you can pick up 10-15% or so. I have mine set to 60% 3D clouds.For best overcast results, it's best if you limit your maximum visibility to 60-80 miles and set the cloud draw distance to the same, otherwise you'll get a very visible line on the horizon where the cloud line stops.

Guest jase439

It is done, UberMeister.