Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Interesting Announcement from Microsoft

Interesting...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Nobody's home.
What you talking 'bout Willis? That announcement went "live" only two weeks ago. Quite obviously, there are still a few folks around... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I wonder why everyone complains flight sims are a niche market, yet this happens.
Because Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is reported to have sold a million copies on the first day of release. Flight Simulator sells about a million a year- in a good year!

Do you honestly think that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be selling about a million copies a year in three or four years?Best regards,Mel

Do you honestly think that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will be selling about a million copies a year in three or four years?Best regards,Mel
The previous version sold 7 million copies in 2007 so I wouldn't be suprised if the next version sold a similar number in 2013.I don't believe FSX sales will be anywhere 1 million sales in the same year. FSx only once reached 1 million a year.

It might... but then... CoD:MW2 isn't exactly something that requires knowledge... it only requires 'gaming skillz'. Kids gravitate towards such things like moths to a flame.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest JoeInCT
What you talking 'bout Willis? That announcement went "live" only two weeks ago. Quite obviously, there are still a few folks around... :(
I was speaking metaphorically as well... If they were paying attention, they would have ordered more copies BEFORE they ran out. How many sales DIDN'T happen because it wasn't available? Not to mention Steve Balmer is a complete and total idiot. Also meant there's "nobody home" between his ears.

FSX was a PC only release, where MW2 was PC, Xbox 360, and PS3, so that automatically blows that comparison out of the water, especially when you consider that most of those sales are on the console, and that the PC users boycotted MW2 because Infinty Ward pretty much gave the bird to the PC users.Source: http://kotaku.com/5426474/report-modern-wa...000-in-novemberNote that November is the month MW2 was released.

I don't believe FSX sales will be anywhere 1 million sales in the same year. FSx only once reached 1 million a year.
That oft cited number was for the US only...No stats have ever been released for worldwide sales.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That oft cited number was for the US only...No stats have ever been released for worldwide sales.
Given that most simmers I've met are from Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if the actual number was more around 3-4 million or so.

True, but according to NPD, the US sales of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 were 8.82 million in 2009 with world-wide sales of 11.82 million.http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_100203a.htmlThe only reference I can find to FSX was in the corrected NPD figures for 2007 where FSX ranked 9th in the list of PC (not all) games with sales of 280 thousand. It's not clear if this is US only or worldwide.http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17129I suggest these figures shown that Flight Simulator is a niche market.Incidentally, I can't find a reference to the often quoted 1 million figure.

True, but according to NPD, the US sales of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 were 8.82 million in 2009 with world-wide sales of 11.82 million.http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_100203a.htmlThe only reference I can find to FSX was in the corrected NPD figures for 2007 where FSX ranked 9th in the list of PC (not all) games with sales of 280 thousand. It's not clear if this is US only or worldwide.http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17129I suggest these figures shown that Flight Simulator is a niche market.Incidentally, I can't find a reference to the often quoted 1 million figure.
Coincidently you leave out that MW2 only sold 170,000 units on the PC in it's first month released. MW2 sold 97% of it's sales on console. FSX never was released on console. You CAN NOT compare those numbers without it being a skewed result.Also: NPD only factors in places like Best Buy, and Walmart, and only in the USA. In other words, if you bought it from say, the AVSIM store, Just Flight, or GoGamer, it wouldn't show up on NPD. The NPD numbers aren't accurate for any recent PC games that have been released on Steam, or any of those providers ether.