Sign in to follow this  

What is SideStepping in FS2004 ATC

Guest United

What does is mean when ATC says: "Cleared for approach 28L, sidestep 28R" or some such. It happens particularly on dual runways when you've been cleared for a VRF approach to one of two parallel runways and you request the other runway??Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest CargoMun

Im wondering too why mention the "old" runway when one is cleared to land on the second one mentioned. I had this happening last night also at EHAM Amsterdam but that isnt even runways who are directly parallel.

Guest Jozef_K

This is what I have found about it:Sidestep ManeuverA visual maneuver accomplished by a pilot at the completionof an instrument approach to permit a straight-in landing on aparallel runway not more than 1,200 feet to either side of therunway to which the instrument approach was conducted.Jozef http://www.dse.nl/~joker32/pictures/signature.jpg

Guest Stephan

I think this happens if you ask for a different approach without asking for a different runway first?Meaning, if cleared for visual 28L, and you want to land on 28R, you should ask ATC for a rwy change from 28L to 28R, rather than an approach change.GreetingsStephan

Guest United

Stephan, In the instance of 28L/28R (obviously KSFO), I did ask for a runway change only....never asked for an approach change, and still got the sidestepping command however, the post above yours is a good explanation: follow the ILS down until you have visual on the original runway. Even so, this seems really unconventional, is it a real aviation ATC thing??? ......... Cause I know in Radar Contact, the controller simply says "Yes" change, by all means!!!!.....hmmm I think I'll query the RC people!Randy Jura, KPDX

Guest Nathan Palmer

My take on the matter is that it allows take offs on the orginal runway and allows an ILS approach til visual so that it could, I say could, help in the flow of moving traffic. Not sure how much but at least its new and something different to enjoy. I havent tried but will tonight see if there is a circle to land where you fly the ils til bleow the ceiling and can see the field then land on a runway that favors the wind like an ILS approach on runway 9 circle to land runway 36.NP

Guest Stephan

Randy,I'm aware of the real world meaning of a side step. I thought it's the FS9 logic to change the runway rather than the approach (in FS9 that is, not in RW).Saying this, because I also got the sidestep clearance in FS9 once after requesting a different approach (visual 18R with sidestep to 18L, original approach clearance from ATC was Visual 18L). Only after requesting a runway change to 18R, I got the rwy I wanted to land on: 18R.Could also be in FS9 logic, you got to ask for rwy AND approach change? Let's try some more.GreetingsS.

Though I had never heard the term 'sidestepping' I do know (after reading the explanation) that it happens in real life too. I frequently visit EHAM. On my scanner (AOR AR8000) I often hear pilots being cleared on the 27 ILS approach, while ATC clears them to land on 24. This only happens at peak times and good visual circumstances and small/medium aircrafts only.

Straight out of the AIM (Airman's Information Manual). I tried to find it in the 7110.65 (Air Traffic Control Regulations for the US) but no such luck. Alot of mumbo jumbo, but I hope this helps.Section 4. Arrival Procedures 5-4-17. Side-step Maneuver a. ATC may authorize a nonprecision approach procedure which serves either one of parallel runways that are separated by 1,200 feet or less followed by a straight-in landing on the adjacent runway. b. Aircraft that will execute a side-step maneuver will be cleared for a specified nonprecision approach and landing on the adjacent parallel runway. Example, "cleared ILS runway 7 left approach, side-step to runway 7 right." Pilots are expected to commence the side-step maneuver as soon as possible after the runway or runway environment is in sight. c. Landing minimums to the adjacent runway will be based on nonprecision criteria and therefore higher than the precision minimums to the primary runway, but will normally be lower than the published circling minimums.

>Straight out of the AIM (Airman's Information Manual).Make that the Aeronautical Information Manual. :-lol