Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

FS2004 "milky" water?

After reading the AVSim review of FS2004, it seems I'm not the only one who don't like the color of the ocean in FS2004.To see what I mean, just start up from e.g. Seattle or some other place with lots of water. Initially use the "Fair Weather" theme and watch the water...it's too bright and not realistic at all. Now, go into the weather option and switch to the "Clear Weather" theme (no clouds). Now watch the water, it's a nice deep blue color with realistic reflections.Apparently, the unrealistic water is displayed when cloud cover is at 6/8 or more. Microsoft recommends editing individual weather stations and set cloud cover to less than 6/8 (the default for Fair Weather theme) to get rid of the "milky" water. However, this is tedious and awkward and settings are not saved in the weather theme.I'm sure that eventually, third party water textures will improve the situation, and weather SDK's will allow us to edit the entire theme, rather than individual stations, but until then, is it possible to either change the water so you always get the deep blue water, or globally editing the weather theme?Short of using a HEX-editor, I have not found any way to change the cloud cover for the ENTIRE weather theme, only manually editing weather stations.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

OK, I found a way to solve the problem but I'm not sure it will work since I can't test it right now.The reflection map for overcast water reflections is called env_overcast.bmp (Flight Simulator 9SceneryWorldtexture). I think this affect all water color, but it's possible it only affects the reflection of the sun.For now, I'll just replace it with the reflection map for normal sunny map and see what happens.If it does, I'll make a better overcast reflection map. I'll probably work with the env_midsun.bmp map and tone down the blue, but not so much as Microsoft did with their overcast reflection map. The MS default reflection map for overcast is actually completely grey.I can understand how the Flight Simulator team were thinking when they designed those textures, but it just doesn't look good when displayed in FS2004, especially since the overcast map is triggered by ANY 6/8 or denser cloud layer, even if it's a layer at 40 000 ft.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

>After reading the AVSim review of FS2004, it seems I'm not>the only one who don't like the color of the ocean in FS2004.Try setting Terrain Detail - Land and Water to FULL.and Water Effects to NONEWater shows as deep blue. Much more realistic IMHO.

John

Yes, disabling the new reflective water alltogether produces better ocean colour, but you're missing out on the new reflective water effects which at times looks amazing (and at other times, crappy). I'm sure that we'll soon get improved water textures from FSW or other talented artists, just as we got improved water effects for FS2002. I would gladly pay for such an addon (I know, don't give them any ideas :D ).

MSFS / XP

Guest twsimfan

Jimmi,That fix of turning the water effects off is good enough until something better comes along. I have that LA/SD scenery on order... maybe they will include some nice new textures. Thanks for the temp fix! :)