Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Grandma has died ten times already and other excuses...

It's time to discuss the topic of a new computer with the big boss aka wife. Going back to the first versions of Flight Simulator, I have used all sorts of excuses to justify upgrades or new computers (some justified, others just because I had to have the fastest thing on the block). I have always had the same M.O., first I would make comments about how slow my flight sim was running, then I would mention that everyone else on Avsim had faster computers, and finally I would crank on the sad puppy face. Oh, and I would say "this is the last time I need to upgrade" (yeah sure). Well I have been thinking about a new system based on the Intel 980 extreme cpu, dual ATI 5970 cards and solid state hard drives. No small expense. I need to know, will this configuration tame FSX with all the addons... GEX,REX,UTX,UT 2 and planes from PMDG with respectable frame rates? Thanks!

It's time to discuss the topic of a new computer with the big boss aka wife. Going back to the first versions of Flight Simulator, I have used all sorts of excuses to justify upgrades or new computers (some justified, others just because I had to have the fastest thing on the block). I have always had the same M.O., first I would make comments about how slow my flight sim was running, then I would mention that everyone else on Avsim had faster computers, and finally I would crank on the sad puppy face. Oh, and I would say "this is the last time I need to upgrade" (yeah sure). Well I have been thinking about a new system based on the Intel 980 extreme cpu, dual ATI 5970 cards and solid state hard drives. No small expense. I need to know, will this configuration tame FSX with all the addons... GEX,REX,UTX,UT 2 and planes from PMDG with respectable frame rates? Thanks!
I would say this is way over the top, and dual video cards do not even help in FSX.Suggest you go the hardware forum and read up on what others are using with good results.If money matters, get a nice i7 with cooler and overclock it, along with a single fast video card, andtwo fast hard drives, 6 GB of fast memory on a good motherboard and a solid power supply in a well vented case. That is about all you need.

Bert

It's time to discuss the topic of a new computer with the big boss aka wife. Going back to the first versions of Flight Simulator, I have used all sorts of excuses to justify upgrades or new computers (some justified, others just because I had to have the fastest thing on the block). I have always had the same M.O., first I would make comments about how slow my flight sim was running, then I would mention that everyone else on Avsim had faster computers, and finally I would crank on the sad puppy face. Oh, and I would say "this is the last time I need to upgrade" (yeah sure). Thanks!
C'mon! Who wears the pants in your family? Be a man. Do what I do. Sneak it in after she goes to sleep! :(

NAX669.png

Guest Thaellar

When I got my first laptop, I told my wife I bought it "accidentally". I did kind of. I went to a site called ubid and put what I thought was a ridiculously low bid on an HP laptop. I was the high bidder. :( Thaellar

With the new Bufferpool tweak, I think that the requirements for a PC are dropping significantly.This PC right here: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CG...mp;CJPID=889052should do great with FSX, when set up correctly. And it's less than 800 dollars all in. I think b/c it's an ASUS you can overclock it on the Mobo.
If ANYONE buys a cheap system with the intent of using tweaks like BP or others to make it work, they are flat out wrong and it's a complete waste of time and $$.Buy yourself a good system that will run FSX decently and THEN try the various tweaks, because if they do NOT work for you, you'll still be happy.For a LOT of people, the BP tweak is NOT the holy grail - a lot depends on your system AND your flight preferences.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Practice this line: "You're right, hon, I don't need all this new computer stuff. Hey, since there's nothing to do here at home, I'm gonna hit the pub with some of my friends. Don't wait up."

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

If ANYONE buys a cheap system with the intent of using tweaks like BP or others to make it work, they are flat out wrong and it's a complete waste of time and $$.Buy yourself a good system that will run FSX decently and THEN try the various tweaks, because if they do NOT work for you, you'll still be happy.For a LOT of people, the BP tweak is NOT the holy grail - a lot depends on your system AND your flight preferences.
The components in that system are not "cheap" in terms of quality, only price.

Check out Jetline Systems. Here's their website.... http://www.jetlinesystems.com/ They GUARANTEE it will work for FSX. That's their main mission when building computers. I did it and it was the best decision of my life for FSX. My Wife even loves the computer because she uses it as well for her purposes. It's a quality build with great service.Stan

Stan has pointed to a pretty good site above, and while I don't necessarily agree 100% with the sentiments of vgb here - his direction is totally correct, but the system PingPong is quoting doesn't have the right power supply - it's only 500watts - and to handle an i7 AND a decent video card you will need 800 or better. The video card needs to be a 470 or a 480 to get similar performance to that of bojote, et al. A 260 won't cut it. If you have an existing machine - gut it, put in a new mobo, gpu, i7 xxx and some top-level air cooling. Also - a 1 TB drive is no good if you want performance. It's never a good idea to put the game on the same drive as the OS. Get a smallish, fast SATA for your OS, something 150 - 300 SATA for the flight sim, and then something 500 - 1TB for the rest of the "stuff" you will accumulate. This big drive can also be partitioned for a "Ghost" backup of the OS. Velociraptors are good, but pricey. SSD's are even better, but even more pricey. The i7-920 (under $300) will o/c to 3.8 easily on air - even 4.0 with liquid cooling. My 950 (~$600) is very stable at 4.2 now, and with a Muggen 2 air cooler.A good read can be had at :- http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?threadid=5736

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

A.) Spec out and price your new system & components from Newegg. B1.) Explain to She Who Must Be Obeyed that she/the house/the kids will get the "old" MSFS computer all reloaded and cleaned up, making it faster than the general internet computer they use today... but it's not that "old", it's just old because it won't run this really intensive flight simulator. B2.) Explain to She Who Must Be Obeyed that the new computer is a zillion times faster than the old one, and when she uses it for her web access or whatever, it will benefit her too.C.) Commence begging and pleading.D.) Enjoy the new computer!

... another thought would be to set of a small firecracker next to the pc, while She Who Must Be Obeyed is watching TV. Immediately pull the plug, and let out a yell, while holding your wrist and stamping your feet.... :(

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

... another thought would be to set of a small firecracker next to the pc, while She Who Must Be Obeyed is watching TV. Immediately pull the plug, and let out a yell, while holding your wrist and stamping your feet.... :(
No no no. She will then say 'as your computer is now knackered and we can't afford to buy a new one you can now do the fence in the garden, concrete the drive, build the loft conversion etc etc that you've been saying you were going to do now. no excuses. It will do you good to stay away from those pesky planes for a bit. We can spend more time together. Come and sit here with me and watch Desperate Housewives and I've got an episode of Emmerdale to watch too so you can sit next to me and watch it' :(Better to stay with what you have than risk losing it all
Do what I do. Sneak it in after she goes to sleep! :(
:(

You should upgrade right now. It's easier to receive forgiveness than it is to receive permission. Just make sure you swing by the florist's on the way home from the computer store.

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"