Sign in to follow this  
bojote

FSX vSync FIX

Hm, bummer, I really can't get Vsync to work in windowed mode on my GTX285 (driver 196.21)... :( In fact, I can't get Vsync working in full screen either with this option... The ONLY way to get Vsync is to force it with the driver... :( Anyone knows what's wrong here...? (I'm on Windows 7 btw.)EDIT:FullScreen Vsync does work now when I use the option to let the program take care of Vsync. Windowed mode still doesn't work...

Hi Pete, sure.. it was last year, around March, here:http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?...t=75281#p462202
Ah, but that was suggesting trying to emulate their gauge (hacking into it) and trying to use their Network connection (their port) to send the right messages, or engage in whatever protocol they have going. It isn't a simple matter of using SimConnect, which doesn't appear relevant to this as far as I can see.Hacking into someone else's Network protocol is not something I'd want to get into. I wouldn't even like doing it for WideFS's protocol, and I know a reasonable amount about that! ;-)Hacking into their gauge and making a hook in it to call some of my code might be more feasible. But again not something to be entered into lightly.Never mind. It was a strraw I was clutching at anyway.Best RegardsPete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I would like to add that "ForceWindowedVSync=1" works perfectly on my GTX280.And thats using TrackIR, which seems very sensitive to the VSync setting, but now Application-controlled its even smoother than before. Running OrbX PNW and REX with my FPS at a set and steady 25.
Yes, of course it does, it won't go over 30 though, even if you want it to (in windowed only).

In [GRAPHICS] (not DISPLAY) add this:ForceFullScreenVSync=1And yes, its 1, not 'True'and set your driver to let the application manage vsync. just tested now with my nVidia card, and I can confirm it works. Can an ATI user test? I tested also in my laptop which uses a crappy intel card and it also worked... so either I'm completely dilusional or this is one of those 'miracle tweaks' (for ATI users) test and report.
I tried this tweak with my 8800GTX card. my fps dropped and 10 mins into the flight, my system frooze. This was in windowed mode. Went back to force off in invidia control panel and was able to complete flight without issue. I'm using external FPS locked to 26 and internal set to unlimited.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Hm, bummer, I really can't get Vsync to work in windowed mode on my GTX285 (driver 196.21)... :( In fact, I can't get Vsync working in full screen either with this option... The ONLY way to get Vsync is to force it with the driver... :( Anyone knows what's wrong here...? (I'm on Windows 7 btw.)EDIT:FullScreen Vsync does work now when I use the option to let the program take care of Vsync. Windowed mode still doesn't work...
Try FORCEVSYNC= (either 1 or true) for Windowed mode.

Yes, of course it does, it won't go over 30 though, even if you want it to (in windowed only).
Word Not Allowed,I'm not quite sure I follow you, but nevertheless I made another test with Orbx PNW and TrackIR.I set my FPS to unlimited and my frames were generally closer to 40 than 30.This was done with the recommended FSX settings as described by Orbx and they have most sliders all the way to the right.As I never use windowed mode, this test was done in Fullscreen (TripleHead2Go 3840x1024).

Word Not Allowed,I'm not quite sure I follow you, but nevertheless I made another test with Orbx PNW and TrackIR.I set my FPS to unlimited and my frames were generally closer to 40 than 30.This was done with the recommended FSX settings as described by Orbx and they have most sliders all the way to the right.As I never use windowed mode, this test was done in Fullscreen (TripleHead2Go 3840x1024).
If frames are going up to 40 with VSync enabled, then you have to check if VSync is really working in windowed mode! For example, fly and in external view look up or on the ground look down. Then FPS, if unlimited, should: limit to 60fps if vsync is working, or go over if vsync is not working. Only way to really check if VSync is working.Full screen is working and has no problems. If you don't use windowed, you will never see the problem with halved FPS.And btw, you wrote:I would like to add that "ForceWindowedVSync=1" works perfectly on my GTX280.Notice Windowed... this line ONLY applies in windowed mode. The other one is for full screen. In this case, this line doesn't impact ANYTHING on your system.

Word Not Allowed, just out of curiosity... why would you like the sim to run more than 30 FPS even with vsync on? 30 Frames per second means that 30 times, EACH SECOND, the sim will 'batch' objects, load textures and push vertex data to the frame buffer.. if you run 60 Frames per second, you'll DOUBLE all that. FSX is designed to run on a 'per frame' basis. You really run the sim whatever way you like, but.. its important to understand that concept. Otherwise you'll get irregular CPU loads, stutters and non consistenr framerates.

And btw, you wrote:I would like to add that "ForceWindowedVSync=1" works perfectly on my GTX280.Notice Windowed... this line ONLY applies in windowed mode. The other one is for full screen. In this case, this line doesn't impact ANYTHING on your system.
Word Not Allowed,Sorry, my bad. I had not even seen this thread also discussed ForceWindowedVSync=1 :( I only use ForceFullScreenVSync=1 ofcourse and get better results with TrackIR than before.

Word Not Allowed, just out of curiosity... why would you like the sim to run more than 30 FPS even with vsync on? 30 Frames per second means that 30 times, EACH SECOND, the sim will 'batch' objects, load textures and push vertex data to the frame buffer.. if you run 60 Frames per second, you'll DOUBLE all that. FSX is designed to run on a 'per frame' basis. You really run the sim whatever way you like, but.. its important to understand that concept. Otherwise you'll get irregular CPU loads, stutters and non consistenr framerates.
Yeah, I think I own an explanation on this one: I don't want to run 60 frames. But I also don't want to run the external limiter. The reason being the pain closing the CMD window each time. Even it bothers me it opens each time.Anyway, the reason is really that there is a known dip in frames when using internal limiter. For instance, a heavy test situation shows: 25fps with 30 limited, with 40 limited around 30-35, and with unlimited 50. So my wish is to reach around 30fps, which 40 allows.Now, the 30fps limit doesn't really bother me, but the possibility to achieve smooth 40fps in external view when flying high doesn't bother me... I hope you know what I mean!EDIT:Kick me and tell me I'm dreaming! Now suddenely it's working correctly! Both with FPS Limiter AND internal limiter, both when set to unlimited and anything else! I have NO idea what I changed that it's working now!!!!!EDIT2:Um, okay. I think I'm onto something. Something in the scenery is causing this. I'm at Flytampas adapted scenery for FSX, sitting on the runway, without the line in the fsx.cfg, watching towards scenery, I get clearly 55fps, but when I activate the line for windowed vsync, I got no more no less than 30fps! If I turn away from the scenery, 60. Look back at it again, 30. No mistake.

EDIT2:Um, okay. I think I'm onto something. Something in the scenery is causing this. I'm at Flytampas adapted scenery for FSX, sitting on the runway, without the line in the fsx.cfg, watching towards scenery, I get clearly 55fps, but when I activate the line for windowed vsync, I got no more no less than 30fps! If I turn away from the scenery, 60. Look back at it again, 30. No mistake.
That's right...exactly what it should be doing. When your CPU gets loaded up enough to drop the framerate below 60, then vSync (in windowed mode) snaps the frame rate to the next step down, which is 30 fps. When you look away from the complex scenery, the CPU again pushes > 60 fps, and vSync constrains the frame rate to 60.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

This is all true with Squawkbox 3, but SB4 doesn't use FSUIPC and I don't think therefore those offsets are of any use. Unless, that is, there's a later version of SB4 which has this interface built-in.I've been wanting to try flying on-line with SB4 for several years, and wrote to the SB authors regularly for a while asking for some transponder facility to use in a cockpit, and I got a couple of rpelies long ago saying they'd "discuss it". But to my knowledge nothing ever happened. so I gave up. :-(RegardsPete
Hi Pete; What had me fooled was the fact that the PMDG FSX gauges do, in fact, still write the Squawkbox-specific FSUIPC offset data for transponder mode/ident...did not realize SB4 was no longer using those settings. All my online flying is still done in FS9 with SB3. That said, SB4 is reading the radio freqs and squawk codes via SimConnect, so other than having to use the SB4 menu to turn on the mode C, the rest seems to work OK in any airplane that sets the standard FSX variables. I use SB on a separate networked PC, so I don't have the problem of having to get out of full screen mode in the sim to access the SB menu.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hello Guys,First thanks to ******* for this FIX that works nice on Window mode (Nvidia 285GTX) , but I am a little bit confused , My FPS setting is

Hello Guys,First thanks to ******* for this FIX that works nice on Window mode (Nvidia 285GTX) , but I am a little bit confused , My FPS setting is