Sign in to follow this  
bojote

FSX vSync FIX

Not if I understand it correctly. It means that there is 1 I/O operation waiting while the last one is being executed (engine requesting a file on the disk). If there is 10, means 10 ops are waiting. So you get stuttering, because data can't be loaded quickly enough.
it's called the 'work' queue. CPU's serialize operations, they don't do it 'at once' yet, they do it so fast it seems everything runs in parallel. When the 'work' queue is over '1' means the CPU (or whatever device has the work queue over 1) is not able to process all the requests the moment they were received, so there is some lost 'cycles' and 'I/O' wait going on.. this is, inneficient, and the above counters allow you to determine 'who' is the slow device responsible for this 'wait'.Any complex system, no matter how fast it is, will be always limited by the SLOWEST device on that system.So, the number '1' refers, in the case to 'spindles' or 'cores' if you have a multithreaded application running 3 cores and the work queue is '3' you are fine..if you have a RAID array with 3 disks and the work queue is '3' you are fineThe number refers to 'work units' and the 'threads' and/or devices resposnible for proccesing them. that why 'usage' monitors: are USELESS.. they tell you how 'hard' the GPU/CPU is working, not how many 'requests' are pending :)

I just can't get this thing to work in full screen or windowed mode with my GTX 285 and driver 195.62. I set the nHancer VSync setting to Application and also added the tweak as follows:[GRAPHICS]ForceFullScreenVSync=1HIGHMEMFIX=1With frame rate set to unlimited, I'm still getting very high fps (100+) instead of being stopped at 60

I just can't get this thing to work in full screen or windowed mode with my GTX 285 and driver 195.62. I set the nHancer VSync setting to Application and also added the tweak as follows:[GRAPHICS]ForceFullScreenVSync=1HIGHMEMFIX=1With frame rate set to unlimited, I'm still getting very high fps (100+) instead of being stopped at 60
That is exactly how it works here. Recently I had a problem with a driver, nHancer didn't want to accept the driver, or change wasn't happening. I recommend: uninstall driver + nhancer + everything along with nvidia, reboot, run driver sweeper, clean, reboot, run sweeper again, if nothing found, reinstall newest driver + nhancer, and repeat all settings. DO NOT use nvidia control panel.Should work like that.

Guest Av8ist

So what tweaks should I use for my setup?? I'm understanding that I shouldn't be using BP=0??I have Asus P5Q-E & Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz non OC 8GB of DDR2 and ATI 4850 512MB Win 7 x64Got my eyes on an i7 setup in the near futre...but till thenI can run with most sliders to the right or close to the right but big cities and detailed airports will bring me into the 5-7fps range which amazingly is still flyableThanks in advance :)

Try forcing VSync in nVidia Control Panel along with Triple Buffer and set the frame rate to 20 in FSX.Try the 197.45 driver release.

So what tweaks should I use for my setup?? I'm understanding that I shouldn't be using BP=0??I have Asus P5Q-E & Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz non OC 8GB of DDR2 and ATI 4850 512MB Win 7 x64Got my eyes on an i7 setup in the near futre...but till thenI can run with most sliders to the right or close to the right but big cities and detailed airports will bring me into the 5-7fps range which amazingly is still flyableThanks in advance :)
Since you are very new, I'll go easy on you :( This thread is about VSync, has nothing to do with BP=0 tweak. VSync should always be applied.This thread http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=281538 is gonna tell you everything you ever wanted to know about this tweak, and much more. I suggest you read it, and when you are at the end, read it again.There are tweaks that are good for you, and then some that are bad. On your setup having all sliders right is a clear overkill. You CAN'T run that with your machine.But hey, if you find 5-7fps flyable, by all means, go ahead.

Guest Av8ist
Since you are very new, I'll go easy on you :( This thread is about VSync, has nothing to do with BP=0 tweak. VSync should always be applied.This thread http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=281538 is gonna tell you everything you ever wanted to know about this tweak, and much more. I suggest you read it, and when you are at the end, read it again.There are tweaks that are good for you, and then some that are bad. On your setup having all sliders right is a clear overkill. You CAN'T run that with your machine.But hey, if you find 5-7fps flyable, by all means, go ahead.
I asked what I did because the thread has been all over the place talking about more than just VSYNC...And I'm going to try out the VSYNC as well. I guess I should have clarified my question better, I was meaning in reference to the different items being discussed in this thread BP=0, VSYNC, TBM etc etc I just saw lots of numbers and terms thrown around, and it seems the majority have higher end vid cards than I do, so I was looking for tips that would be more in line with my rig.I just recently did a reinstall of FSX since I bought a new larger capacity hard drive, and couldn't remember all the lil tweaks and such that I was running with before. So in my quest to get things back to where they were, I stumbled across this thread and a few others...And yes I know I can't run all sliders right, but most are in that direction...trust me, I'm not as new as you think I am :)

I asked what I did because the thread has been all over the place talking about more than just VSYNC...And I'm going to try out the VSYNC as well. I guess I should have clarified my question better, I was meaning in reference to the different items being discussed in this thread BP=0, VSYNC, TBM etc etc I just saw lots of numbers and terms thrown around, and it seems the majority have higher end vid cards than I do, so I was looking for tips that would be more in line with my rig.I just recently did a reinstall of FSX since I bought a new larger capacity hard drive, and couldn't remember all the lil tweaks and such that I was running with before. So in my quest to get things back to where they were, I stumbled across this thread and a few others...And yes I know I can't run all sliders right, but most are in that direction...trust me, I'm not as new as you think I am :)
We try to keep it on-topic ;-) But really, VSync has nothing to do with all other settings. It has its own set of rules and it works out of the box if you set it up right. As said, mostly for ATI users, and for Nvidia only windowed mode.

It's pretty easy to check what's happening while your FSX is running. Trust me, you WILL be surpised when you see what FSX is reading and your LED isn't even bothering to show...Two things: download Process Monitor and see what's being loaded while you are flying. In W7, under Computer Management, open Performance, and add Logical Disk (FSX paritition), and configure it as Avg. Disk Queue Length. For the 2nd, credit goes to bojote, and I also figured, which makes sense, that higher the Queue Length, more stuttering you will have. I have to keep below 5 to have any kind of smooth flight. If it goes over 10, heavy stuttering.Even on my VRap, I have heavy duty scenery reading, and while it's way better and faster than ordinary disks (I have tested on latest Seagate, 7200, 500GB one platter), it still stutters, and I'm sure it's due to HDD reading. SSD would help. I don't have 400

FSX Computer: I7-980X @4GHZ - Kingston DDR3 1066MHZ (7-7-7-20) - Gainwaird GTX285 1GB - 2x Raptor 150GB (1. Generation)

[quote]GRAPHICS] (not DISPLAY) add this:ForceFullScreenVSync=1And yes, its 1, not 'True'and set your driver to let the application manage vsync. just tested now with my nVidia card, and I can confirm it works. Can an ATI user test? I tested also in my laptop which uses a crappy intel card and it also worked... so either I'm completely dilusional or this is one of those 'miracle tweaks' (for ATI users) test and report. Please I know this is going to sound a bit stupid but where do I find the file to adjust the ForceFullScreenVSync.Is this in the main FSX file somewhere. If it is I cannot find it

Please I know this is going to sound a bit stupid but where do I find the file to adjust the ForceFullScreenVSync.Is this in the main FSX file somewhere. If it is I cannot find it
If you have Win7, run the following command in the 'run' window (where you search for programs and commands):notepad %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfgthen press ENTER and you'll see the file there in your notepad.

nVidia user here, and I am happy to report that this allowed me to retain VSync in full screen mode while on VATSIM w/FSInn 1.3. Now if I can figure out how to retain my antialiasing in full screen (AA remains when in windowed mode) while on VATSIM, I will be set.
Sorry if this question has been answered already...Many add-ons for FSX may cause anti-aliasing to stop functioning when there GUI overlay appears over the FSX application. To solve this you have to set Anti-Aliasing outside of FSX, either in nHancer, Forceware, Catalyst Control Center, ATi Tray Tools, etc. Using in-game FSX AA with FSX applications that use this sort of screen overlay "hack" will cause this.... and a big thank you to bojote! FSX just keeps getting better and better. I can't wait until summer now when I'll get lots of time to fly (hopefully including the RW too!).

Dear all, Dear *******,I have some questions about the VSync-Fix which works fantastic on my ATI HD 5870 Vapor-X also. When I enter the fix in my fsx.cfg it works. I run Fraps to check my frames, so I loaded an area/airport with no details, just autogen, the airtrike aircraft, so my machine can calculate with lots of power and go over my 60 frames which my monitors work on. So I really can check if this VSync-tweak works, and it DOES :) thanks again to you for this. But I don't understand WHY someone would use this tweak. The only two reasons for using VSync (including me) is either to enable it, so the graphic card doesn't power too much if not needed (frames over 60fps) and therefore consumes more power and temperature raises, or to prevent the tearing effect in 3D applications like games. So, please correct me, but: I think tearing (I have red that lots of users have tearing problems in FSX) can only occure, when the output frames of the graphic card are more than the refresht rate of the monitor. In most cases that mean more than 60 frames per second. Who the hell is running FSX with addons and high quality over 60 FPS ? :) However, I have tried some tests and my conclusion is following:test scenario was always the same, low airport details, scenery details maxed out (all slider full right, except water = mid 2.x) and airtrike aircraft1.) clean/virgin FSX.CFG, with Unlimited frames in FSX. Fraps shows about 80 FPS. Just for this example, it wasn't exact 80 but much higher than 60FPS. My aircraft is in halt position, around my aircraft are lots of autogen (buildings and lots of trees). Now I constantly pan around my aircraft (external view) and I notice small stutters and flashing of the autogen objects. That's really annoying!2.) clean/virgin FSX.CFG with Unlimited frames in FSX + Bojote's VSync-tweak as discussed on this thread = Fraps shows 60FPS, that means the tweak works pretty fine, I never get more than 60 FPS displayed on my display. So far so good, but: when panning around my aircraft as described above the stutter and flashin autogen objects (it's milliseconds I think, but enough to notice them) still are there. So, it's not satisfying for me.3.) clean/virgin FSX.CFG with setting up 58 FRAMES in the FSX internal frame limiter. Why I choose 58 and not 60? I tell you soon. The result is: I never get over 60 frames, and I have a solid fluiding pan around my aircraft without the above mentioned stutters and problems.

Dear all, Dear *******,I have some questions about the VSync-Fix which works fantastic on my ATI HD 5870 Vapor-X also. When I enter the fix in my fsx.cfg it works. I run Fraps to check my frames, so I loaded an area/airport with no details, just autogen, the airtrike aircraft, so my machine can calculate with lots of power and go over my 60 frames which my monitors work on. So I really can check if this VSync-tweak works, and it DOES :) thanks again to you for this. But I don't understand WHY someone would use this tweak. The only two reasons for using VSync (including me) is either to enable it, so the graphic card doesn't power too much if not needed (frames over 60fps) and therefore consumes more power and temperature raises, or to prevent the tearing effect in 3D applications like games. So, please correct me, but: I think tearing (I have red that lots of users have tearing problems in FSX) can only occure, when the output frames of the graphic card are more than the refresht rate of the monitor. In most cases that mean more than 60 frames per second. Who the hell is running FSX with addons and high quality over 60 FPS ? :) ...Pegasus.
Tearing will occur quite nicely at any frame rate (even 10fps or less) when vsync is not enabled. Tearing has little to do with frame rate and it is caused when the graphics system updates the display buffer during a monitor screen refresh. What vsync does is to control when the graphics system can update the display buffer. When enabled, the graphics system can only update the display buffer if it is not being used to refresh the monitor screen, thus preventing the tearing effect. I run at 35 fps internally limited and it'll always tear like crazy unless vsync is enabled; if you're a TrackIR user tearing is most annoying.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)