Sign in to follow this  
Guest Philip Olson

How is the PMDG 737?

I installed FS2004 and I really like it. It's the first time I am willing to switch to the new FS version so quickly.I'm thinking of buying one airplane/panel package for FS2004. Rigt now the only options I see are the PMDG 737 or wait for the PSS A330/340. I know they fly different types of "legs".PSS 767 made me switch to FS2000, the PIC767 2k2patchmade me switch to FS2k2 but know I think I'll need a replacement.So if there are PMDG 737 users out there please let me know what you think of the product, should I wait for it to "grow" or wait to compare with PSS A330/340?I just want a costumer's opinion, I don't want to start a nasty fight between those for and those against... please!Thanks for the feed back!Danny

It depends on your tolerance for "evolving" software packages and the horsepower on your system.I believe the 737NG is going to be the new "classic".. it has amazing cockpit function and it handles very well (!) a true pleasure to fly by hand, as well via autopilot. The FMC is well integrated and the overall documentation is very professional.Having said that, we've had the first Service Release and there are likely more to follow. If you like that sort of thing, buy now..The 2d cockpit takes something out of your system, fps wise, so you better have a 2+ Gig processor. Mind you, the Airbus may be worse..I personally love the airplane and plan to stick with its evolution.If you do not enjoy patching software packages and spend time on support forums.. wait a while.. I'm confident this will be one of the benchmark FS add-ons!

Bert

Guest Philip Olson

Hey Danny, I agree with Bert, this is a great plane and it should evolve into one of the industry leaders. The folks at PMDG are a class act, they work very hard to make the best product possible and support their work. Yes there were a few issues but to me that is almost expected, especially with something as complicated as this but I think that they work harder than most to make things right. I am thrilled with most everything on this plane, yes you need some horse power to run it, I am currently running it on my AMD XP 2100 machine over clocked to 1.83 Ghz and it takes it's toll but is still very flyable at around 18-20 FPS. Currently I have most of the FS9 sliders pegged to the right but I have not tried to fly this plane in any heavy weather or clouds yet so I can not say how it will perform in that situation. I say get it, you will be happy that you did.Philip Olson