Sign in to follow this  
PingPong

GTX 480 + Matrox Triplehead 2 go = No Go

Hey GuysI am posting some disappointing news, I am running a triple head 2 go on 3 22" displays and plugged in my spanking new Zotac GTX 480 and it's just crash after crash. For a few seconds I am in flight sim nirvana with high frame rates and all sliders right. Like 60 fps over the default Friday Harbour flight, and then the crash and blue screen.I tried to be scientific about localizing the problem, I started with a clean confing(x/c widescreen = true), then took out nhancer leaving everything application controlled, then took out the framerate limiter and enb bloom, but there's no relief. I am on WinXP 64, and can't see a way to make this setup work.I snuck in an order to NewEgg for a second GTX 480 today, to get their surround vision, but that will require a jump forwards to Win 7(meh), and a whole reinstall.If anyone can think of any possible relief before I do the overhaul it would be much appreciated.

If anyone can think of any possible relief before I do the overhaul it would be much appreciated.
Can you try replacing your entire BufferPools section with this:[bufferPools]RejectThreshold=98304 // Vertex data at or over 96KB does not get pooled and bypasses the bufferpoolIt's a 'combined' approach, 50% goes to dynamic buffer, the other 50% goes to the command buffer. try it to see if there isany difference.

No joy I am afraidI didn't actually have a bufferpool setting in at all, this was a completely virgin config x/c the widescreen=truemaybe it's displaying at 57-59 hz or something else, who knows. I suspect it's either a hardware incompatibility or that the drivers haven't been prepared for a triplehead 2 go.What kills me is that I had perfectly acceptable performance with a 2gb GTX 285...30fps with high settings x/c in heavy weather. But I guess we will see after the second card comes and I move up to Win 7.Thanks for trying.

PingPong,It may not be your Matrox at all. Possibly the OS/Drivers. I just received my EVGA GTX 480 SC and it does nothing but crash in FSX for me as well. I do notice that we are both using XP x64. This sucks............. Are you blue screening and getting Stop 0x0000003B nv4_disp.dll by any chance?

PingPong,It may not be your Matrox at all. Possibly the OS/Drivers. I just received my EVGA GTX 480 SC and it does nothing but crash in FSX for me as well. I do notice that we are both using XP x64. This sucks............. Are you blue screening and getting Stop 0x0000003B nv4_disp.dll by any chance?
I couldn't tell you the stop code, but it's definitely "nv4_disp.dll" You know XP has been the best os for FSX for me, making all the tweaks work seamlessly, I am so disappointed that we have to leave it. I am going to do a ground up install with Win 7 on my triplehead rig tonight and see how it goes. And yes, this sucks....

I couldn't tell you the stop code, but it's definitely "nv4_disp.dll" You know XP has been the best os for FSX for me, making all the tweaks work seamlessly, I am so disappointed that we have to leave it. I am going to do a ground up install with Win 7 on my triplehead rig tonight and see how it goes. And yes, this sucks....
I can't even begin to say how disappointed I am at the moment. Make sure and let me know how it goes. I'm gonna have to revert back to my GTX 280 for awhile I believe.

Hey PingPong,Just wanted to let you know. All works well under Windows 7 x64........go figure.

Hey PingPong,Just wanted to let you know. All works well under Windows 7 x64........go figure.
I went up to Win 7 64 last night, my second gtx 480 is being delivered today, so we'll see if I can get SLI 3d vision going at 5040 x 1050.Then maybe I can do some flying...maybe

Posted this question in another thread as well - can you run 3 monitors directly off the card?

Posted this question in another thread as well - can you run 3 monitors directly off the card?
No you cannot.

I was able to get it running under Windows 7 but only after hacking the NVidia drivers to force the screen resolution. Just posted the details here. Hope this is helpful.Alan

I was able to get it running under Windows 7 but only after hacking the NVidia drivers to force the screen resolution. Just posted the details here. Hope this is helpful.Alan
Hi AlanI actually used this solution to get everything working in Win Vista 64, with the same issue with the preview image...also it was a little crashyThen I learned that trip-head works flawlessly in Win XP, and got that running great, then upgraded to the GTX 480 which doesn't work with FSX in WinXPThen moved back to Win 7 and got a second GTX 480 so I could use triple widescreen which is not even out yet... so I will try this again, thanks.This hobby is ridiculous LOL

This hobby is ridiculous LOL
Ridiculous doesn't begin to express it.Strangely, I had no trouble running the Triplehead under Vista 64. It gave me 3 x 1440 x 900 with no problems. That was with the GTX 280 and the 182.5 drivers. But since those won't run the 480, I guess I'm stuck where I am. Not looking forward to crashes - haven't had any yet but I haven't been running it very long, but we'll see.I'll be interested to hear how you do with the dual-480 solution once the software comes through.Didn't all this activity once have something to do with flying airplanes? I remember it, but dimly... dimly...Alan

why are you guys wasting all this time and money on the gtx 480 and TH2GO whereas 1 5870 for eyefinity 6 will do just fine? I find it quite weird really, now that the vsync problem is solved for ATI, if your goal is multi screen, you shouldn't even be thinking about what to use.2 x GTX480 = $1,200 (with tax and shipping) + TH2GO = $1,5005870 (the new eyefinity 6 with DPs) = $499.From what I'm reading, it beats the heck out of TH2GO, that solution is way out dated and old. I may understand it if you bought it 2-3 years back and want to stick with it, but I'd cut my losses and not waste money on a 480, not the mention 2 of them.You shouldn't have to spend that much money just to use 3 monitors. In addition, I heard multi GPUs were no-no for FSX?

why are you guys wasting all this time and money on the gtx 480 and TH2GO whereas 1 5870 for eyefinity 6 will do just fine? I find it quite weird really, now that the vsync problem is solved for ATI, if your goal is multi screen, you shouldn't even be thinking about what to use.
Well, myatan, it could be that we're not very bright people. :( Or it could be - like you say - that I already own a TH2GO, and had only to add a single GTX 480 ($570 including shipping).The ATI Eyefinity solution sounds more elegant. But in addition to the card, wouldn't I need to add three DP/DVI adapters at about $100 each? That'd get me to $700 right there.As to six monitors... well, that sounds like fun, but I've got a space budget in addition to a financial one. So I'm maxxed out at three.If you go with the 5870 and six montiors, or if you already have, let us know how you do/have been doing with it.Happy flying!Best,Alan