Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

Carenado Repainting Tutorial

Don't mean to be a grave digger, but I'm having trouble repainting the Malibu... all the textures I repainted come out black on the actual model. What could I be doing wrong?

Don't mean to be a grave digger, but I'm having trouble repainting the Malibu... all the textures I repainted come out black on the actual model. What could I be doing wrong?
Sounds like there's some sort of problem with the texture conversion. How are you turning your textures back into DDS files once you're done painting?

Sounds like there's some sort of problem with the texture conversion. How are you turning your textures back into DDS files once you're done painting?
Well, then I guess that's it! I was just saving them as .BMP and replacing the white ones. I was wondering why the other textures didn't show up on PS... Is that something that can be done with photoshop?

Okay, I'm new in this repainting business, and I did some research... I managed to export to .DDS using the nvidia plugin for photoshop and converting the .DDS back into .BMP using DXTBmp -- I think I'm finally getting the hang of this!My only issue is, what settings should I use when I save it as .DDS in order to get the HD quality? And once again, what settings should I use in DXTBmp when converting to .BMP in order for it to not lose any quality? My texture files were obscenely high (25mb each) but the quality was nowhere as good as Carenado's default HD textures, and they're only 4mbs!Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Hi Bill, I know my way around PSP and I still learned a great deal from your video - Thanks !!! I've got a bunch of new stuff to try... :)Regards,Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

My only issue is, what settings should I use when I save it as .DDS in order to get the HD quality? And once again, what settings should I use in DXTBmp when converting to .BMP in order for it to not lose any quality? My texture files were obscenely high (25mb each) but the quality was nowhere as good as Carenado's default HD textures, and they're only 4mbs!
HI Yitzhak, did you figure out how to keep the quality when converting your files ? I'm having the same issue and would also like some help !!Thanks.

Thats because thier files contain less 'surface area' more detail level within that smaller area... thus hd, but small files (you can have hd with 1024 x 1024, but the problem with older carenado aircraft, is most of the aircraft is on one sheet.. hence needing huge ones) (Like my 182rg base retexturing project in 4096 ><)Setting I use is DDS, dtx5 format... seems to work for me, maintaining the quality, is not just about pumping up the rest, you need to ENABLE higher resolutions in the fsx.cfg before the work you do will show blum.gif or it will just squish it back to 1024.

I've been painting awhile. But this gave me a new perspective on how I repaint. Going to put this to good use. Thank you for the great video.

Kevin

I just bough my first Carenado aircraft recently, and I wanted to repaint it. When I applied the paint to the aircraft it showed up as the whole paint being black. I tried exporting as .DDS and then exporting as .BMP through DXTBmp, but that didn't work. I am sorry for bringing up such an old post, but I really need help on this one!

I have recently gotten back into making my own repaints. I have a lot more photoshop experience than I used to, so my repaints are turning out very nicely. The only problem I'm running into now is issues with mirrored numbers on one site of the aircraft. For authenticity I've been scaling my N numbers to reflect designs I'm basing my repaints off of. The problem is existing mirror paint textures are too small to fit my N number design. Does anybody know how I can manually go in and remap or adjust texture dimensions and coordinates for placement on the model? Maybe using another texture plate entirely?

Great video Bill a bit abbreviated but did learn a few tricks, be nice if it was covering how you are lining up your graphics panel to panel.

Rich Sennett

Hi. Very nice tutorial. But where can I find the white Texture for Alabeo C177? Thank you

White textures are in your aircraft folder where you installed C177 - there is one repaint thats all white save a copy of that folder containing all of the white files to paint with

Rich Sennett

Thanks for your awnser.

I found the Folder with the white textures in it, but the problem is, that there are only the "texture.cfg", a thumbnail and two DSS files and I dont know how I can edit this files. Or is there something wrong?

The folder containing the white texture files (dds files) should be labelled just "texture". Make a copy of that folder, rename it texture.XXXX. Open the dds files with Photoshop or Gimp and paint away. You'll probably have to flip the files vertically to paint them so don't forget to flip them back before you save your paint.

Todd