Sign in to follow this  
themose

Motherboard, Memory and CPU combo advice

Hi Guys,It's exciting times with regards to FSX with some cracking new add-ons coming out such as Aerosoft's Airbus and PMDG's 737NGX.So looking at my current setup below in my sig, you can see its time for me to join the I7 bandwagon to enjoy these at nice smooth frame rates.I'm basically after some recommendations for the Motherboard, CPU + cooling and memory combination & have a budget of around

If you go with an 1366/X58 chipset, you will be looking at triple channel memory, and you will want to have 6GB or more, but 6GB is enough. As far as I understand, the 1366/X58 boards memory is installed in multiples of 3 (3GB, 6GB, 9GB, 12GB). The best OS for FSX is Windows 7 64 bit, so if you go with 6GB of memory, that will allow FSX to utilize a full 4GB, and you will still have 2GB available for the OS and other programs.My suggestion for best price/performance:Cooler Master HAF series case (I have the 922, got it for $90)ASUS/GIGABYTE/EVGA 1366/X58 moboCore i7 930 O/C to 4.0-4.2GHz ($199 at Micro Center if you are near one)Thermalright Venemous X CPU cooler or similar and a good cooling fan3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz memorynVidia GTX 285/ATI 5870/nVidia GTX 480 (the GTX 285 is plenty, but the GTX 480 will allow higher image quality settings, especially with the BP=0 tweak)Corsair/OCZ/PC Power and Cooling 650 watt or better PSU2 hard drives, 1 for OS/1 for FSX (WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm/Velociraptor 10,000 rpm are nice, if you can afford SSD, they are nice)Windows 7 64 bit