Sign in to follow this  

The Carmine Email Spam

I see he do nothing wrong,made effort to advertise good site.you people silly,act like babys.Need to grow up.

If he just wanted to advertise a good site in a well mannered way he would have only needed to send us a news item. He's probably would have gotten a lot more positive response after his news was posted on the flightsim sites front pages.What he did WAS wrong. In many countries it is even an offence now to send unsolicited email. If you would have seen all the messages of angry and/or concerned AVSIM readers as a result of his actions, you would perhaps understand our take on such matters.It has nothing to do with growing up.... I think we are way ahead of you in that department, Sir. It has to do woth rules and good manners. We have both.________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Hirati, I'm not sure you got that right, who is acting like a baby ????I have visited the web site and they talk about open/free speech, well, don't we have the same rights here, or is only "Carmine" allowed such a luxury ??Also, I have children, and I have "Net Nanny" on this computer, so I wonder why I can NO LONGER log onto Carmines new web site :-))CheersIan (Thatch)

Sadly yes. It's 3 PM. 30 and counting for today, and that's just one account.

Any way to make sure that function is not accessed using a script? I can't think of any, but if possible it would at least ensure that a spammer needs a lot of time to do a massmailing using the system :-)good job, keep up the vigil!

>I see he do nothing wrongmade effort to advertise good site.you people silly,act like babys. Need to grow up.

I returned the email he sent me by way of his email address used for soliciting donations.I did not use reply as it was a garbage in email address. I sent a nice rant to his address here.advertising@fsfactory.comThis way you will at least know he read the thing. You should also ask him to remove you from his email list, and notify his isp.here is the info if you would like to call him and express your feelings.I first did a internic who is which listed this:Domain Name: FSFACTORY.COM Registrar: DOTSTER, INC. Whois Server: whois.dotster.com Referral URL: http://www.dotster.com/help/whois Name Server: NS.HOSTINGCREATIONS.COM Name Server: NS2.HOSTINGCREATIONS.COM Updated Date: 07-jun-2002So then I went to the dotster whois and came up with all this juicy info:Registrant: Carmine D Box 2323 Cape Coral, FL 33914 US Registrar: Dotster (http://www.dotster.com)Domain Name: FSFACTORY.COM Created on: 01-NOV-01 Expires on: 01-NOV-02 Last Updated on: 01-NOV-01 Administrative Contact: D, Carmine webmaster@fsfactory.com Box 2323 Cape Coral, FL 33914 US941 555-1212 Technical Contact: D, Carmine webmaster@fsfactory.com Box 2323 Cape Coral, FL 33914 US 941 555-1212 Domain servers in listed order: NS.HOSTINGCREATIONS.COM NS2.HOSTINGCREATIONS.COM Register a domain name at www.dotster.comHmmm, maybe I'll call him, but alas, I cannot as he used a bogus number in his registration at dotster. For those outside the USA, 555-1212 is a phone number used for information, or directory assistance.It appears he is using hostingcreations.com as his domain server, so maybe a complaint over there as well.dedicated@supporthc.comThanks Avsim, for banning this abuser. Job well done.Regards,Joe.Oshkosh Pictures From 2001 (Part 1) 78 Pics in Frames with 1mb in ThumbnailsHigh speed connection Recommended:http://home.attbi.com/~flypics1/FrameSet.htm.Oshkosh Pictures From 2001 (Part 2) 106 Pics in Frames with 1.5mb in ThumbnailsHigh speed connection recommended:http://home.attbi.com/~flypics2/FrameSet.htm.Picture Gallery of My Flight in a 1945 SNJ-6 on June 1st, 2002Joliet, Illinoishttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/FrameSet.htm.http://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest Lenny Zaman

ahh we are soo spoilt here at avsim, we even have our bodygaurds making sure nothing's gonna happen... that suweet feeling... i had the mail , and when i got it i read it, and the moment i read 'got you email from avsim.com.... "my" new site' i thought... hmmm delete.... loli don't like spams ;-)good intervention here tom ,reaaly appreciated. :) though i never doubted you werent involved here :-)

I have nothing but respect for Tom, the forum administrators and most of the posters who tap into the avsim forum. With that said, I do not know Carmine, and like the rest of you, I too received his email. Tehcnically, it may be spam, but let's look at this in another possible way. Perhaps Carmine was only being overly enthusastic about trying to begin a new web site to benefit all of us who love our hobby. His mistake was in the eyes of many, that he "spammed" avsim users to let us all know. I think we should cut the guy a little slack and wish him luck. This seems to me more a case of naivete rather than a deliberate effort to be duplicitous. If it is a good site, it will thrive...if not, it will wither away.Sherman KaplanHighland Park IL

I kinda thought about it the same as you do. Leave Carmine alone, lets bag on Ferdy! Yeah!!

Sherm, with all due respect, were that to have been Carmine's only sin, I could have easily forgiven him. However, it was the use of AVSIM's forum system for bulk mailing, and the invocation of our name in that mailing that put the nail in the coffin, so to speak. I might have even forgiven him that, but when we received the number of email that we did, and worked HOURS to straighten out the mess that he caused, well, you get my drift. It was an unforgivable breach of our policies and as far as I can tell, he still thinks he did no wrong.

I understand your position completely. I only wonder if Carmine simply was not aware that what he was doing was out of line. As you or someone else pointed out, he did not hack into your system, but merely used email addresses that are readily available. And, in his naivete, he actually pointed out that he got the information from avsim. that sounds like someone who was more ingnorant of protocol than one who is malicious. But, you were the one who was harmed more than me, or perhaps anyone else on the forum. So, I understand your pique.Sherm

Sherm-Your last two posts sum up exactly the way I feel on the situation. I did not receive an email from Carmine though. Instead, I caught a post in the Screen Shot Forum inviting people to come visit his site. The post was quickly removed for lacking a screen shot. That in itself seems to indicate a bit of ignorance, because it's a given that your post will get yanked if you don't have a screen shot in the screen shot forum! I also emailed Tom privately, who seems to agree it was part ignorance and a simple mistake as well. However, I agree with Tom's decision. Rules are rules, and although Carmine seems to be a super guy from my visitation to his site and forum, he will not be able to visit the Avsim forums anymore.Regards,http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...de36834bc55.jpg

Sherman, it may be true it was born out of being naive more than anything. But like Tom has already said, not once has he admitted he was wrong. He continues to think he did nothing wrong. After all the trouble we went through and the amount of work I'll have to do to convince people that their personal info is safe on our site, it was just something too hard to swallow.With that said, everyone has had their chance to give their two cents and we have repeated our position on it. I feel it is now time to put a close to this subject.