Sign in to follow this  
Guest twsimfan

Older MS planes in FS04?

Guest twsimfan

First I brought in the C183RG & the Camel. The Camel was the first FS plane going back to FS1... it has to be included... and the RG goes back to FS2... you don't just cast off that kind of history. :-eekThe RG works great... better than it ever has before. I suspect the reason it is better is that FS04 seems to load bitmaps and other images much faster than FS02 did. But it be very nice... no 3D cockpit but great anyway.The Camel gives me a compatibility error upon loading. It seems to work fine but will not display the top image... which is strange since that works on the RG. I want to be able to look up through that hole in the top wing. ;-) OK... I know the Jenny is a really outstanding aircraft... my favorite in FS04 for that matter... but I'm greedy... I want 'em both. :-shyI knew the Concorde would be a risky one since it dates back to FS2K... but I figure that a sim with the subtitle "Century of Flight" should have it back into the lineup... especially since it is being decommisioned... should be there! :-rollI put in the folder but not Concorde.gau... I was going to but found it to already be there straight out of the box... or can as the case may be. :) So I figured MS was making an effort to be compatible with it. Apparently not. I get the same compatibility error as with the Camel... also no top view. It does seem to be work... but not properly. It is way underpowered... taking off from LAX West bound I couldn't keep it out of the Pacific Ocean. :-eekI brought in all of the "flyables" from CFS2 with no problems... work really well they do! I have also brought in about half of the CFS2 "non-flyables" with modified air files of course. They all work great except for the B-24. I get no error when loading it but it is also serverly underpowered... I didn't get wet but it was shaking a lot as I made a hasty return to LAX... I think I just barely made it. A great bit of realism there... the shaking I mean... but one I'd not like to experience very often. :)I have a hunch that much of this might be caused by the aircraft config files... but I'm not knowledgable enough to know that for sure. Also do we have an aircraft editor in FS04? If so I haven't been able to find it.All my complaining aside I'm finding this the be the most enjoyable version since about 5.1... definately the best version of FS yet! :)One last question: Are the CFS3 planes compatable with FS04? I know they weren't with FS02. If not does anybody have a converter to make them so?Thanks much for any / all help! :-sun1

Guest Robert_S

Let me think about this... :-)[table][tr][td valign=top]http://www.avsim.com/other/usaribbon.gif[/td][td valign=center]Bob "FlyBert" StilesAVSIM Moderator[/b][/td][/tr][/table]"Don't stall on me, I have to soar!"~Richard Harvey, 1/21/2003

Thanks for the post! I was going to try the CFS2 planes, but couldn't find mine. Now that I know they work, I will redouble my closet/boxes search.I am mixed on the Camel/Jenny issue. The Camel was never as well done as the JN-4. But, as you say, it is history to have it. So I fall in your camp, so... WE WANT A CAMEL, or we will whine real loud! *grin* (actually, I'd much, much, MUCH prefer a Pup to a Camel, especially in a non-combat flight sim.) (okay, a tripe from the same company wouldn't be bad either. *grin*)

Guest twsimfan

E,"I was going to try the CFS2 planes, but couldn't find mine. Now that I know they work, I will redouble my closet/boxes search."They work great... no mouse usable switches in the 3D cockpit of course... but they always did have nice 3D cockpits."I am mixed on the Camel/Jenny issue. The Camel was never as well done as the JN-4."True enough. I'm just a stickler for tradition I guess. ;-)Now if someone would please answer some of my question? (Pretty please with sugar and honey on it?)

Tom,If you have read my section of the AVSIM review of FS2004, many of your questions are answered there. MS has thought to include all of the gauges for the Concorde, F4U Corsair, and the Camel in the gauge folder for FS2004. There is now a conflict involving the display of the gauges for the Camel, but the Corsair works perfectly (and frankly, as I stated in the AVSIM review, I'm very surprised that the Corsair was dropped from FS2002).As for CFS2 aircraft, I'm a huge fan of these warbird types and so far everything I liked from CFS2/FS2002 (3rd party too) works great in FS2004.CFS3 aircraft are NOT compatable with either FS2002 or FS2004, as they now use a totally different development process, though there have been a couple of conversions from CFS3 over to FS2002/FS2004, but I'm unaware of what is required to do so.At the end of the AVSIM review of FS2004 Century of Flight, I've also included a short list of 21 different aircraft from the AVSIM library, that were originally intended for FS2002, that seem to work in FS2004 reasonably well.Bear!

Guest twsimfan

Bear,Looking at your review... keep in mind that so far I have just skimmed it... I can only take issue with one thing. When you listed the improvements you failed to mention the one thing that I consider the most important... the mesh... the vastly improved mesh frankly makes the rest of it come together... IMO!As to the strange looking water effects... apparently there is a problem with the textures with the presence of clouds. My understanding (I got this from JimmiG and don't fully understand it myself) is that once better textures are available the problem will go away. In the mean time there is a work around that is fairly pleasing to the eye. Set Terrain detail Land & water to max... all the way to the right. This will automatically set Water effects to none. You still have wave effects but no reflections... it is a acceptable shade of blue... what shade depends on the water depth. The best place to test it is Honolulu since the difference with depth is immediatly obvious. It beats the "dirty oil" look with the water effects turned on. I have the LA/SD Megascenery on order... I'm hoping that will provide some new water textures. If not somebody will come up with some. :)OK... back to the point. Is there an aircraft editor in FS04? If so where is it hiding? With it I could put some Jenny gauges into the Camel to resolve any conflicts there. Which still doesn't explain the error on the Concorde... not that I fly it much... I'm more into the singles & small twins... but I would like to have it in working condition if the urg should ever strike. ;-) I also want to figure out how to get the top view back on both the Camel & Concorde... especially the Camel.It would seem unlikely that MS would drop the editor after including it in the last 2 versions?Thanks for the reply! :)

Revisiting this subject... I've brought all the CFS2 acft over to FS9, (like you the B-24 just won't hack it... especially as AI). I've also scoured the web for additional CFS2 acft with mixed results. (I'm still in need of a Hurrican with either wheels that don't "warble" from a distance, or one with a prop. Also need a 109 with a pilot, and any Stuka and Bf110).Does/has anyone previously come up with config file lighting coordinates to add them to at least the CFS2 acft? (suddenly my FS9 won't reload acft unless I exit completely, so experimenting lights into proper position is very much like going to the dentist now *sigh*)

Guest Robert J

Could someone pse explaing the process of placing "older" planes into FS2004. I want to place the Realair c172 in FS2004.ThanksRobert J

Guest twsimfan

Robert,"Could someone pse explaing the process of placing "older" planes into FS2004. I want to place the Realair c172 in FS2004."If this is a purchased plane you should check with the author/publisher to see if it is compatable with FS04... they may have a patch to make it compatable if not.If it is freeware then copy the planes main folder from the the FS02 Aircraft folder to the FS04 Aircraft folder... also add any needed gauges (.gau files) from the distribution to the FS04 Gauges folder.If that isn't specific enough let me know and I will try to help.