Sign in to follow this  
Guest paddy84heavy

ANYONE HAVE SOME OPINIONS TO SHARE?

Guest paddy84heavy

I'm getting ants in my pants now, waiting for the NGX, and want to fly a jet airliner. I've been having a look a the CaptainSim series and was wandering if anyone here has used them. I know they'll have to go a very long way to beat PMDG standards but are they even close?All views very welcome and appreciated.Thanks.Matt

Guest paddy84heavy
This belongs in the general FSX forum I think - CS is a competing product.
Sorry, i've got the PMDG forum saved as a favourite. The other forums nevver entered my mind

In my opinion, they're a completely different beast than, say, PMDG. I own most of their releases, and I've got mixed opinions. Their strongest point is the very high fidelity of modeling and their gorgeous textures. They're 3D artists of the first order, without a doubt. In fact, I'd go so far as to say there's no one better at creating the visuals. They do model systems fairly thoroughly, though it depends on which specific aircraft. On that count, I'd give 'em maybe a solid 7.5 out of 10. My biggest complaint about them is the way they handle documentation. For instance, the 757: the manual is voluminous, but it's just straight-ahead technical data; there's no attempt to tutorialize for those of us who don't have real-world ATPs. They don't have the nifty training features of, say, the CoolSky MD-80, and they don't have the panel performance tuning and saved panel states of PMDG. Those aren't deal-killers for me, but they sure would be nice to have.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

In my opinion, they're a completely different beast than, say, PMDG. I own most of their releases, and I've got mixed opinions. Their strongest point is the very high fidelity of modeling and their gorgeous textures. They're 3D artists of the first order, without a doubt. In fact, I'd go so far as to say there's no one better at creating the visuals. They do model systems fairly thoroughly, though it depends on which specific aircraft. On that count, I'd give 'em maybe a solid 7.5 out of 10. My biggest complaint about them is the way they handle documentation. For instance, the 757: the manual is voluminous, but it's just straight-ahead technical data; there's no attempt to tutorialize for those of us who don't have real-world ATPs. They don't have the nifty training features of, say, the CoolSky MD-80, and they don't have the panel performance tuning and saved panel states of PMDG. Those aren't deal-killers for me, but they sure would be nice to have.
Actually they do have saved panel states in the latest version of the 757, and 767. You can save your flight and when you reload it all gauges as well as the FMC are as they were at the point of the save.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I have their C130, 727-100 v2.4, 757-200/200F v4.4, and 767-300 v1.4.Here is my take:Great visualsDecent system simulationNo FO calloutsV speed bugs don't work in the VC of the 757/767Somewhat questionable flight models (the 757 especially, feels really light on the controls particularly during rotation/takeoff)Bad cockpit night lighting in the 757, it is too bright, the 727 cockpit lighting is good, and the 767 is acceptable.No failures modeled Very basic load managers (relies more on FSX itself to load and fuel the aircraft)The 727, 757, and 767 all require aircraft.cfg edits to work properlyThe 757-200 passenger variant overhead lighting does not work properly, the 757-200F overhead lighting doesThe 727 requires you to load it twice before all the sounds work My 757/767 VNAV windows still do not go blank with VNAV engagedI purchased all of mine except for the 727 at the sale price of 9.99 Euros, which in my opinion they are a good value for that. I would not pay full price for the 757/767 considering the issues I mentioned. In my opinion, the 727 v2.4 is their best work.

Guest yankeesji

I have them all and aslso all of PMDG's...The CS are FPS eaters like no other, but they have nice planes for sure. I would just purchase another PMDG plane. :(

I purchased all of mine except for the 727 at the sale price of 9.99 Euros, which in my opinion they are a good value for that. I would not pay full price for the 757/767 considering the issues I mentioned. In my opinion, the 727 v2.4 is their best work.
While not as good as the Xmas sale, the CS757 and 727 is on sale again now for 29.99 euros. (Vs 59.00 euros regular price.) The 767 is 39.99.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

While not as good as the Xmas sale, the CS757 and 727 is on sale again now for 29.99 euros. (Vs 59.00 euros regular price.) The 767 is 39.99.
Nice, I think I got the 727 for 29.99 euros. I took the v2.4 out for the first time yesterday. With the trim effectiveness fix, altimeter callout fix, GPWS callout fix, and the weather radar, this is one really fun aircraft to fly.

Captain Sim the company are often much maligned, and like a lot of things of that nature, sometimes it is deserved and sometimes not. Much of it stems from a few less than genius-like decisions they have made in the past, such as their Block System for sales and the on/off decisions about whether they would continue to develop certain products (most notably the FS9 version of their 757). But by and large, their products are usually fairly solid. Recently, they announced they were going to add further developments to their B-52, and you can take that as an example of how (in comparison to PMDG) they seem to be a little less doggedly focused on exactly where they are going with their products. By comparison, you won't see PMDG release anything until they are damn-near certain the thing is finished, which is of course what lies at the heart of their reputation for quality output.But back with Captain Sim, by way of example, let's take their FSX 757: Some people have reported issues with it, but I personally found that it is merely very picky about whether SP1 and SP2 for FSX have been installed correctly if it is to work properly. With both those installed and working alright, their 757 has not given me any issues and is in fact a great add-on for FSX, although it is certainly something of a frame-rate eater, so if your system struggles with FSX, you might want to bear that in mind. And that's probably true of pretty much all their stuff, as they do go for a lot of detail on their cockpits and don't seem to have done the 'under the hood' development work PMDG have done in optimising such things. Nevertheless, when we say 'PMDG standards', I'd contest that when Captain Sim brought out their FS9 727, 707 and C-130, the thing to strive for was 'Captain Sim standard', as those were products that definitely pushed the envelope, as indeed did PMDG's FS9 737 when it was new. I've been impressed enough with Captain Sim's output to welcome the news that they are making an FSX B707, and I'll be one of their first customers for that thing.Thus (since you can still buy the PMDG FS9 737) it's worth bearing in mind that when people say 'PMDG standards' that can mean several things, for example, let's take the PMDG Boeing 747-400, which is now a few years old. That's probably one of the most tour-de-force developments ever for FS, and quite possibly the best thing ever made for FS too, but it was not without issues when first released, and it does have one or two (admittedly very minor) errors on it, moreover, as much as it is truly an excellent add-on, there are now other FS add-ons which surpass it in the graphics department and with regard to what works in the VC, and it is also worth remembering that when PMDG's FS9 737 and 747 were released, they too were regarded as tough on frame rates, just as Captain Sim's 757 is. So when people use the phrase 'PMDG standards' they ought to bear that sort of thing in mind. But as a caveat to this, since that was true, what is also true is that PMDG developers have worked hard on sussing out how to optimise VCs and improve frame rates, and this is nowhere more apparent than in the performance difference between the PMDG 747 and the later PMDG MD-11 (which, we will remember had a bit of a lighting issue when it was released, so although rare, let's not pretend PMDG can do no wrong), but pushing the VC developmental envelope is a trend which PMDG have continued, wherein their J41 is something of a 'technology demonstrator' and testbed for their forthcoming new 737NG.So PMDG can certainly be quite rightly regarded as a company that sets the standards others strive to meet, and they do seem to manage that whilst almost never dropping the ball (unlike Captain Sim, who also push things, but do drop the ball on occasion). At the times PMDG's 747 and 737 came out, there was literally nothing to match them and they both hold up fairly well even today, in spite of developmental advances. These days however, PMDG's J41 might be regarded as 'the new PMDG standard', and I suspect that their forthcoming 737NG will continue the trend and be the de-facto standard by which any other add-on airliner is measured in the same way as was true for pretty much all of the PMDG products, and one or two Captain Sim ones when they were new.So keep in mind that when you look at the PMDG range of products (and Captain Sim too), you are looking at many years of progressively improving development standards; there is no one 'PMDG standard' in the same way as there is no one 'Captain Sim standard'. They have both pushed the envelope at times, but of the two, PMDG pushes harder and tends to pull things off more successfully as well. Their reputation for excellence is well deserved, but by the same token, the reputation Captain Sim has garnered is perhaps a little unfair in the grand scheme of things.I don't think you'd be disappointed with a Captain Sim add-on, and you could certainly do a lot worse for the money. I would suggest taking a look in the reviews section of the AVSIM pages and reading up on anything you have taken a shine to (and not just for PMDG and Captain Sim, since there are other worthy airliner contenders).Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Actually they do have saved panel states in the latest version of the 757, and 767. You can save your flight and when you reload it all gauges as well as the FMC are as they were at the point of the save.
Cool! I wasn't aware of that. I've been spending so much time in my 727 lately that I've neglected flying (and updating) my 757.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Chock,Good post. For me, despite following NickN's installation guide to the letter, and having a perfectly configured FSX Acceleration install, fully activated SDK install, and a registered version of FSUIPC, my CS 757/767 both do not blank the SPD window when VNAV is engaged. VNAV still functions, so it is really just an annoyance.

Guest Ebodee

I am bored freight dogn' my MD-11 in UPS colors from Ontario to Louisville so I thought I would offer you my perspective as an owner of Captain Sim and PMDG products. I purchased the Captain Sim Legendary 727 many years ago. The product's flight model was suspect and considerable modding was performed by the community of 727 drivers who flew em for real.The visual elements were stunning with well modeled system design that gave an overall impression of being inside a rather classic bird. I recently upgraded to the FSX version and I am slapped with a ham sammich' again. Just an awesome job they did with the 727. I read about needed improvements to the flight model again but visually gorgeous.The 757 was a disappointment. System modeling was respectable and highly comparable to a real 757. However, the flight model and flight dynamics were shameful. The aircraft could at stall snap roll like a fighter, definitely had a Cessna 172 like roll rate and just did not feel like a 757-200 or -300. Then there was what I considered normality but CS considered abnormality. The aircraft would dutch and roll violently and was quite a sight to see the yoke at full deflection left and right in rythmic oscillations. It had gotten to the point where for some time when looking at my computer screen it would sway left and right ... quite horrible.The 767 was quite a prize. In comparison the Level D 767 and CS 767 were clearly competing products. Very little difference between them operationally and systems modeling. I bought both and enjoy both without a sense of the Level D product being superior even as aged as it is. Of course there were problems with the flight model in the CS 767 and on approach the infamous rocking and rolling.I own no other Captain Sim products and honestly do not plan to. After the 757 disaster which I felt personally should not happen period no matter what my machine is, my OS, my equipment, whatever no add-on will perform like that and that company retain my respect. I still honor the CS products I own, still fly them but have chosen to heavily modify the 757 and 767. I redid portions of the .air including autopilot and flight dynamics and added missing sections. Now both the 767 conduct proper flights including category III autolands but unfortunately do not flare. Omitted by the developer? CS commented on their forums a contrast and comparison between the real aircraft and their rendition. I didn't buy it and the thing should flare in autoland.Take the MD-11 for example. Wow and even corrects the nose prior to rotating down on full autoland. Proper ils approach capture and best I have seen with no undershoot, overshoot, or lack of stability and I have thrown that bird around in the air, off flight route, and all manner of crazyness and yet the MD-11 complains not, readjusts, and performs.Well anyway I digress, some don't like the MD-11 but I can't get enough including the 747. I do not compare PMDG to Captain Sim because each company has something to offer. I personally like Captain Sims' visual accuity. I like PMDG's superior modeling and thoroughness.

Guest 413X3

my only complaint about the CS 727, not enough power! Really needs a new FDE edit.

my only complaint about the CS 727, not enough power! Really needs a new FDE edit.
I've noticed that about it, too. With a full load of fuel, I usually have to step-climb to make it up into the flight levels. It really ticks the FSX ATC off. Once you're up there, it goes pretty good, though.

Bill Womack