Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Life Insurance for GA pilots (non-simulated)

I currently have a term life insurance policy, but plan on flying soon and want to remain covered... my current policy does not cover GA flight.Any recommendations of companies you've personally dealt with are greatly appreciated.thanks,Andrew

I've found that companies tend to not like it when you mention that you fly gliders, which they deem as risky, so if you fly, make sure you say it is powered stuff, or at least try to avoid quantifying it if you do fly unpowered craft!Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I currently have a term life insurance policy, but plan on flying soon and want to remain covered... my current policy does not cover GA flight.Any recommendations of companies you've personally dealt with are greatly appreciated.thanks,Andrew
Who is your carrier? Do you have a copy of the exclusion you can post? Does it exclude just being crew or being a pax as well?I have three terms (2 Allstate/Lincoln & 1 State Farm) that all allow GA/Commercial flight ops. The two Allstate policies have exclusions for different ops based on my past. One excludes all losses being a CFI or flight crew for military flights and the other excludes low level survey/interdiction flights. I pay an extra $11 per month over my wife for both policies with aviation. State Farm has general exclusions for ops like crop dusting, CFI, banner, etc. You may be able to add an endorsement for extra premium to your current term that will cover GA. This premium should not break the bank. Check with your agent if this is possible. If not get quotes from other carriers on coverages with GA. I did notice most of the Underwriters are not familiar with aviation so I wrote a letter describing in detail my typical flight ops and history. One warning, most people will buy an umbrella policy to cover any exclusions in their life/property coverages. Umbrella's normally exclude all aviaiton/marine losses.

Thanks all - very helpful info here.cr4ckm0nk3y, (and I have to chuckle there at the contrast between your user name and the topic, thanks for the small amount of coffee in my nose), I'm currently with AIG - turns out I'm covered, but may still consider adding some type of supplemental as my flying picks up in the next few weeks.Cheers,Andrew

Thanks all - very helpful info here.cr4ckm0nk3y, (and I have to chuckle there at the contrast between your user name and the topic, thanks for the small amount of coffee in my nose), I'm currently with AIG - turns out I'm covered, but may still consider adding some type of supplemental as my flying picks up in the next few weeks.Cheers,Andrew
If you will be renting from a local flight school I would also recommend non-owned coverage. Avemco, Chartis Aerospace (new name for AIG), USSIC and a few others provide coverage for a good price. Avemco is a direct writer so no agents are involved. Just make sure the non-owned aircraft physical damage amount is greater than or equal to the flight schools deductible. The flight schools policy is primary and the non-owner covers excess and uninsured liability (ie: deductible). Glad I could also help you out with a chuckle :( Regards,John

Thanks again, I'll look into that. Sounds like a good idea.Andrew
That is a very good idea, otherwise at the least you would get stuck with the rental aircraft owner's deductable in the event of an accident such as bending the nosegear and prop in a landing gone wrong. If the accident resulted from gross negligence on your part you might end up in court with the insurance company trying to recover their loss. In my case I just got stuck with the deductable but it was still a costly lesson. Good luck with your flying.