Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Bojote's Shader 3.0 mod for FSX

I entered the correct line in FSX.cfg, dropped in the new ShadersHLSL, and I see no change whatsoever using I think the most recent nV driver, nHancer with in-game AA and enhanced AA in the driver. Was hoping to see better water, which still, IMO, is pretty poor by today's processing standards. Any ideas on why this is not looking any difference on my machine, specs below? I don't use the enbseries tweak, and didn't think that was required, yes?Noel
Hi Noel,I don't think there is a dramatic 'change' in IQ, if anything just water reflections at night and wave effects... also, ATI users are reporting a performance increase under heavy clouds, with nVidias there is no change with performance (at least not one I can notice)By the way, you deleted the shader cache correct? otherwise the changes will not take effect.

I also use this (probably redundant) lines after the Shader 3.0 mod. I say 'redundant' because they 'should' be enabled by default, but in case they are not here they are:[GRAPHICS]SHADER_PARTIAL_PRECISION=1SHADER_OPTIMIZE=1the above are related to how Shaders are compiled, so its a good idea to re-compile/remove the shader cache after adding those lines. note this is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL, I don't see ANY DIFFERENCE using those lines, I'm just providing them for those with ATI's to test and see if there is any benefit.

I also use this (probably redundant) lines after the Shader 3.0 mod. I say 'redundant' because they 'should' be enabled by default, but in case they are not here they are:[GRAPHICS]SHADER_PARTIAL_PRECISION=1SHADER_OPTIMIZE=1the above are related to how Shaders are compiled, so its a good idea to re-compile/remove the shader cache after adding those lines. note this is COMPLETELY OPTIONAL, I don't see ANY DIFFERENCE using those lines, I'm just providing them for those with ATI's to test and see if there is any benefit.
I have tested, but could not see any noticeable difference, I did see a bit of stuttering, but I think that was just down to the fact I had just re-compiled the shaders.

Craig Sells

I have tested, but could not see any noticeable difference, I did see a bit of stuttering, but I think that was just down to the fact I had just re-compiled the shaders.
Correct, after each recompile you DO get some short stutters, this is normal... they just happen once.

Hi Noel,By the way, you deleted the shader cache correct? otherwise the changes will not take effect.
Thanks *******. I don't think I had deleted the shader cache, did I?!Tell me if you would, what should i have in this section of fsx.cfg (shader-related settings, for both the 3.0 tweak and default): Some of these are repeated and I have no idea what should be there:[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1 // it 're-builds' the Shader Cache (good to do on every fsx.cfg change) just enter a random number (versioning)//ALLOW_SHADER_30=1HIGHMEMFIX=1SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458433SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458433STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647 // (2048 megabytes)D3D10=0TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=1EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0TEXTURE_QUALITY=3IMAGE_QUALITY=0See_Self=1Text_Scroll=1SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458433

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

The new 3.0 shader was working well but I noticed some white puffs of light in the water textures at night so I reverted my shaders folder.Did anyone else notice this?jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

The new 3.0 shader was working well but I noticed some white puffs of light in the water textures at night so I reverted my shaders folder.Did anyone else notice this?jja
not sure if its the same I'm seeing, but what I do see is better reflections, which makes the water look more 'sparking' are we talkibg about the same thing?

Noel, change this:[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=9872430ALLOW_SHADER_30=1make sure the above lines match your fsx.cfg

Noel, change this:[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=9872430ALLOW_SHADER_30=1make sure the above lines match your fsx.cfg
I agree the water does look better. I suspect that the light splotches were star reflections but they looked odd.I'll try you settings.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I agree the water does look better. I suspect that the light splotches were star reflections but they looked odd.I'll try you settings.jja
They are in fact star reflections, but with a more active wave animation it's less noticeable.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Guest 413X3

How can I edit the water effects to tone down reflections?

*******, which of these seemingly related entries, should I be keeping or eliminating?[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458433SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458433STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647 // (2048 megabytes)Also, I do want to be able to revert to the default shaders, so is this entry to be present for EITHER shader version?: SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=9872430Isn't a "random number" is what goes into SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=x to rebuild it, so 1 is not included as a random number? Why this specific number:9872430, a red herring?Thank you,Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

How can I edit the water effects to tone down reflections?
While playing with WaterConstants.xml I was able to increase the reflection power (I did this while I was testing the Shaders) but I don't remember which option I changed (or added) sorry. I'll check into this next week
*******, which of these seemingly related entries, should I be keeping or eliminating?[GRAPHICS]SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458433SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458433STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647 // (2048 megabytes)
None, don't touch those.
Also, I do want to be able to revert to the default shaders, so is this entry to be present for EITHER shader version?: SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=9872430Isn't a "random number" is what goes into SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=x to rebuild it, so 1 is not included as a random number? Why this specific number:9872430, a red herring?Thank you,Noel
Sure, its random.. 9872430 was just an example, you can use ANYONE as long as you change it after a shader change.Reverting 'back' to old shaders is as simple as:1) Copying your ShadersHLSL back2) Changing SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=x to any random numberand thats it.Only when using the mod you require ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

OK, seems to be working, though as you say there isn't a whole lot of difference in water or other. I find FSX's water implemenation to be not very nice to view. Hopefully this shader change will get rid of the frantic sparkling water that I saw the other day in the PNW. The sparkling was fine, but the rate of sparkle was crazy too fast. It seemed about 10x the pace of what it would look like in the real world.Many thanks for your help *******!Noel

Noel

*******,Ive done some direct comparisons between shaders and it is definitely this shader mod thats giving the performance increase with my ATI card, with any cloud and or smoke/fog. The 10.4 driver is giving a little better SSAA, but the 5870 seems to very much like Shader model 3.0.

Craig Sells