Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Bojote's Shader 3.0 mod for FSX

I just made a quick screenshot for you, please see attached. It's 50% of original size.Kind regardsDave
Dave,I already identified the problem. Unfortunately it is ALSO present when you use DX10 Preview mode (which doesn't use any mods) they just use SM4.0 which is what FSX ships as default for DX10The problem is a little bug. It appears, that Microsoft forgot to make pixel 'fog' calculations for this effects. when using Shader Model 1 or 2, this is NOT a problem, because fog does not needs to be calculated and passed to the emitter/pixel.Shader model 3 and 4 DO require special consideration, so, when you compile the 'General' shader using SM3.0 you experience the above effect. I;ve decided that, for the next version I will DOWNGRADE the General Shader to Version 2.0, this is not a problem, general folder only applies to 'effects' runways tarmac and A/C textures. all te other shaders remain SM3.0Thank you for the report!

Guest Zorg_DK

Hi *******,I just switched your first shader mod version that you emailed me to your latest 1.3. I've only done a quick flight and the framerate is still fantastic (60 fps w/ unlimited frames). I don't like the shimmering in terrain and water in the latest version. How can I get rid of that? I read about lod bias on the previous page... Can you explain how to do it?Thanks for work.

To Flyandfight,You didnt happen to install any SHD wave animation maps from FSWC did you? Like the ones 'gizmo' made. They used to do that for me when I had them... bad tiling.Its because they are 4096 resolution.David.
Hi David,I haven't installed any SHD wave animations from FSWC. I did experiment with them before but since then, I have done a clean install of FSX. Perhaps some files from FSWC remained? I'll check it out. Thanks for the info!!

Alexander Alonso

Hi *******,I just switched your first shader mod version that you emailed me to your latest 1.3. I've only done a quick flight and the framerate is still fantastic (60 fps w/ unlimited frames). I don't like the shimmering in terrain and water in the latest version. How can I get rid of that? I read about lod bias on the previous page... Can you explain how to do it?Thanks for work.
Zork,Add these to your FSX.CFG and then make sure you rebuild your shaders again:[TERRAIN]MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21Rebuild your shaders as instructed by ******* by adding SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=x under the [GRAPHICS] section in your fsx.cfg (replace x with an incrementing number each time you want your shaders rebuild after a change)

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Guest Zorg_DK
Zork,Add these to your FSX.CFG and then make sure you rebuild your shaders again:[TERRAIN]MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21Rebuild your shaders as instructed by ******* by adding SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=x under the [GRAPHICS] section in your fsx.cfg (replace x with an incrementing number each time you want your shaders rebuild after a change)
Thanks Gerhard, I'll try that.

Well, no SHD wave animations from FSWC installed. It's also showing default FSX as the setup. I even tried playing around with the "TML" texture max load editor program but still no cigar...I put back the original Waterconstants.xml and ShadersHLSL folder and the "grids", while not gone, are just not as noticible. See the below:test7f.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.ustest8.jpgI still MUCH prefer bojote's settings but I can't get past the "grids"... :(EDIT: After putting back the defaults, I also put back the "MipBias=6" and it virtually eliminated the "grids".

Alexander Alonso

I still MUCH prefer bojote's settings but I can't get past the "grids"... :(
I've uploaded a new version.From now on, ALL previous version I uploaded point to SM3_current.zip so no matter which you download from NOW on, it wil always be the latest.The download link is:http://www.venetubo.com/SM3_current.zipOnly changes are related to those grids and the black building smoke issue reported under heavy fog. The grids, I can't check if they were solved because I don't see them! and the black smoke, I already explained this is a Microsoft bug, so I reverted the 'general effects' shaders to 2.0 and this fixed it. All water, clouds, terrain remain SM3.0Remember, the INCLUDED Waterconstants.XML file can be tweaked to your personal tastes... If you have any questions about it I suggest you ask Gerhard whose been playing with it even more than I have. WaterConstants.XML provides the Water shader with 'custom' info, such as reflection power, wave height, sea movement at different altitudes.... its a great way to make the water look EXACTLY the way you like it.If you have *ANY* suggestions, as to a particular thing you would like changed let me know... via shaders you can pretty much do anything, we can tweak cloud colors, intensity, rain drops, etc etc... personally, I'm happy the way it is now, but if enough people request a single feature I'll add it.

Thanks ******* !I have 3 things to ask.Is it possible to adjust the width of the water reflections ?At the horizon I have the feeling it should be wider and not like an arrow.Secondly : the color of the suns reflection in the water.At sunset the reflections are more yellow/red instead of white. And last : what values change the reflection intensity in the water of the moon BTW : it would be nice for others to describe the most important values in the XML file and what they do. regards,

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Thanks for the new version *******!I've been testing the old version the past two days and will report back tomorrow after giving your new version a run.

...If you have any questions about it I suggest you ask Gerhard whose been playing with it even more than I have...
I do believe you actually meant Gerard, aka GSalden, who's been testing the WaterConstants.xml settings. I've only been in the background testing the previous version of the sm. :(

Regards,

Gerhard

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things" (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

I do believe you actually meant Gerard, aka GSalden, who's been testing the WaterConstants.xml settings. I've only been in the background testing the previous version of the sm. :(
Oops... sorry :) similar names :) you are correct.
Thanks ******* !I have 3 things to ask.Is it possible to adjust the width of the water reflections ?At the horizon I have the feeling it should be wider and not like an arrow.Secondly : the color of the suns reflection in the water.At sunset the reflections are more yellow/red instead of white. And last : what values change the reflection intensity in the water of the moon BTW : it would be nice for others to describe the most important values in the XML file and what they do.
Send me your email or contact me at jaltuve@gmail.comThere is a lot of values there, but I lack the time to 'experiment' if you want to help please contact me.

Guest BOM

Been following this very interesting thing with the 3.0 shaders.Just one question:I have REX2 and I think the water looks great.Will this 3.0 mod/tweak improve the REX water?

Will this 3.0 mod/tweak improve the REX water?
REX water is ALREADY great, what the mod does is make it even greater :)remember, REX creates 'textures' but it is up to the 'renderer' to display them in the FSX world.Shader Model 3.0 is the most efficient way of rendering textures using last generation hardware. I will be posting some comparison screenshots.. I'm currently working on some other stuff right now.

Guest BOM

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a try...

Hi David,I haven't installed any SHD wave animations from FSWC. I did experiment with them before but since then, I have done a clean install of FSX. Perhaps some files from FSWC remained? I'll check it out. Thanks for the info!!
Gizmos animation maps are pretty good, alot of people like them. I thought thay had bad tiling propertys but i was just remembering wrong :( Good to check anyway.Later.David.