Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Bojote's Shader 3.0 mod for FSX

I'm not sure if this has been introduced since adding the shader mod or not - just wondered was there a fix for it but changing lodbias in the fxh files. I am not using the updated water constants file so maybe I need it.

Hello all, first off I'd like to say that this tweak has had by far the biggest effect on performance of all the tweaks I've ever tried. Now it finally feels like my HD5770 is actually being used! I am able to fly in 5 mi vis with 8/8 cloud cover and smooth FPS. I have two issues though. The first is that when I use MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21 and MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21, I get some blurred textures, such as the runway at FTX's fantastic new Wax Orchards. When I change it to MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=15, however, those textures look fine. The other issue is that I have the grided water. I am using REX2 and the sparkling theme. I have read all 17 pages of this thread (whew!) and would like some help to try and get rid of those grids. Thanks again, *******!

Hi Bell417,I've probably been the most vocal regarding the grids. I just want to point out that I do not use Rex2 and have the grids. So it's definitely not something inherent with Rex2.I've played around with the settings in the terrain.fxh file inside the ShadersHLSL/Terrain folder, as well as the WaterConstants file and I just can't find the culprit. I really like the new shaders but those grids are just unacceptable to me and I end up reverting to the default ShadersHLSL/Terrain folder (while using *******'s other updated shader folders.)I'm hoping to experiment further over the weekend and hopefully figure out what the problem is.

Alexander Alonso

Hello all, first off I'd like to say that this tweak has had by far the biggest effect on performance of all the tweaks I've ever tried. Now it finally feels like my HD5770 is actually being used! I am able to fly in 5 mi vis with 8/8 cloud cover and smooth FPS. I have two issues though. The first is that when I use MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21 and MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21, I get some blurred textures, such as the runway at FTX's fantastic new Wax Orchards. When I change it to MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=15, however, those textures look fine. The other issue is that I have the grided water. I am using REX2 and the sparkling theme. I have read all 17 pages of this thread (whew!) and would like some help to try and get rid of those grids. Thanks again, *******!
Have you tried playing with MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL and MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL at some other values, such as 20? or 19? 15 is the MIN value, 21 is the MAX.. one more thing, I didn't realize I also had something new in my FSX.cfg file... but I don't expect this to be the reason I don't see the grids, the value is:TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 // Default is 8It goes also under [TERRAIN] what that value does is tell FSX what the exponent value is for the value constant '2' determined to render the terrain texture tiles. so, the 10 here means: 102 Which is the same as (2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2 x 2) = 1024For some reason, the 'Default' in FSX is 8, which is (according to me) not right, because default texture size is (or should be) 1024 in FSX, so I don't know if this has some kind of impact with the grids.

I will try adding that, *******. FlyandFight, is there a decent performance drop from not using the new water shaders?

WOW! Problems solved! (without FlyandFight's tweak) I am able to have gridless water. Thank you so much, *******! Now I have two more questions; my water looks nice, but doesn't move as before. Is that how it's supposed to be (at 2x High)? Also, is it possible to use FSWC with your tweak? Thanks again!

Before I go ahead and read all 19 pages of this thread, I wonder if someone can tell me if this shader enhancement applies to those of us running Windows XP. thanks,Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

WOW! Problems solved! (without FlyandFight's tweak) I am able to have gridless water. Thank you so much, *******! Now I have two more questions; my water looks nice, but doesn't move as before. Is that how it's supposed to be (at 2x High)? Also, is it possible to use FSWC with your tweak? Thanks again!
That is great news! Which tweak was it that did it? The addition of the TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 // Default is 8 or the MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21 and MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21 being changed to a lower number?*******, I tried both but had no luck. The MIN_DETAIL and MAX_DETAIL was tried with several different numbers (20, 19, 15) and the grids still appeared. I've gone over my FSX.cfg file in detail and even compared it to your copy that you posted once and I'm not finding anything that could be causing the problem.
Before I go ahead and read all 19 pages of this thread, I wonder if someone can tell me if this shader enhancement applies to those of us running Windows XP. thanks,Mark.
I'm running WIndows XP myself. I hope THAT isn't the cause of my grid problems (though highly unlikely...)

Alexander Alonso

I'm running WIndows XP myself. I hope THAT isn't the cause of my grid problems (though highly unlikely...)
I'm sending you the latest version of the shader mod (the one I currently use) I'm sending it via PM, so don't share it... I believe to have introduced several enhanments, not just water.. but to everything while improving performance even more, but I need to have someone confirm this, so stand by, and please DO test them extensively... not just 15-20 minutes.. wait a long long while before posting pack to the forum...Thanks,

FlyandFight, I'm not sure. I also added the HIGHMEMFIX, but I doubt that did it.

I'm sending you the latest version of the shader mod (the one I currently use) I'm sending it via PM, so don't share it... I believe to have introduced several enhanments, not just water.. but to everything while improving performance even more, but I need to have someone confirm this, so stand by, and please DO test them extensively... not just 15-20 minutes.. wait a long long while before posting pack to the forum...Thanks,
Will definitely do so, *******. And thank you for all of your help and hard work.
FlyandFight, I'm not sure. I also added the HIGHMEMFIX, but I doubt that did it.
No problem. I already have the HIGHMEMFIX in there, as well as tried the other options.

Alexander Alonso

Please can you send it to me as well? I still enjoy watching your Trackir video with the LVLD Bojote ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Zorg_DK

I have also noticed that the wave animation seems quite static (Rex 2, sparkling). Other than that water looks great.

I have also noticed that the wave animation seems quite static (Rex 2, sparkling). Other than that water looks great.
Is it possible what you perceive as wave sparkles (crawling ants on land) are actually due to a negative LOD? I think that on my rig nHancer AA 8s and maybe some other setting have cleaned up my waves. 3.0 really looks good otherwise.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png