Sign in to follow this  
bojote

Bojote's Shader 3.0 mod for FSX

Is it the same waterconstants.xml as in your latest distribution package v1.5 ?

Is it the same waterconstants.xml as in your latest distribution package v1.5 ?
Nope. That Waterconstants.xml file had a bug.. I explained it here loooong time ago. The bug is simply the fact that sun reflections dissapear when you go lower than 1500ft, this was due to an incorrect value in that file. I will post it here once I get home.

Nope. That Waterconstants.xml file had a bug.. I explained it here loooong time ago. The bug is simply the fact that sun reflections dissapear when you go lower than 1500ft, this was due to an incorrect value in that file. I will post it here once I get home.
Here's my entire waterconstants.xml file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><SimBase.Document Type="WaterConstantFile" version="1,0">	<Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>	<WaterConsts.ConstantSets>		<ConstantSet>			<Shader20>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.475</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMax>0.588</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>					<fSpecularPower>53.384</fSpecularPower>					<fSpecularBoost>1.490</fSpecularBoost>					<fSpecularBlend>0.605</fSpecularBlend>					<fWaveBumpUVScale>9.500</fWaveBumpUVScale>					<fWaterBumpRotation>535.392</fWaterBumpRotation>					<fTimeX1>-1.283</fTimeX1>					<fTimeY1>1.004</fTimeY1>					<fTimeX2>-1.423</fTimeX2>					<fTimeY2>1.838</fTimeY2>			</Shader20>			<Shader30>			</Shader30>			<Wave>			</Wave>			<Shader40WaterClassSet>				<Shader40>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>					<fSpecularPower>53.384</fSpecularPower>					<fSpecularBoost>1.005</fSpecularBoost>					<fSpecularBlend>0.605</fSpecularBlend>					<fWhiteCapPower>0.844</fWhiteCapPower>					<fWaveBumpUVScale1>3.847</fWaveBumpUVScale1>					<fWaveBumpUVScale2>3.563</fWaveBumpUVScale2>					<fWaveBumpUVScale3>1.822</fWaveBumpUVScale3>					<fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>4.217</fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>					<fWaterBumpRotation1>141.516</fWaterBumpRotation1>					<fWaterBumpRotation2>331.488</fWaterBumpRotation2>					<fWaterBumpRotation3>62.388</fWaterBumpRotation3>					<fWaterBumpBlend1>0.757</fWaterBumpBlend1>					<fWaterBumpBlend2>0.751</fWaterBumpBlend2>					<fWaterBumpBlend3>0.567</fWaterBumpBlend3>					<fWaterBumpBlendDetail>0.616</fWaterBumpBlendDetail>					<fWaterBumpWind3>0.599</fWaterBumpWind3>					<fWaterBumpWindDetail>0.497</fWaterBumpWindDetail>					<fTimeX1>-1.283</fTimeX1>					<fTimeX2>-1.423</fTimeX2>					<fTimeX3>1.074</fTimeX3>					<fTimeXDetail>-2.882</fTimeXDetail>					<fTimeY1>1.004</fTimeY1>					<fTimeY2>1.838</fTimeY2>					<fTimeY3>-0.036</fTimeY3>					<fTimeYDetail>2.740</fTimeYDetail>				</Shader40>			</Shader40WaterClassSet>		</ConstantSet>		<ConstantSet>			<Elevation>MID</Elevation>			<Shader20>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.475</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMax>0.588</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>					<fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower>					<fSpecularBoost>1.491</fSpecularBoost>					<fSpecularBlend>0.719</fSpecularBlend>					<fWaveBumpUVScale>7.000</fWaveBumpUVScale>					<fWaterBumpRotation>534.708</fWaterBumpRotation>					<fTimeX1>-0.869</fTimeX1>					<fTimeY1>0.727</fTimeY1>					<fTimeX2>-1.006</fTimeX2>					<fTimeY2>1.214</fTimeY2>			</Shader20>			<Shader30>			</Shader30>			<Wave>			</Wave>			<Shader40WaterClassSet>				<Shader40>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>					<fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower>					<fSpecularBoost>1.004</fSpecularBoost>					<fSpecularBlend>0.719</fSpecularBlend>					<fWhiteCapPower>0.838</fWhiteCapPower>					<fWaveBumpUVScale1>2.405</fWaveBumpUVScale1>					<fWaveBumpUVScale2>2.405</fWaveBumpUVScale2>					<fWaveBumpUVScale3>1.352</fWaveBumpUVScale3>					<fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>16.527</fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>					<fWaterBumpRotation1>141.516</fWaterBumpRotation1>					<fWaterBumpRotation2>330.804</fWaterBumpRotation2>					<fWaterBumpRotation3>62.388</fWaterBumpRotation3>					<fWaterBumpRotationDetail>156.024</fWaterBumpRotationDetail>					<fWaterBumpBlend1>0.751</fWaterBumpBlend1>					<fWaterBumpBlend2>0.746</fWaterBumpBlend2>					<fWaterBumpBlend3>0.723</fWaterBumpBlend3>					<fWaterBumpBlendDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpBlendDetail>					<fWaterBumpWind3>0.595</fWaterBumpWind3>					<fWaterBumpWindDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpWindDetail>					<fTimeX1>-0.869</fTimeX1>					<fTimeX2>-1.006</fTimeX2>					<fTimeX3>0.727</fTimeX3>					<fTimeXDetail>0.659</fTimeXDetail>					<fTimeY1>0.727</fTimeY1>					<fTimeY2>1.214</fTimeY2>					<fTimeY3>-0.036</fTimeY3>					<fTimeYDetail>-2.185</fTimeYDetail>				</Shader40>			</Shader40WaterClassSet>		</ConstantSet>		<ConstantSet>			<Elevation>HIGH</Elevation>			<Shader20>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.475</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMax>0.588</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>					<fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower>					<fSpecularBoost>1.491</fSpecularBoost>					<fSpecularBlend>0.719</fSpecularBlend>					<fWaveBumpUVScale>3.500</fWaveBumpUVScale>					<fWaterBumpRotation>532.656</fWaterBumpRotation>					<fTimeX1>-0.728</fTimeX1>					<fTimeY1>0.312</fTimeY1>					<fTimeX2>-0.798</fTimeX2>					<fTimeY2>0.935</fTimeY2>			</Shader20>			<Shader30>			</Shader30>			<Wave>			</Wave>			<Shader40WaterClassSet>				<Shader40>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMin>0.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMin>					<fWaveFresnelFactorMax>1.000</fWaveFresnelFactorMax>					<fSpecularPower>69.513</fSpecularPower>					<fSpecularBoost>1.004</fSpecularBoost>					<fSpecularBlend>0.719</fSpecularBlend>					<fWhiteCapPower>0.844</fWhiteCapPower>					<fWaveBumpUVScale1>1.248</fWaveBumpUVScale1>					<fWaveBumpUVScale2>1.248</fWaveBumpUVScale2>					<fWaveBumpUVScale3>0.674</fWaveBumpUVScale3>					<fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>0.100</fWaveBumpUVScaleDetail>					<fWaterBumpRotation1>141.516</fWaterBumpRotation1>					<fWaterBumpRotation2>328.752</fWaterBumpRotation2>					<fWaterBumpRotation3>62.388</fWaterBumpRotation3>					<fWaterBumpRotationDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpRotationDetail>					<fWaterBumpBlend1>0.746</fWaterBumpBlend1>					<fWaterBumpBlend2>0.746</fWaterBumpBlend2>					<fWaterBumpBlend3>0.682</fWaterBumpBlend3>					<fWaterBumpBlendDetail>0.000</fWaterBumpBlendDetail>					<fWaterBumpWind3>0.595</fWaterBumpWind3>					<fWaterBumpWindDetail>0.023</fWaterBumpWindDetail>					<fTimeX1>-0.728</fTimeX1>					<fTimeX2>-0.798</fTimeX2>					<fTimeX3>0.589</fTimeX3>					<fTimeXDetail>-1.000</fTimeXDetail>					<fTimeY1>0.312</fTimeY1>					<fTimeY2>0.935</fTimeY2>					<fTimeY3>-0.036</fTimeY3>					<fTimeYDetail>1.000</fTimeYDetail>				</Shader40>			</Shader40WaterClassSet>		</ConstantSet>	</WaterConsts.ConstantSets></SimBase.Document>

Just a quick update on the 1.5 version. I've been using it for several weeks and it's working great for me. While I haven't been able to sim much during that time, there was a definite improvement with the new shader mod. The only problem I had was with the dreaded "grids" appearing on the water. They were more prominent when flying during the early morning or late afternoon, when the sun would create reflections towards the horizon. Also the higher one flies, the more apparent was grid pattern. I managed to clear that up by simply using the default "Terrain" folder but everything else being the newer version. Some observations that may or may not be real (read placebo effect): 1) When flying through clouds, the transition is smoother. More wispy, if that makes any sense. The 2D clouds fade away smoother as one flies through them.2) The water definitely appears better though not as good as with the 1.5 Terrain files (but without the grids.) For example, water "depth" appeared better as well.3) There were times when flying in the late afternoon when cloud reflections appeared darker when looking towards the sun, giving an almost cloud shadow effect.4) Overall reflections looked sharper. Water "depth" appeared better as well. Cockpit interior and instruments appeared clearer.I'll continue to make additional observations and post them here. My system is FAR from the latest/greatest but I've definitely benefited from the Bojote shader mod.Thanks again, *******!

Alexander Alonso

I'll continue to make additional observations and post them here. My system is FAR from the latest/greatest but I've definitely benefited from the Bojote shader mod.Thanks again, *******!
My pleasure, glad you are enyoing it.

Can you explain please to me, how to get off this grid on the water? I realized the same. I would like to change this, but how? Does it sense to let REX 2.0 re-install the texture set? Do I have to pay attention somehow not to use REX anymore after installing the shader mod?

Thanks ******* for the WaterConstants file. I tried it because of the speed of the waves, especially the large swells. Personally i like them even slower, almost no motion at all. Is this possible? Would you be so kind to reveal which values i have to change?I'm using the waterconstants without the shadershsl modifications. This, because when i use the latter my HD3870 is brought to it's knees when facing water bodies. Fps into the single digits when looking towards the horizon, which gets normal when looking up or down. My idea about the cause, it seems a part of the water normals are scaled down significantly because of the shader settings to get smaller waves. This would explain why some see this grid and my video card gets stuck. It would mean that a lot more texture normals (oceanhight20fieldlayer) are used per square mile. I'm not shure about this so i have to make a few screenies with my special normal textures i created by error :( to see if i'm right.thanks, Gerrit

To Pegasus1:The water grid is highly dependent on the REX2 wave animation (not the water textures) that is installed. Regarding the grid, I have best results when I use the "GREAT" wave animation. In general the more subtle waves will give you less apparent gridding on the water surfaces.Also, you have to set the <fSpecularBoost> variable according to the wave set that you use. On more subtle waves you have to use lower <fSpecularBoost> or the sun reflections will show as "burned" or unnaturally bright. With the "GREAT" wave animation my personal preference is a value of LOW:1.440 MID:1.441 HIGH:1443 <fSpecularBoost> in the Waterconstants.xml file. Be warned though that if you use a more prominent wave animation you may not have any reflection at all using that low values. You simply have to use a higher <fSpecularBoost> value.Nikos

I made some screens of how the ShaderSHLS files together with the WaterConstants handle the Waternormal textures (Oceanhight20fieldlayer.dds's). I don't know yet how i made this effect. Texture border pixels are partially missing after saving to 32 bit mipped DDS (R8G8B8A8 should be a working format). Whatever, it shows very well how the shader handles the texture. In DX9 only a single texture seems to be used in 2 layers. The smaller tile layer is static (no motion) and depict the small waves. The large tile layer is moving (which essentially makes the wave animation while shuffling transparantly over the other layer, at the same time depicting the large swells. WaterShaderStock.jpgThe screenshot below shows the result with the modified shaderfiles and WaterConstants.xml. The textures are still the same as in the above default situation. Although i didn't see this i can imagine that with other texture sets this might lead to unwanted grid or pattern effects. The textures seem to partially overlap and about the same size in both layers.WaterShaderModified.jpg*******, just wanted to add my 2 cents so you can make your shader mod to become perfect :( PM me if you need these 'bordered' water normals.[edit] *******, i noticed you got both layers moving, very slooowly! That's what i like very much! :(

*******, the Shader worked very well and then I had a crash of FSX. Did a reinstall of course with the old shader, but running very smooth. Question, did you test the Shader 3.0 mod and any card like the nVidia 8 series? I have a nVidia 8800GT with 512mb, does the new mod help this card? Has anyone tried the Shader 3.0 with low end cards?Bob

*******, the Shader worked very well and then I had a crash of FSX. Did a reinstall of course with the old shader, but running very smooth. Question, did you test the Shader 3.0 mod and any card like the nVidia 8 series? I have a nVidia 8800GT with 512mb, does the new mod help this card? Has anyone tried the Shader 3.0 with low end cards?Bob
Bob, the shader mod has been out for aprox 2 months, I've using it ever since with an nVidia card (GTX 480) the grids some report are something I've not seen, I believe, because of the REX theme I use (one with subtle wave animations)

Bob, the shader mod has been out for aprox 2 months, I've using it ever since with an nVidia card (GTX 480) the grids some report are something I've not seen, I believe, because of the REX theme I use (one with subtle wave animations)
*******, has anyone tested the mod with a 8800 class video card?Bob

*******, has anyone tested the mod with a 8800 class video card?Bob
Hmm.. not sure but it 'should' work, as long as the card is true DX9.0c compliant. My recomendations is of course to use the latest technology available.So far, the only problems I consistently see people having are related to grids showing up un the water, and the the top down view from outer space shows a fog covered earth, thats pretty much it for the sideeffects

Hey *******, just to let you know, I installed it an hour ago, fired up FSX and taxied my LDS 767 around Detroit Metro, everything looked very good. Will upgrade my video card when the budget says OK, :( . However in the mean time the nVidia 8800GT is giving me excellent frame rates 40-50fps. Going to fly from Detroit to London tomorrow, so will have a good shot at a LONG test.Thanks for a GREAT jobBob

Has anyone tried the Shader 3.0 with low end cards?
Is an integrated Redeon 3100 low enough? The card is DX10 capable, but I get lower perf for the same settings, and with plenty of stutters. With SM2 DX9 I get the highest frame rates, SM3 I get a bit lower but with no stutters and I can run with slightly higher settings than SM2. And do get the grid lines with the water, but something that does "remedy" the affect a bit is changing <fWaveBumpUVScale>9.500</fWaveBumpUVScale> to <fWaveBumpUVScale>9.000</fWaveBumpUVScale> it might reduce the perf hit on the horizon with ATI cards.