Sign in to follow this  
Guest nhill

cannot install Directx9 thus not able to use FS2004! Pl...

Guest michaelm

Hello there guys,I hope you can help me out on this.I installed right this morning FS2004. When I choose the installation mode, I got a message that FS2004 couldn't install DirectX9 and allerting me that FS2004 might not be usable properly. The reason why was due to the fact (so I read on the message) that my Windows version is not compatible with Directx9.I ignored this message and went on with the installation. But when I run the program A message showed up again claiming that FS2004 could not run without Directx9.I checked my actual version on DXdiag and it is the 8.1I tried to install Directx9 manually from the CD 1 of FS2004 but still the same message that my Windows version is not accepting the new Directx version.I'm desperate even because I'm a newby to computer surgery.Anyone got the same thing?For all: can anyone help me out please?My bests Michael, Italy

Guest stevehow

hi michealbest bet is to give a bit more info for the techies on here..they will need your windows version ie win98 win2000 or winxp,also what your computer specs are ie type of cpu, how much memory,video card ,motherboard and so on..that way they might be able to solve your problem for you. best wishes steve

Guest emergency_pants

That's sounds like a pain in the rear! Have you tried using "Windows Update" rather than CD install?If the worst comes to the worst, there are some utilities which will remove DirectX, allowing you to freshly install it. I can' trecall the name right now, but if you need it, I can take a look. Of course, if you have a major Windows error, this might leave you unable to install DX8.1 again too... so beware and only use it as an absolute last measure. Also, I would recommend backing-up everything first :)SOunds like you might get some joy from the Microsoft Support pages... that might throw up some answers.

Guest michaelm

I'm sorry guys I totally forgot to put some specs. Here we go:winXP proathlon 2000 giga512 ramsound blaster livemaxtor 80 giga 7200 rpmBy the way, everything was running greatly with fs2002. This morning I just uninstall fs2002 and here I have this problem.Another thing: I don't have internet connection on the simulation computer. Can you tell me where to find Directx9b that I heard to be better just to give it a try?Michael, Italy

Guest michaelm

Ok guys, just an update:I tried to install the Dx9"b" version but still the same result that is a message appears claiming that the windows version I have (by the way: Win xp pro 5.1 build 2526) will not accept the Directx 9 version. This is it, I have no other solution to it and I ask myself and you guys what else can I do to solve this problem. It looks like this is an OS problem but this sound like something very rare.Any other advices, guys?Michael Italy

Michael...Are there any service packs out which you haven't applied? That would be the first place I'd check....Second, any virus? Have you scanned your system with an updated virus checker? Also, have you tried either Spybot and/or Adaware, on the odd chance some sort of spyware is causing a conflict?It sounds to me like some process is preventing your Windows version from being reported properly. Either that, or some process has replaced what DX 9 uses for version checking with its own .exe or .dll...-John

Guest nhill

Michael, I had the same problem so you're no alone. I took my new AMD2400+ w/Win XP and 9500 Pro back to the shop. They just called me and the "fix" was to replace some "corrupted" XP (I assume) system files. I hope its ready to go. However I WAS able to install FS2004 on my older 1500+, Win XP and GF4-440. I have been having a blast, tweaking to all the latest info. My FPS ~20 except in large airports. My best suggestion so far fopr low end machines is to use "high detail" for clouds but make them 3d for only a few miles and the rest 2d. Looks great and hardly hits the FPS.