Sign in to follow this  
Guest BigSwede

Need advice how to overclocking my newbuildt computer

Guest BigSwede

Hi,I have a built a new computer, see the specdown below:Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58A-UD3R Bus Clock: 133 megahertzBIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F5 03/11/20102,85 gigahertz Intel Core i7 93032 kilobyte primary memory cache8192 kilobyte secondary memory cache64-bit readyMulti-core (4 total)Hyper-threaded (8 total)6144 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (3 x DDR3 1600+)Info from CPU-ZDRAM Frequency = 539.8 MHzFSB:DRAM = 2.8CAS# Latency(CL) = 7.0 clocksRAS# to CAS# Delay(tRCD) = 7.0 clocksRAS# Precharge(tRC) = 7.0 clocksCycel Time = 20 clocksRow refresh Cycle Time = 60 clocksCommand Rate = 1TNVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 [Display adapter]BenQ G2220HDA [Monitor] (21,7"vis, s/n AC902858SL0, december 2009)I hope someone of you Guys have the same spec (i7 930 and GTX 260) as I have and have done some OC you cane cheer with me, or maybe I dont need OC at all (LOL)I dont know anything about how to do OC.I hope my spec are good as it cost my a hell of money ( I'm a retier fellow with a small payroll)Par

I have just built a new system myself, see my signature and you will notice I have pretty much the same components, even the same GPU (I hardly see anyone here with the GTX 260). I have o/c'd my 930 to 4.2 ghz, which seems to be the max stable overclock on air cooling. I recommend you follow the fellow's advice above and take some time to learn the risks and rewards of overclocking. Once you are comfortable with taking on the endeavor, I would recommend visiting the link below for advice from flightsim guru NickN on oc'ing the 920/930 i7 (its the second to last post on the page). BTW, the 930 is basically the same as a 920 chip with a nice little bump in stock cpu speed.http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1263037900/0The i7 930 is easy to overclock to 4.0 ghz with a good air cooler and decent case airflow with the settings he lists. I was able to get to 4.0 just following his settings, and have tweaked them a little to reach 4.2. The emphasis is on finding the lowest cpu voltage to support a stable o/c that can pass prime95 testing for at least 12 hours, and OCCT for 1 hour.Good luck!

Hi,I have a built a new computer, see the specdown below:Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. X58A-UD3R Bus Clock: 133 megahertzBIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F5 03/11/20102,85 gigahertz Intel Core i7 93032 kilobyte primary memory cache8192 kilobyte secondary memory cache64-bit readyMulti-core (4 total)Hyper-threaded (8 total)6144 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (3 x DDR3 1600+)Info from CPU-ZDRAM Frequency = 539.8 MHzFSB:DRAM = 2.8CAS# Latency(CL) = 7.0 clocksRAS# to CAS# Delay(tRCD) = 7.0 clocksRAS# Precharge(tRC) = 7.0 clocksCycel Time = 20 clocksRow refresh Cycle Time = 60 clocksCommand Rate = 1TNVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 [Display adapter]BenQ G2220HDA [Monitor] (21,7"vis, s/n AC902858SL0, december 2009)I hope someone of you Guys have the same spec (i7 930 and GTX 260) as I have and have done some OC you cane cheer with me, or maybe I dont need OC at all (LOL)I dont know anything about how to do OC.I hope my spec are good as it cost my a hell of money ( I'm a retier fellow with a small payroll)Par
Here is a list of overclocking related forums --> http://www.big-boards.com/kw/overclocking/ happy reading!

I'm building a very similar system based upon the 930. I'm putting this together as time and budget permits. So far I have purchased:Cooler Master ATC 840 caseCooler Master V8 air coolerCore i7 930HP DVD/CD Drivers (2)Corsair Black Cavair 1TBCorsair HX 850 psuGTX 260 (from current system)I still have to decide on a motherboard and ram. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Asus P6T as a good compromise between performance and cost. I have no plans for SLI. Bob.. :)

Guest BigSwede

Thx to all yours replay, I understand now I havet to read a lot on how to do so I will just observe if I need to do any OC at all.Par

I'm building a very similar system based upon the 930. I'm putting this together as time and budget permits. So far I have purchased:Cooler Master ATC 840 caseCooler Master V8 air coolerCore i7 930HP DVD/CD Drivers (2)Corsair Black Cavair 1TBCorsair HX 850 psuGTX 260 (from current system)I still have to decide on a motherboard and ram. Right now, I'm leaning toward the Asus P6T as a good compromise between performance and cost. I have no plans for SLI. Bob.. :)