Sign in to follow this  
Emile

Anyone here have real-world Taildragger experience?

I've never flown a taildragger like the piper cub in R/L, only tricycle gear. My observation is that the FS2004 taildragger flight dynamics with the default Piper are totally screwy on the ground. Any comments?

Dave,I have a bit of experience with various taildraggers (Cub, SuperCub, Taylorcraft, Stearman, Luscombe, etc.) and if you think the FS2004 Cub is screwy on the ground, just try to taxi a real-life Cub in a crosswind! Very interesting experience I must say. I do believe that the word "terrified" was coined from those pilots after their first attempt at landing a Cub in a crosswind.A former (retired) British Airways Concorde Captain was quoted as saying, "..if you can fly a Cub you can fly the Concorde, but the reverse is not necessarily true!"Bear!

Thanks Bear. So in your opinion, based on real-world experience, the FS2004 taildragger dynamics are pretty accurate?

Indeed I have, by golly so far I've made of bunch of those in FS2004 already with the cub :) Assuming I even survive the landing, everything seems to be spinning around :(

Guest Lizardo

They are very accurate in fact. (ex c-47/aeronca here). Great lessons on DC3 are at www.douglasdc3.com Haha, that tail-wheel lock isn't there to prevent people from stealing it :-)

Welcome to the wonderful world of tail draggers! I flew a couple of hours in the right seat of a 1949 Luscombe (or was it earlier??? I don't remember). I was even given control a couple of times, but never on the ground. Having trained in a "trike" configuration M210, the worst experience of my young (at the time) flying carreer was the feeling of "pushing the nose over" at take off and the scary "nose down" attitude at landing. I vowed I would never own, fly, or otherwise subject myself to that mental torture/anxiety again.

Dave,Yes, I would have to say that all the COF taildraggers are pretty good in my estimation.Bear!

Guest DonaldS

I learned to fly on the J-3, Taylorcraft BC12-D, and The Cessna 120.The J-3 in FS2004; in my estimation, does not mimic the real world J3. I am still landing fine in them, then the plane suddenly flips over on the left side.And that's not because of a cross wind catch the right wing and lifting it up and over either.I have the DC-3 down fine now, take off and landings, but the little yellow J-3 is still eluding me.Regards,Don S

Exactly my experience! I land the cub ok, keep it on the runway cernterline, then as soon it slows down it flips over to one side. It's a flight dynamics glitch.

I have put in several hours now on the Cub and what you describe has never happened to me. There is certainly no flight dynamics glitch. But you do have to make sure that you are going real slow before attempting any turns or deviations otherwise ....David