GTX 260/275/285/470/480 or the only options. Don't bother with any of the ATi cards unless you don't care about reduced image quality and decreased performance w/autogen and clouds.

I have run the rig in my sig as is, and with a 8800gt(very close to your 9800). Things are better with the 260, but not earthshattering. You might consider going for the most gpu you can afford if you want to see a difference. That way when you more up to an i7 cpu (you know you want too), you'll already have a nice gpu. I have to make my system last a few mor years.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

I have run the rig in my sig as is, and with a 8800gt(very close to your 9800). Things are better with the 260, but not earthshattering. You might consider going for the most gpu you can afford if you want to see a difference. That way when you more up to an i7 cpu (you know you want too), you'll already have a nice gpu. I have to make my system last a few mor years.Bob
I have a EVGA 780i MB. Is the i7 that much better? I would need a new mother board for that chip?

I have a EVGA 780i MB. Is the i7 that much better? I would need a new mother board for that chip?
The i7 series at 4.0Ghz+ is the best processor for FSX so far. It runs best with a 1366/X58 motherboard, which allows/requires DDR3 memory (1600Mhz or higher recommende).