Sign in to follow this  
edetroit

Be honest! Have you mixed FS2002 stuff with FS2004?

There does seem to me to be a fair mix of people saying that FS2004 is great while others say it is crap! Obviously, there probably are issues with various hardwares and driver mixes. But it appears to me that maybe something else is going on!So one thing I am wondering is this? How many people are giving FS2004 a good run by itself -- in default condition?. How many people have installed it and immediately added all kinds of addons? FS2002 a/c, Landlass addons, meshes. etc.Could it be that the problems that people are experiencing is caused by this desire to regard FS2004 as just another extension of FS2002?I don't know myself!!So - let us hear from people who are experiencing good results and also those with problems -- are you running FS2004 solely by itself with no addons/ mods at all?Barry

Hi Barry, I fly mainly in Europe so....youre bound to need addons LOLif you fly in Africa you need even more!....I sure you know where I'm coming from ..LOLI though Charles de Gaulle looked good ..untill I had a closer look!All Airports have to be replaced in my book.regardsEdhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25309.jpg

Yes -- I know where you are coming from. The mesh for Australia in FS2002 was about as low as you can go -- it is a very flat country anway , so we need all the detailed mesh we can.But - this still didn't discuss my thoughts that "maybe" mixing FS2002 into Fs2004 is causing problems for people. I knbow that MS said that it is possible --but!Barry

I've added various scenery mesh files with very good results.Los Angeles 30m mesh, B.C. mesh.. no problems and it looks great.Also, various FS2002 aircraft (RealAir Marchetti, Dreamfleet Archer, Flight1 Golden Eagle) fly just fine.. I suspect that problems start when all the new features (water effects, weather effects, etc) are enabled, the computing load becomes too high for some systems and the framerates drop to unacceptable levels..Just try turning water effects to low and all weather to off and the sim flies just like FS2002..

Bert

I think you might have a point. I like the default, it is just detailed enough to keep me happy with the visuals and good performance. I know most of the scenery add ons I added to FS202, just ruined the performance. So far I hae added only a handfull of aircraft and only some VA scenery I did plus my other sceneries to see how they work. I sure am missing my payware addons though. Speaking of that, hey Bert, how'd you get the 421 in FS9??? Care to share?!Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

The only problems I have with FS are those caused by ATI driver bugs (unreadable kneeboard, flickering black screen while loading and when pressing Alt to open the menu etc.). I'm running FS2004 "stock" with only one or to landclass updates and a couple of my favorite planes from FS2002.FS2004 runs smoother than FS2002 for me. I have all sliders maxed out except for the object range slider which is at, I belive 90 miles, and the mipmap quality slider is at 4, which IMO looks better than 8.FS2004 is NOT an extension of FS2002, no more than FS2002 was an extension to FS2000, or XP was an extension of Win2000.It's a completely new game with major changes in the code and it's the result of two years of development.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Apart from testing my own aircraft repaints, I am running a virgin sim and at the moment it may stay that way. My frame rates are so poor that I fear if I clutter it up with add-ons, it may grind to a halt ... as someone else said "Hit any key to move to next frame". I'm running a dinosaur, but FS2002 runs fairly fluidly with every add-on in the book. I'm SO disappointed with the FPS issue in FS2004 that I may just leave it be and take two years off downloading! FS2006 will be the next threshold, perhaps ...Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Michael, I copied the aircraft files and the gauge files from the FS2002 folders to the correponding FS9 folders and edited the panel.cfg to point to the new GPS.. It helped that I am using the RealityXP Jetline 2 gauges which include a radio stack.. otherwise you can no longer tune the radios.. but the airplane flies great!

Bert