Sign in to follow this  
Guest lawyerpilot

A MAJOR INCREASE IN FRAMERATES...READ HERE>>>>

Guest lawyerpilot

I was going to keep it a secret, but I will let it out....it's killing me.....:) Anyway, this is under Win XP and I think Win 98 as well, I don't know if other's have this as well. Go to "My computer" icon, right click and go to properties, click on advanced tab. Then under performance section...click on settings. Then go to advanced tab again. Under memory usage section, click on system cache instead of processor. And make sure that virtual memory is "system managed" without a certain value being entered by you. Anyway, b/c all of the scenery and textures are loaded and then stored in cache, the computer needs to make the access to this information as fast as possible. The processor option will make your desktop work faster and applications load faster, but, who cares about that stuff when you are inside the sim. You want faster refresh rates on scenery (lower cause the blurries), higher fps, and generally faster gauge movement. While the processor definately helps the gauges, I have found that my fps with all sliders maxed jumped from about 10-15 to 19-23 (where I have them locked), which produces very smooth performance. BTW, also, turn off anti-aliasing in the sim, and turn it on in the card control panel. My images are smooth and crisp, but I don't lose 10-15 fps. It really does work and look good. Got 25 fps in texture intense Seattle in PMDG Boeing--Virtual Cockpit, with real weather, thunderstorms, at night, and day, with sliders set to max, except water detail and effects low....who needs those high. Most places don't have a lot of water anyway, if you are inland.Anyway, I am pleased overall. Wish the weather didn't have as much impact, but over the 1-2 years we have the sim, our computers will mature too.P4 2.81024 DDRAM800 Bus36 gig SATA hardrive80 gig harddriveATI Radeon 9700 ProCH yoke/pedalsElite Multi quadrant19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPInstrument rated ASEL -270 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Guest Bigshot

"Then go to advanced tab again. Under memory usage section, click on system cache instead of processor".NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO; do not do this. Bad, bad, bad. Unless you like to format and reinstall Windows XP.

Guest lawyerpilot

>"Then go to advanced tab again. Under memory usage section,I haven't had to reformat....or reinstall. It only asks me to restart the system...Very benign... It is simply telling the computer to give priority to one or another. >click on system cache instead of processor".>>NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO; do not do this. Bad, bad, bad. Unless you>like to format and reinstall Windows XP.P4 2.81024 DDRAM800 Bus36 gig SATA hardrive80 gig harddriveATI Radeon 9700 ProCH yoke/pedalsElite Multi quadrant19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPInstrument rated ASEL -270 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

<<>Love it. I went on a train once where in my compartment there was a man tearing off strips of lavatory paper and throwing them out of the window. I said "What are you doing that for?" He said "To keep the elephants away". I looked at him closely and then gently said "But there aren't any elephants around here". He replied "Quite. It works well, doesn't it?"Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest lawyerpilot

Good call Mark! There isn't anyone that can't laugh at themselves as much as I can...... Anyway, I was referring to the fact that lakes inland don't comprise much of the landscape, except the Chicago area I suppose.><<inland.>>>>Love it. >>I went on a train once where in my compartment there was a man>tearing off strips of lavatory paper and throwing them out of>the window. I said "What are you doing that for?" He said>"To keep the elephants away". I looked at him closely and>then gently said "But there aren't any elephants around here".> He replied "Quite. It works well, doesn't it?">>Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumont>>http://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpgP4 2.81024 DDRAM800 Bus36 gig SATA hardrive80 gig harddriveATI Radeon 9700 ProCH yoke/pedalsElite Multi quadrant19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPInstrument rated ASEL -270 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Nice suggestion..thanks. But kinda funky response re: "no,No,NO,NO,NO,..." Is everyone in the forums drunk today?? :) if so where did I miss the invite? but really will this help?:-erks

Guest lawyerpilot

I have noticed the same thing..There must be a full moon out somewhere. A lot of strange responses....It has worked for me, in 2k2 a lot too! Anyway, still running both sims b/c I love em!If there is truly a bad side effect will someone tell us?I have had no problems whatsoeverP4 2.81024 DDRAM800 Bus36 gig SATA hardrive80 gig harddriveATI Radeon 9700 ProCH yoke/pedalsElite Multi quadrant19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPInstrument rated ASEL -270 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Just a caution to those out there with WinXP that want to try this. Saw post similar to this several weeks ago and made the change as described. After the reboot, I encountered many errors regarding inability to locate files, etc and never made it back to the desktop. Tried for about three hours to restore my configuration, but ended up having to reformat and reinstall XP. Big pain! I will admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to manipulating an OS and there may be something here that I overlooked when making the change from Programs to System Cache. If there is, please advise so I can make the change properly.By the way, and if this helps in discovering the problem, I have forced my swap file to a separate partion on my machine and don't allow the OS to manage memory. Could this be the setting that caused me the problem after I changed from Programs to System Cache?Doug3.06Ghz P4 533FSB512 MB RAMBUS RAMSony CPD-G410R 19" CRTRadeon 9700 Pro (Not O/C)SB Audigy 2120 GB ATA Ultra DriveMS Sidewinder Force FB ProWinXP Pro SP1DX 9.0b

Guest lawyerpilot

I did not make that change, so perhaps that is the only problem. I let system manage cache. Although, I did not have problems when I elected to devote 4500 MB to cache. The sim would crash at one point after about 1 hour b/c I think I had filled up the virtual memory, and then it did a memory dump. But, otherwise, now, I have no problems with system managed cache.P4 2.81024 DDRAM800 Bus36 gig SATA hardrive80 gig harddriveATI Radeon 9700 ProCH yoke/pedalsElite Multi quadrant19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPInstrument rated ASEL -270 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Guest Bigshot

I was in a hurry. On my way out the door when I read that post. Don't do that if you're running XP. Let the program manage memory. It can cause major problems running XP. Files can disappear, next you'll see those yellow exclamation points start to appear. Next thing you know, windows XP will be hosed. Let windows manage itself is what I say. It can also cause problems in the FSim too. Textures disappearing, etc. Just do a search in this forum and in the flightsim forum for cache if you're unsure. PS: BTW; I loved that elephant story. I'll have to remember that.

Hi,I made the mistake of putting my foot in my mouth on the Flightsim 2004 Forum for this exact type of post and I learn't something from it.Here are links that were provided to me by MajorChaos which proves that this tweak can be damaging to your system and can result in you having to reformat your drive. http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php...&highlight=ntfshttp://www.tweakhound.com/xp/xptweaks/atiproblem.htmhttp://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php...&highlight=ntfshttp://www.members.shaw.ca/madamo/boeingsig.jpg

Guest lawyerpilot

Good post... although, the problems seemed to be on systems where people did what I said, and then selected an option other than letting the system manage cache...not selecting that even gave me a problem....but since using system managed size I have had no problems. Furthermore, using buttons that Microsoft provides, ones without warnings (like overclocking buttons will provide) are always better than going in manually and changing registry values, like a lot of these jokers did. I could be wrong, but if you do it though the window, and not try to get all fancy, you should be alright. And this is from a guy who tries to be a little on the conservative side, when it comes to tweaking..like the peformance, but hate lockups, and, knock on wood, I have not had any on the current system in 8 months since the time that I purchased it.Interested to hear more feesback.. P4 2.81024 DDRAM800 Bus36 gig SATA hardrive80 gig harddriveATI Radeon 9700 ProCH yoke/pedalsElite Multi quadrant19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPInstrument rated ASEL -270 hoursAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Guest AJ

So do I understand that thsi is ONLY a problem for systems with ATI cards/drivers then? Is it safe to try this if you have a Nvidia card and drivers?Andrew

Guest jase439

Seems to me that the problem is restricted to ATI owners and that the ATI drivers are to blame.You know, the only thing that keeps me from buying ATI is their s***-for-brains drivers. I've heard nothing but good good good about their hardware and everything bad bad bad about their driver support. Not that nVidia is anything to write home about, but at least you get new drivers trickled out to the public every couple of weeks or so.Anyway, if you own anything other than an ATI, this tweak is Sierra Hotel with me. A solid 30% boost (went from 17.5 default seattle situation to 23.0). I haven't seen solid performance gains like that since upgrading hardware.

>I have noticed the same thing..There must be a full moon out>somewhere. A lot of strange responses....It has worked for>me, in 2k2 a lot too! Anyway, still running both sims b/c I>love em!>>If there is truly a bad side effect will someone tell us?>>I have had no problems whatsoeverI noticed a HUGE frame rate increase on my system, and was delighted...until I noticed that my a/c, as well as all of the AI a/c were totally naked! :(Also, some of the textures in the VC weren't loaded...Switching it back the way it was restored all the graphics to normal.Apparently, FS9 wasn't reading all of the textures into the cache, and didn't know that it had to go "fetch 'em" dynamically.P4 2.6 GHz, 512MB, 500 MHz FSB, FX5200 Ultra, 45.20 drivers.BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg