Sign in to follow this  
Guest lawyerpilot

A MAJOR INCREASE IN FRAMERATES...READ HERE>>>>

Guest tgabriel

Doug wrote: "By the way, and if this helps in discovering the problem, I have forced my swap file to a separate partion on my machine and don't allow the OS to manage memory. Could this be the setting that caused me the problem after I changed from Programs to System Cache?"If you are going to move your page file away from its default location it should only be to a different physical disk, not to a partition on the same disk. There is no advantage gained by moving it if it is still on the same physical disk and several things can happen at the HAL if it is done this way. Your experience is one of them. Please, if you move your page file, move it to the first partition of a second physical disk and only if the second disk is the same rotational and read speed as the original. Also, the second disk used this way has to be configured as the master on controller 1 since your main disk is the master on controller 0.

Guest Andy_YXU

I tried this once I am glad it worked for you on my system though my video drivers wouldn't load whole lot of mess and exclamation marks in Hardware Manager, I got this hint once in an e-mail from some Computer Pilot magazine and had no luck with it... :-(Glad it worked for you thoughI found a great improvement by updating drivers for my video guess I leave it at that :-)Andy

Guest jase439

I think I'm going to officially recant my endorsement of this tweak. The performance improvement is definitely there, but I started experiencing some oddities in flight sim after running for a while. Loss of sound (certain wav files would stop playing), texture drop out - gauges not rendering. It happened on more than one occassion which is plenty of proof to me that something is amiss. It's not immediately clear to me why this setting would affect video and sound this way, but there were enough warning signs present here for me to turn around and walk the other way.So here's your chance to say "I toldja so" :)

Guest UweR

Hi, reading through the post I found a commonality amongst those for which the setting doesn

Guest UweR

Hi, did the problem reappear, or has it been solved by the reinstall?I received the same error message on a machine at work. Turned out, after replacements of different components, to be a dieing CPU/mainboard that never ran stable afterwards again. I had to bin it.

Guest Gordius

>Please, if you move your page file, move it to the first>partition of a second physical disk and only if the second>disk is the same rotational and read speed as the original.>Also, the second disk used this way has to be configured as>the master on controller 1 since your main disk is the master>on controller 0.>I think you will find moving the page file to another can help as long is the page file is all that you use that partition for. Relocating that file in that way will mean that it will not have to cope with the defragmentation on the main partition. I would however add that the "page/swop file" partition would need to have plenty of room for the file to change in size (I have read that 2.5 times amount of RAM is a good size). Defragmentation could be further avoided by using that second partition but manually setting the size of it but be very careful how you size it, too small and you would wish you had never started.

Guest Glenn

Uwe, and others,I bit on this one, and I've got a gig of RAM. I just finished most of my reinstalls after the required reformat today, after 24 hours of uninterrupted work and a fair chunk of change to get a tech to run a diagnostics for me. Do the "tweak" if you want, but you are DEFINITELY rolling the dice if you do. Good luck. I know I'll do a LOT more research in the future before applying any tweak like that again.Glenn

If you start a thread on the subject then clearly you had your head in the sand for the last 2 years. The FS2004 tweak guide (on the MSFS hardware forum) talks about it. There are numerous posts on the subject on internet. People warn that everything may be fine for a few days but then a hell will break loose. Michael J.

I'll give it a try. I have 1Gig RAM and 2.8GHz CPU with ATI/latest drivers. I don't have problem re-installing. I use RIS images that have the basic sim with all the proper settings and many apps ready to go. It sits on a server and take about 45min to reload the desktop. I do this regularly anytime I have major sim issues anyway. I'll report back soon.Cheers!

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I did this a long time ago in response to a thread just like this one. Seemed to work all right for a time, then I started having all sorts of problems with the textures on planes not loading after a few minutes of flying. I'd end up with silver planes. Changed the setting back to what it had been and the texture problems went away.

Guest daveg4otu

First let me say - I haven't tried this - nor do I intend to.What I do want to say is this - that after just about a year of FS9 - during which every conceivable form of tweak/adjustment/texture substitution seems to have been tried - and often offered a "last word/best tweak ever"- THERE AIN'T NO MAGIC BULLET-sorry for shouting but I think by now it's fairly obvious to most people. FS9's performance will depend principally on two things - how good your system is and how greedy you are regarding the settings within FS.This is not to say that there aren't gains to be made by tweaking - but they are comparatively minor gains - an increase in fps of a few frames, perhaps some minimization of stutters- that sort of thing, but, swings and roundabouts (carousels if you're in the US) - what you gain on one you will inevitably lose on the other.I've been reading the posts about "marvellous new Tweak" etc on here for all of the past year- I've tried a good few of them -and in the end I've found the best overall performance is to be had by running in a pretty much " tweakless" state( Aside that is from not letting FS decide about AA and a few basic substitute textures,etc).Fact is - you get nothing for nothing and tweaks such as the one above nearly always seem to have a downside somewhere on down the line - may not be obvious straight away - but sooner or later you get payback time.Just my opinionDave

Good post, Dave, and I agree completely. These issues keep coming up and, if there are any gains, they sure seem marginal on my system. There is one exception that is certainly true with ATI cards: turning OFF anti-aliasing in the Simulator and turning it ON in the card settings on the desktop does give a significant boost in FPS and overall performance. The only other "tweak" that I've found useful is to turn Fastwrites ( SmartGart in ATI-speak) OFF; having it on creates system instablity on my setup at no measurable gain in performance.Oh, the other good tip that I've found is to turn the FPS counter OFF also and if the sim seems smooth then don't worry about it and quit while you're ahead.Ed GreenKCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/DEV.jpghttp://www.globecargo.org/images/VAA_Sen_captain.jpg:-beerchug

"If you start a thread on the subject then clearly you had your head in the sand for the last 2 years"LOLnote the date of the starting post in this thread...it celebrated its first birthday last week! :-hah Best,Martijn

Guest Tim W

>>I'll give it a try. I have 1Gig RAM and 2.8GHz CPU with>ATI/latest drivers. I don't have problem re-installing. I use>RIS images that have the basic sim with all the proper>settings and many apps ready to go. It sits on a server and>take about 45min to reload the desktop. I do this regularly>anytime I have major sim issues anyway. I'll report back>soon.>>Cheers!Ken Jackson, Private PilotSan Antonio, Texas (KSAT)>>Well it's been over 2 hours since Ken tried this and nothing heard, so I'd hazard a guess that he toasted his system and is is busy re-installing right now!If it aint broke...(you know the rest)!Tim http://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Guest Dean

>"If you start a thread on the subject then clearly you had>your head in the sand for the last 2 years">>LOL>>note the date of the starting post in this thread...it>celebrated its first birthday last week! :-hah This is too good! People are posting that they've already tried this tweak when a post similiar to the OP appeared once before.:-lol