Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Can't connect to multiplayer

Guest Shayt

Hi,I have a question here to the network gurus:I have DI614+ router and I was told that I need to open and forward the following ports in order to be able to connect myself to multiplayer sessions in MSFS:2300 to 2400, UDP and TCP47624, TCPThe problem is that though I followed step by step the instructions from the 614 utility help and from D-Link support site, I still cant hooked my self to the session IP.I used the "Virtual Server" to open the 47624 port and the "Firewall" rules to open the 2300-2400 range. When that didn

Can't help with the specifics Shay but a couple of general things to check.If you are running WinXP and your router acts as a firewall as well make sure the XP firewall is turned off.To make sure the session you are trying to connect to is available open a command prompt and type ping and then the IP address of that session. You should get back a number of lines showing the time taken to reach that IP address. If you get 'timed out' then you are not connecting to that IP address so the problem is something more than just ports.I am sure someone will leap in with better help for your router.Good luck.

Guest Shayt

I tried to ping the IP address of the MP session but failed. I thought it's because of the port issue. Am I wrong? Thanks,Shay

Shayt -The ports you mention are valid for FS2002 not FS2004. You didn't state which sim you were flying. FOr fs2004 you have to open 2504.If you are flying 2002 then check software firewalls, ZoneAlarm, etc.hth,vgb

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

>I tried to ping the IP address of the MP session but failed.>I thought it's because of the port issue. Am I wrong? >>Thanks,>ShayIf you can't ping the address Shay it's either it may be because the other person has a firewall working in 'stealth' mode. This blocks a lot of ports including one which responds to pings. Not sure of the port number but maybe Vic knows or if Matt jumps in on the thread.You don't say if this MP session is one of your friends or another on-line session.For testing I would suggest you try joining an MP session that you know is active, there are a number Internet sites that publish MP sessions and show their status. If you can join one of those then you know your setup is OK.One other point, AFAIK you cannot join an MP session if you are not running the same version of Flight Sim, so if the other guy is running FS2002 and you are running FS2004 you will not be able to join.This is a link to one flight board I do know ofhttp://www.flightboards.4gigs.com/I am sure there are others.Your problem may be ports as Vic has pointed out FS2004 needs different ports open to those for FS2002.You may also need MS DirectPlay helper running.I have just moved over to WinXP and could not connect to Vatsim. After much trail and error I found that Zone Alarm (my s/ware firewall) was not allowing DirectPlay Helper to run.If you think that may be a problem the path to that program isC:windowssystem32dplaysvr.exeGood luck.

I have a similar problem (have actually not even checked if I now solved it or now, but that's another story...), but I dunno from where you got those ports from. At least FS9 uses 23456 by default and any port can be selected so...I just wonder what port FSHost uses.

Guest Shayt

Vulcan,I'm running FS2002 and I was trying to connect and ping to two on-line MP servers: Bush Net and DC3Airways. To the best of my Knowledge they are 24/7 active.Anyway, I tried also to ping to the site you mentioned - flightboards.4gigs.com and it work! Very confusing!What is the MS Direct Player? I tried to run it but nothing happened. How can I find the Zone Alarm that you mentioned?Sorry for my ignorant. (I'm running XP pro)Thanks,Shay

OK Shay, if you can ping the flightboards site I suggest sticking with at least until you know you can connect to one of their MP sessions. One other thought, both the other MP servers sound familiar, maybe someone from them may leap in with specific help.IIRC flightboards lists MP sessions and whether they are active or not, look for an active session and try to join that session, you don't need to stay in the session if you don't want, just make sure you can join OK.Zone Alarm can be found at www.zonelabs.com and is freeware.Once installed whenever a program tries to access the Internet Zone Alarm will ask you if you want to allow that program to have access, you can either say 'yes' to allow a one-off access or say 'yes' and 'remember my answer' so that the program is allowed access without asking.When you start FS you will be asked if you want to let FS access the Internet and also that DirectPlay Helper program will also ask permission to acess the Internet, allow them both access and remember your answer.ZA will automatically open the correct ports for the programs. One thing I am not sure of is if you also have to configure the ports on your router as I don't use one.If you decide to use ZA make sure you turn off the WinXP Pro firewall and any firewll function there may be on your router, if you have more than one firewall running you will have problems.If it is possible plug your PC that runs FS directly into your cable modem (check if you need a straight through patch lead or a cross-over one). Run ZA, disable the XP firewall and see if you can join a MP session, if you can you know that your set-up is OK. You can plug the router back in and try again, if it now fails to joins a MP session you know it is something to do with your port set-up.HTH and sorry for any spelling errors that may have crept in :-)

Guest Shayt

Vulcan,Thanks for the help. I can see that I'm going to have a busy weekend trying to tweak my system.BTW, I saw your site with the screenshots, VERY nice.Regards,Shay

>Vulcan,>Thanks for the help. I can see that I'm going to have a busy>weekend trying to tweak my system.>BTW, I saw your site with the screenshots, VERY nice.>>Regards,>Shay>Thanks for the comments on my screen shots :-)I was hoping to upload some FS9 screen shots last night but ran out of time, maybe later this week.Hope you get your MP sorted.