Hi everyone, I currently have the following system: Pentium D 2.8GHz, 2Gb ram, BFG 9600GT, WinXP 32 and was looking at building an i7 860, 4Gb DDR3 1600MHz ram, BFG GTX260 (on Gigabyte P55M motherboard, Win7 32). I was wondering what kind of performance to expect with such a system in FS9. Right now I can run FS9 with all settings (including traffic) maxed and get around 15-20fps but this drops to single digits with add-on planes (PMDG etc.) or scenery.Thanks,Al

FS9 FPS are irrelevant on a modern system, you can run every add-on out there with all settings turned up to the max. and never experience FPS low enough to make you wonder what the FPS is.

I second what TechguyMaxC said. My last system was a Low-end machine with a Pentium D 2.8 with no overclock facility. With scenery sliders at medium-high I got about 25 fps in FS9 at stock airports with complex payware hevies, but only with the traffic slider set to low. At add-on airports I would be lucky to get much above 10 fps. It sometimes looked more like a slide show. Clouds were an fps killer too.With my i7 system I can run FS9 with all sliders maxed out, flying any payware heavy at any payware airport in any weather and never drop below 70 fps.I have only two settings below maximum. Framrates locked at 50 to avoid the sound stutters that occured when they exceeded 200, and reduced AI so that I can actually take off and land.Go ahead and upgrade - it will be a revelation.

Regards,

PD

Sounds great. Did you happen to try FS before and after overclocking and compare the difference? I'm not planning on overclocking but I've heard people say it doubled frame-rates, although a test on anandtech showed a more believable 10fps increase. With regards to your traffic problem, have you tried AISmooth? By the way your sig says i7 730 but I'm guessing you meant 930?

My system was pre-overclocked by the company that built it. I know how to set it back to stock speeds but so far I have not done that comparison. My guess, though, is that for FS9 it would probably not make as much difference as it might for FSX (which was another slideshow on my old rig, now running smoothly).AI Smooth - I have used it before on the old rig but forgot about it. I'll see what happens, but I think it will help more with landings than takeoff queues. I have the paid version of FSUIPC which has a traffic zapper, but its not "as real as it gets."As for the i7, yes that was a typo, now corrected. I think I also lost an "a" somewhere in "hevies!"

Regards,

PD