Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

FSX on Win7_x64 with HighMem Fix

I would just like to report that rebuilding my FS-rig with Win7 Ultimate x64 (RTM) and applying Bojote's "HighMemFix=1" tweak (only) has given me a much more stable platform than my first Win7 experience late last fall. In the past two weeks, with some 30 hours of flying (including two transAtlantic long-hauls), I have not had one CTD, disappearing or corrupted texture. Even the Alt-Enter swap between FSX Window and full-screen mode has been flawless.I applied Nick's updated Win7 guidlines during integration using the link found at the top of his FSX tweaking thread with very positive results to date. This has been tested using ImagineSim and FSDT sceneries (including KJFK) and high-end big-rigs including the LVL-D 763, the PMDG MD-11, and the PMDG 748i.I am now of the opinion, that after applying this single "HighMem" fix, the Win7_x64 enviroment is more stable and maybe just a bit better performing than my previous FSXsp2 installation running on WinXP_x64, both in DirectX-9 mode, and the latest 197.45 Nvidia drivers.It really does seem to be running well now, without all of Bojote's other suggestions. Not that I have anything against them, I just have had no time to properly tweek and test the mirade of possibilities.Thanks to Bojote and Nick :(

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I would just like to report that rebuilding my FS-rig with Win7 Ultimate x64 (RTM) and applying Bojote's "HighMemFix=1" tweak (only) has given me a much more stable platform than my first Win7 experience late last fall. In the past two weeks, with some 30 hours of flying (including two transAtlantic long-hauls), I have not had one CTD, disappearing or corrupted texture. Even the Alt-Enter swap between FSX Window and full-screen mode has been flawless.I applied Nick's updated Win7 guidlines during integration using the link found at the top of his FSX tweaking thread with very positive results to date. This has been tested using ImagineSim and FSDT sceneries (including KJFK) and high-end big-rigs including the LVL-D 763, the PMDG MD-11, and the PMDG 748i.I am now of the opinion, that after applying this single "HighMem" fix, the Win7_x64 enviroment is more stable and maybe just a bit better performing than my previous FSXsp2 installation running on WinXP_x64, both in DirectX-9 mode, and the latest 197.45 Nvidia drivers.It really does seem to be running well now, without all of Bojote's other suggestions. Not that I have anything against them, I just have had no time to properly tweek and test the mirade of possibilities.Thanks to Bojote and Nick :(
I am running almost the same rig as you and,like you,have FSX running better than it has ever been....HighMemFix=1 really helped me...Thanks,*******!!

Guest hmstiger
I am running almost the same rig as you and,like you,have FSX running better than it has ever been....HighMemFix=1 really helped me...Thanks,*******!!
Where do you put it inthe .cfg file?

From the sticky post at the top of this forum:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=281538[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1 Fixes errors with texture addressing modes in WDDM1.0 and 1.1 when using a lot of video memoryThe HIGHMEMFIX=1 you see above, fixes a bug in the FSX engine on how it handles texture addressing modes (Wrap,Clamp) and initial render states on single pass shaders, it will completely prevent textures, buildings and entire cockpits from dissapearing! this 'bug' is triggered when there is a high video memory usage situation. so, enjoy :) this is my way of giving to a community that has given me so much over the years.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

I see no difference. What specific win7 tweaks guidlines are you talking about?Anyway I followed nicks installation guide (stsart/boot FSX everytime etc) and i'm still getting ntdll errors upon exit..and just had my first g2d.dll error.Now that I've stopped using wilco 737 things are much better though

Guest Johnny82

I agree. The HIGHMEMFIX is the best tweak I have ever tried with FSX. I was getting on avg of 25 fps with medium settings and now with medium to high settings whilst using the HIGHMEMFIX I am getting 30 - 40 fps. Amazing stuff. The other major thing I have seen that helps fps in FSX is using an external fps limiter.With those two tweaks alone, you can change your flight sim experience to that of what it should have been when it was released.

I agree. The HIGHMEMFIX is the best tweak I have ever tried with FSX. I was getting on avg of 25 fps with medium settings and now with medium to high settings whilst using the HIGHMEMFIX I am getting 30 - 40 fps. Amazing stuff.
Amazing indeed. is the first time I've heard that Highmemfix is a performance tweak... It's supposed to be a 'anti-lockup-tweak'... Do you really mean to say that when you remove the entry from the cfg your fps drops that much...?

Amazing indeed. is the first time I've heard that Highmemfix is a performance tweak... It's supposed to be a 'anti-lockup-tweak'... Do you really mean to say that when you remove the entry from the cfg your fps drops that much...?
I don't think HIGHMEMFIX improves performance AT ALL... nothing, nada... its simply a FIX! (not a performance tweak) it simply enables the LARGEADDRESSAWARE for the DX9 D3DEffects system which (for implementation reasons) was NOT enabled by default when FSX shipped. It made things worse with WDDM because of how memory is managed in Vista and Win7.

Guest Johnny82

The only other tweak I used was the jobsheduler one. So unless it's that which has given me so much extra performance because after all, I actually dropped my overclocked qx6700 from 3.2Ghz down to 2.97Ghz!!

Hmmm that's quite interesting. I'm having problems with black screen and sometimes errors when walking arround options in "ALT" menu. I just wrote it in FSX.cfg and I put this uiautomationcore.dll from win Vista into FSX root and I changed FSX compatibility to Vista SP2. I hope it helps. If it helps, I will write about it.

Is it HIGHMEM or MIMEM fix. This reading the PMDG737 intro stating to insert HIMEM and not HIGHMEMFIX......
Like this.[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1 It was a typo in PMDG's documentation.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm having dificulty finding the correct place to insert HIGHMEMFIX=1. How,EXACTLY, do I do this? ThanksPete

Pete Locascio

Hmmm that's quite interesting. I'm having problems with black screen and sometimes errors when walking arround options in "ALT" menu. I just wrote it in FSX.cfg and I put this uiautomationcore.dll from win Vista into FSX root and I changed FSX compatibility to Vista SP2. I hope it helps. If it helps, I will write about it.
Lots of guys out there have errors and lock-up's whatsoever. I must definitely be a lucky one. Haven't had a single problem with FSX since I reinstalled 1 week ago. Never needed the uiautomationcore.dll tweak. Only ENB gave me some black screens but I don't need it either.

As you can see I have a low end system. I've used both gentlemen's fixes/guides with great results. The only crash I get when using FSX is a system lock (graphics freeze & sound goes distorted like an old radio out to tune), and I believe that's my video card overheating (not O/C'd).