Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Many Thanks to all who have helpled move FSX so far

I should be in bed right now getting sleep, but I must say one more time a big thank you to all who contribute to better simming and to enhancing performance. My experience keeps getting better and better, and I am haven't bought a new piece of hardware for well over a year now. A year ago I could say, under most conditions including very heavy scenery density and weather, I was getting maybe 92% of perfect performance, ie had adequate frames rates, minimal stutters, good IQ. Then came along the past 2 month's worth of 'tweaks':Prior to the recent changes:FSLimiter.exenHancer 8xSAdded in the past 2 months:Changed processor priority to HIGHUsePools=0In game AA and AF and nHancer 8xSHIGHMEMFIX=1SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=9872430AffinityMask=14These changes have moved FSX now to 98-100%%, truly, everywhere, and with decent payware AC. Flying into Seattle at dawn in weather can bring down raw frames to the low 20's, but its still super smooth.And the payware scenery and aircraft: really nice stuff. Amazing stuff, really!Anyway, many thanks again,Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

:( Always nice to see a happy camper!:--))

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I Concur!!! ******* and his many tweaks have taken my simming from a enjoyable time to a whole new level of entertainment!!With a stutter free and FPS friendly system I'm now getting a true sense of SPEED that I was never attaining in FSX before!

I'll add my thanks to the list.I suspect that tweaks are only part of the improvement - they work best, I am sure, with new hardware - it's taken a few years to see h/w that will run FSX nicely at high detail, but to be fair ACES always said they hadn't built a "now" sim back in late '06. I wonder what we'll see in another 18/24 months time. Looking forward to it.I recommend a look at the Orbx forums, where there's an interesting demo from their top guy, who deletes Fsx.cfg and then flies a detailed airport with a "virgin" cfg, zero tweaks, at 40 - 60 fps with no stutter, in PNW. He concludes that with the right hardware, FSX can run tweak-free. Of course, his video card currently would run me about

Paul Skol

I recommend a look at the Orbx forums, where there's an interesting demo from their top guy, who deletes Fsx.cfg and then flies a detailed airport with a "virgin" cfg, zero tweaks, at 40 - 60 fps with no stutter, in PNW. He concludes that with the right hardware, FSX can run tweak-free. Of course, his video card currently would run me about

I have said elsewhere on these forums that I've had amazing results by using your tweaks, ******* - so nothing I said was "anti tweak" - I love them!I just think that as hardware improves, we see great leaps forward with FSX "standard" - and that has to be great, for all those (probably a great majority) people who just want to run a game out of the box, with no tweaks. It'll be great if a newbie installs FSX, sticks all sliders right, and gets 40fps with a PMDG 747 at FSD's JFK - without tweaks! Mind you, not many newbies would have all that gear... :)

Paul Skol

I've tried different tweaks but I keep going back to my "old" nickn settings. They just seem to work best with my hardware/software/payware setup. It is good to see others benefiting though! :(

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I can run PNW with no tweaks and it will run perfectly fine too... i don't think it is fair to compare PNW with a top Payware Plane + VERY DETAILED Airports (such as FSDT kennedy/Chicago) plus Heavy Weather AND something like Aerosoft Chicago/New York cities into the mix, now create a video of that with no tweaks, even with the same hardware, you expect the results to be same? they CAN'T! because the conditions are completely different.I respect each and everyone's opinion on FSX 'tweaks' however, 'tweaking' FSX is no diffent from tweaking any other software. I usually need to configure MySQL databases, Apache Web Servers or even streaming servers and tweak them accordingly to match the available hardware capabilities, using a 'default' config file is COMPLETELY out of the question if you want to make the most out of your hardware and serve millions of concurrent users, some times you even RECOMPILE the software with architecture specific flags.. why is this any different with FSX? it is not... I don't know who this 'top guy' is or his background, but his opinion is as valid as mine, and I respect it thats what makes our hobby so wonderful ;) anyone is free to try what they think is best for their particular setup and if they have success with it and are happy with the results, then thats great!!
Nothing fair or unfair about it - a comment - nothing more. Other than feeling the need to justify tweaking, your point is?

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have said elsewhere on these forums that I've had amazing results by using your tweaks, ******* - so nothing I said was "anti tweak" - I love them!
No worries, in fact the comment was not pro or anti tweaking, just a comment, nothing more, nothing less.... ;) some guys (obvioiusly you are not one of them) get all defensive and confrontational when discussing this topic, they are always looking to pick a fight, like little kids :)

Two things that I have picked up in various forums recently that have improved my FSX experience are:1. Changed the FSX.cfg file to more accurately display ASE weather per a post in the Hi-Fi forum (not a recommendation by Hi-Fi). All I know about it is that it worked for me.MinVarTime=80MaxVarTime=802. Downloaded and installed Edit VoicePak to speed up ATC messages.

Art

I should be in bed right now getting sleep, but I must say one more time a big thank you to all who contribute to better simming and to enhancing performance. My experience keeps getting better and better, and I am haven't bought a new piece of hardware for well over a year now. A year ago I could say, under most conditions including very heavy scenery density and weather, I was getting maybe 92% of perfect performance, ie had adequate frames rates, minimal stutters, good IQ. Then came along the past 2 month's worth of 'tweaks':Prior to the recent changes:FSLimiter.exenHancer 8xSAdded in the past 2 months:Changed processor priority to HIGHUsePools=0In game AA and AF and nHancer 8xSHIGHMEMFIX=1SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=9872430AffinityMask=14These changes have moved FSX now to 98-100%%, truly, everywhere, and with decent payware AC. Flying into Seattle at dawn in weather can bring down raw frames to the low 20's, but its still super smooth.And the payware scenery and aircraft: really nice stuff. Amazing stuff, really!Anyway, many thanks again,Noel
LOL! I don't know how many times I felt that I had mastered FSX and it came back to bite me in the a$$!Anyway have fun and I'm sure that we are making progress toward a new standard configuration.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Two things that I have picked up in various forums recently that have improved my FSX experience are:1. Changed the FSX.cfg file to more accurately display ASE weather per a post in the Hi-Fi forum (not a recommendation by Hi-Fi). All I know about it is that it worked for me.MinVarTime=80MaxVarTime=802. Downloaded and installed Edit VoicePak to speed up ATC messages.
Hmm.. interesting, I think they go in [Weather] correct? its probably linked to the dynamic rate of change.. making MIN and MAX the same I guess allows for consistent weather changes, but not sure, I'll give it a test some time tomorrow! thanks Art!

Well I would not call myself the 'top guy' LOL! I just run the company. The true top guys are the amazing developers on our team who create such cool stuff.I am not an anti-tweaker, nor will I go out of my way to criticize anyone who likes to tweak. It's every hobbyist's prerogative and indeed, the very nature of an enthusiast to tweak. So all power to you guys that do and get good results.My position is that I always try to keep my hardware maxxed out to current-gen PC specs, whether through upgrades or new machines. I believe that a well tuned OS and the right hardware is all I need to enjoy FSX. I have on occasions tried some of the tweaks which are getting folks excited recently but they inevitiably always led to instablity and frustration. So I stopped tweaking completely about 18 months ago and now just focus on using the sliders in FSX indexed to my hardware. Now with the GTX 480 I really don't need to worry about the sliders anymore and just lock FPS to 25 FPS for cities and large airports and 40FPS for urban and rural areas, and enjoy the sim.With the i7 + GTX 480 + TrackIR 5 + EZCA + ENBSeries + nVidia 3DVision goggles it's just amazing how it all just works without tweaking, and it gives me pure enjoyment. I could not have dreamed of this level of immersion even back in 2006.I think that those who are pro-tweaking need to be a little less 'defensive' when there is a counter suggestion that a no-tweaks approach is also an alternative. If you spend too much energy on trying to justify your position about tweaking, it will just cause ill feeling and tension on various forums. Let everyone do as they please and let both schools of thought coexist in peace. Pro-rants about the merits of OS tuning and tweaks does nothing but make those posters appear to be a bit obsessive I'm afraid.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

Guest ancoloncourse

why the picture of Hugo Chavez *******?Jordan Coolins

Hmm.. interesting, I think they go in [Weather] correct? its probably linked to the dynamic rate of change.. making MIN and MAX the same I guess allows for consistent weather changes, but not sure, I'll give it a test some time tomorrow! thanks Art!

Another vote of thanks here, *******. You should get some kind of Avsim medal for these contributions - maybe a free lifetime membership!My old sim has never been so fluid, so sharp and so realistic. I reckon - this time - it's as close as it gets! Now you need to figure out how to get a crowd of John Venema's "Bob's" to walk around his fantastic FTX PNW scenery. :( :( AffinityMask=14UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=26TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40TextureMaxLoad=9SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=0FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.25UsePools=0RejectThreshold=102400ForceFullScreenVSync=1SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458479TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024HIGHMEMFIX=1 // bojoteALLOW_SHADER_30=1SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=9872431STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=1024SmallPartRejectRadius=2LOD_RADIUS=4.500000MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.