Sign in to follow this  
chickster25

Trouble with PMDG 737 take-off

Hi all,Last night I installed the freeware airport scenery for Jersey in the Channel Islands. The runway is quite short and I wondered if 737s actually fly to Jersey?Also, I did a test using the 737 Experience plane and it was able to take off easily. Then I used the PDMG 737 and it could not take off with the short runway.I would expect the PMDG to be more accurate but can anyone tell me if either or both are wrong in terms of take-off distance and how I would go about changing the aircraft config so take offs distances are the same for both planes?(P.S. I was using default take-off weights, I had not loaded up passengers usuing the extra PMDG utility)

Hi all,Last night I installed the freeware airport scenery for Jersey in the Channel Islands. The runway is quite short and I wondered if 737s actually fly to Jersey?Also, I did a test using the 737 Experience plane and it was able to take off easily. Then I used the PDMG 737 and it could not take off with the short runway.I would expect the PMDG to be more accurate but can anyone tell me if either or both are wrong in terms of take-off distance and how I would go about changing the aircraft config so take offs distances are the same for both planes?(P.S. I was using default take-off weights, I had not loaded up passengers usuing the extra PMDG utility)
Hi,The 737 is capable landing and taking off from EGJJ-Jersey, at least the Classics are and the 600/700 NGI'm not sure though if take off has to be done at reduced weight since the runway is 5.600ftWhat was your TOW, flaps settings and V-speeds?

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I dont have the TOW or V speeds as I was only playing last night and it was too late to investigate further, althought I had done flaps one setting (one tap of F7)Basically I selected the PMDG 737-700 from the "Select Aircraft" list in FS9 and off I went. I can try it again with minimal weights but thought I would ask the question about 737s being at Jersey before I went back to it.I do think the freeware 737 Experience does take off far too quickly so would be good to correct the flight model for that if possible as it is a lovely aircraft and easy on the FPS.

That's weird. I just tested with PMDG's 737-700. ZFW 54t which is pretty much, Fuel 5t, giving me a little below 59t TOW. Wind was 215/09, so I took the runway 27. Topcat predicted a margin of 176m with full power (91.2% N1 under these conditions) which is narrow but at least I should be able to takeoff.It worked like a charm.So either something is wrong with your settings or your technique needs to be improved. :( Do you reach Vr at all or does the thing simply refuse to takeoff at Vr?

ok, perhaps it was just me but I will have to try again.What is Topcat by the way, I dont thinks its some cool yellow cat with a bunch of funky mates? :-)

The cat is rather blue. When it comes to the desktop icon...It's a takeoff and landing performance calculator. That's particularly interesting if you don't always want to takeoff with full power but with de-rated thrust. http://www.topcatsim.com/ is the link.

Hi chickster25.Yes, 737s operate out of Jersey. I agree with Steve - technique is all. I just took the 737 Experience up out of Jersey at 55% fuel, flaps 10 degrees (four notches), a little upward elevator trim and around 92% N1, and she accelerated normally and lifted off between the single aim points and the direction points at the end of the runway, just like it should. Use the correct flap setting (one notch will barely extend the leading edge slats!) and make sure you don't just whack it up to maximum thrust (F4), which no real jet airliner pilot ever does. If you use the TOGA feature in the default panel, this will stabilise your takeoff N1 in the low 90s which is where it should be. Or accelerate manually to around 92%.Incidentally, I tried the PMDG too, and it does pretty much the same, so I don't see much to choose between the two flight models.;)

:( CAUTION: This is a controversial post. If your pron to high anxiety concerning FS related matters you don't agree with (or a PMDG CoolAide drinker) please refrain from reading the following :(I adjusted the thrust setting in my PMDG 737-700 aircraft.cfg file for a higher thrust setting (I'll give it to you if your interested) :( . I too found the PMDG 737 a bit under powered when taking off but my airport in question was KMDW (the best test bed for 737NG performance or any aircraft that flies out of there). Real Southwest 737-700's don't get all the way to the end of the runway before the wheels leave the ground and neither should the virtual one. I fly for real and have flown 737's there (KMDW) to destinations like KSAN. The 737-700 is a powerful aircraft that doesn't struggle with much especially getting to cruising altitude. I found the PMDG version needing too much so call 'Technique' to do basic things like takeoff and get to altitudes like 34,000ft. So I made a change and was amazed at how nice the airplane flew with enough thrust under it's wings. I'll never forget the last flight I had on an NG 700 from KMSP to KMCO (Disney World). My performance with the PMDG version now matches what I saw/felt on that fully loaded NG. TO HELL with what everyone else says, the default PMDG version is seriously underpowered despite having the correct published thrust values in the aircraft.cfg file. :( B)

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I'll get back to you later today when I get home from work.

FS2020 

I'd appreciate those numbers to Dillon.I've used UTOPIA a number of times and felt like I was seriouly underpowered as well.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

:( CAUTION: This is a controversial post. If your pron to high anxiety concerning FS related matters you don't agree with (or a PMDG CoolAide drinker) please refrain from reading the following :( I don't really fly the -900 so I made no changes yet to that version. I really hate the lack of bending of the wings in flight on the PMDG models which is a dominant feature of the real aircraft. It's like a 777 with static wings once it takes off (a 744 is another example). The bend is more pronounced on the -800/900 models. The unrealistic look in the air keeps me from using those birds much plus I really like Southwest Airlines.Here's what I changed in the aircraft.cfg files concerning thrust:-700:static_thrust=31200.000-800:static_thrust=27300.000 :(

FS2020 

Thanks for that Dillon. Now climbs well. Im happy with the performance. (though i dont know what the real one performs like). steve