Sign in to follow this  
helloo

Intel 6850 to e8600 make a difference?

Would it make much of a difference upgrading from my 6850 to the e8600. That is the most processor my will support.

i9-10900k * 64GB 3600MHz Ram * RTX 3090 running 3 75" 4k displays smoothly.  

Full 737 MAX enclosed cockpit from FDS

Why do you need to know his name? That's only for PMDG forums...Anyway, to the OP, at stock speeds, I would say yes, the jump to the E8600 will help out somewhat. Moreso if you overclocked the E8600 to around 4GHz

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Why do you need to know his name? That's only for PMDG forums...
Oh?! That explains a few things, I really had the impression it was a general rule. WAS wondering how many ppl got away with not having their full name applied to their posts. Well, teaches me to read the small print :( Anyways. I

6850 -> 8600 is not worth the upgrade, unless you do some serious overclocking. I know several people that have E6x50 chips running right around 3.6GHz and that seems to be about the maximum clock these chips are capable of without serious voltage and better-than-ambient cooling. The E8600 is definitely capable of higher clocks, 4.0-4.5GHz is attainable given the proper supporting equipment. If you're not going to overclock though, don't bother.

If you are into overclocking, I say GO FOR IT!I had a e6850 and the most I could o/c was 3.6-3.8, depending on ambient temp of the room. I then got the 8600 and was able to have a stable o/c of 4.45ghz!!! It made a world of difference in FSX and FS9. I believe the 8600 used a .45 die size vs the larger .65 of the e6850, so it was more efficient and ran at lower temp, which gives you more headroom to o/c. I found the 8600 a great chip for fs9, but I recently upgraded to a brand new i7 930 o/c'd to 4.2 ghz for a smoother experience with FSX.As long as you have the proper cpu heatsink for serious overclocking, the e8600 is a great value.

My guess is that if the OPs MB won't go better than an 8600, than he may not be able to OC very much or at all. In which case ram speed and GPU can help out. In any case a better cpu is a better cpu. More so if the price is right.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.