Sign in to follow this  
Guest Salbado

Debate- Is MSFS a "Game"

Guest racartron

And don't forget some very valuable geography lessons.Racartronit means something, but I just can't remember what

Depends on what you do with it and how much you spend on it, but the box you buy for $60 and take home, contains a game. True simulators really don't offer much in terms of scenery or entertainment and usually cost 4-100 times as much as FS.What about the Nascar series of "games"? Aren't those Nascar "simulators"? What about IL-2? Is it a "game"? Or is it an air combat "simulator"? Simulator can either refer to advanced multimillion dollar simulators, or a game genre. With FS, it's just a genre. Saying that FS is not a game is like saying that Rock 'n Roll isn't music.Certain roleplaying games allow you to do anything you want and have no set "goals" or such, aren't those games? Note that these also have countless free and payware "addons"

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Easy answer: its not a game, its a simulator; thats why its called Flight Simulator.. otherwise it would be flight game.Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]-----http://www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdUnofficial PSS Website

>I do not think that there is any intent to have it become a>Simulator that can be used a serious tool by Pilots.> In this release, FS9, there were no significant>improvements, for Real aviation, over the previous versions,>just Eye Candy.So in other words, without regard to flight models.......... the extensive data-bases for topography, navigation, airports, mean nothing for real pilot's?That's kind of BULL, don't you think? For under $60.00 you'll never find any other home P/C simulation that has such extensive data-bases, which certainly arn't "gamey" type. These are REAL aviation databases; more than you'll find in FLYII or X-Plane.Geoff Applegate is "right on" when it comes to experiences using MS and real world flight. And I can't see any reason whatsover that you'd dismiss it.... Except for hidden agenda's...And to flight models............. I see an attempt to destroy FS2004 over incidence, angle of attack, and associated drag. All of a sudden, all the "real pilot" data-bases are pushed aside to once again make a "game" statement by a few individuls. Just another attempt to dismiss all the worthwile value of this sim--- to make a few points. Since Ron Freimuth, is somewhat optimistic, as well as Lou Betty, & Tom Main from Flight One Products, I don't see a large un-beatable problem. As Geoff Applegate has replied...... the flight dynamics are just a small part of the equation of "real flight"; and can you disagree about that "fact"?L.Adamson

I like to refer to as "Graphics Research"

Will,On the business card I have for one of the individuals that is Program Manager for Microsoft's Flight Simulator, it states the following:MicrosoftEntertainment Business UnitSimulations Product UnitXXXXX XXXXXXXProgram ManagerYet its marketed through their gaming divisions, so I don't know is it a game, is it a simulation, is it both, or is it neither?Bear!

Guest dcc

when this topic came up last time, I seem to recall someone coining the word 'gamulator' -- quite fitting I think.In addition to the activities we all use it for, I alos use it regularly to teach my kids geography. - dcc

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,By using the phrase 'As Real As It Gets' on the box, I think they are claiming they are trying to 'simulate reality', within the confines of the box you play it on. Just my 2 cents.Jimmy Richards

Guest PaulL01

>:7 :7 :7>>I think is was a little late in the night that night!>I would have responded in kind but was on my way to Oshkosh.Yeah, please don't hold it against me!>Haven't seen my twin either!>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpgYeah, but yer single is better than my twin! :)

If you look at your start menu where you find the shortcut to start it it will state /programs/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator xxxx which to me is indication enough of where Microsoft classes it.This game might be used as a basis for some more advanced programs, but it's core is a game (which is why some of those more advanced programs have limitations imposed upon them by things that are impossible in this game).

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi Robert,Good debate question. But it is it a game? Hard to answer I suppose. Kind of thought provoking. :) I run this program because I feel I want, as close as possible, to feel what it is like to really fly. The name on the box is Microsoft Flight Simulator, not Microsoft Flight Game. And the motto is 'As Real As It Gets'. So when I spend my money I spend it in order to try and get the feeling as close as possible to what it is like to experience real flight, all the while knowing it is not real. Maybe the fact that you run it on your PC and it is not in fact real life makes it a game. But like I said, the name on the box is Microsoft Flight Simulator, not....Does that confuse things for you? I hope so. :-laugh1 Cause I can't figure it out either! Lol.Regards,Jimmy RichardsOne Tin Soldier

To me, a PC game has a scenario and a desired outcome, often measured in points gathered.Within FS, you can do this kind of thing in the lessons and career sections, but I mainly fly for the sheer fun and challenge of it and the key success factor for me is "suspension of disbelief".For my use this is a simulator.. I've learned IFR flight, cockpit procedures, advanced avionics programming.. that is hardly "a game"..When Bruce Artwick and Sublogic first developed FS for the PC, it clearly was released as a Flight Simulator (with a WWI shoot'm down game imbedded in it..)That MS has decided to slot it under the "Games" division hardly matters as long as the development team keeps bringing out new life-like enhancements as they consistently have over the last 5 generations..Put down one vote for game = NO, PC based simulator = YES.

Bert