Sign in to follow this  
jfri

I crash while still on the runway

During my last two times while I attempted to takeoff with the PMDG 747-400 for FS9 the flight ended since FS considered me to have crashed the plane.This happened when accelerating on the runway and while still on it. Prior to this I have followed the checklists and everythings seems in order. No warnings.I did notice that the cockpit seeems to jump up and down slightly during the takeoff roll. Don't understand while my takeoff didn't succeed.This happened at DTTA while using ASE RC4.3 aerosoft AES with DTTA activated. I used a takeoff flap setting of 20.Jan Friberg

During my last two times while I attempted to takeoff with the PMDG 747-400 for FS9 the flight ended since FS considered me to have crashed the plane.This happened when accelerating on the runway and while still on it. Prior to this I have followed the checklists and everythings seems in order. No warnings.I did notice that the cockpit seeems to jump up and down slightly during the takeoff roll. Don't understand while my takeoff didn't succeed.This happened at DTTA while using ASE RC4.3 aerosoft AES with DTTA activated. I used a takeoff flap setting of 20.Jan Friberg
Jan,Probably caused by the runway surface...bituminous is an issue with the FS9 version...notably present in many 'stock' FS9 airports...Singapore Changi immediately springs to my mind.The PMDG 744 does not like this surface & will require high thrust settings to taxi & the nose will appear to bob along as you describe...finally crashing at higher speeds.Turn off your MS Default Crash Detection (essential if you fly online & some jerk decides to taxi through you) & search AVSIM or Flightsim.com for an AFCAD editor by Lee Swordy (free)An AFCAD file is the basic building block of FS Airports...Lee's excellent utility allows you to change the surface of the runway (Asphalt & Concrete are fine with the PMDG 744) within the AFCAD file.Steve

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

I'm not sure if this will help in this particular case, but I there's a utility called FSTflatten that flattens scenery polygons.

I'm not sure if this will help in this particular case, but I there's a utility called FSTflatten that flattens scenery polygons.
Nope! I'll bet ya 50 Bucks that its bituminous runways!

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

LOL, I never questioned that, I have no clue what that is actually :D, never heard of it but will try that airport you mentioned... now I'm curious. So it's not terrain but the runway itself that's bumpy...

Nope! I'll bet ya 50 Bucks that its bituminous runways!

Jan,Probably caused by the runway surface...bituminous is an issue with the FS9 version...notably present in many 'stock' FS9 airports...Singapore Changi immediately springs to my mind.The PMDG 744 does not like this surface & will require high thrust settings to taxi & the nose will appear to bob along as you describe...finally crashing at higher speeds.Turn off your MS Default Crash Detection (essential if you fly online & some jerk decides to taxi through you) & search AVSIM or Flightsim.com for an AFCAD editor by Lee Swordy (free)An AFCAD file is the basic building block of FS Airports...Lee's excellent utility allows you to change the surface of the runway (Asphalt & Concrete are fine with the PMDG 744) within the AFCAD file.Steve
SteveYes according to my charts DTTA has bitumen runways. But I must say I'm confused here. Really can FS9 (or FSX) take different runway surface material into account? Is it not in FS point of view just flat ground surface? And is not that a lack realism? Turning of crash detection feels like a serious step from realism which I strive for. But I have already turned off crash detection for airplanes since I have encountered (non online) ai planes taxing towards my plane triggering a crash. BTW crash detection is a sad story in Fs when it comes to realism.Some questions hereWould I also get the same problem if landing at DTTA instead of taking of? I have landed the LD767-300 at DTTA withou problems and a 767 is also a heavy jet.Is it the same problem in FSX?Jan Friberg

SteveYes according to my charts DTTA has bitumen runways. But I must say I'm confused here. Really can FS9 (or FSX) take different runway surface material into account? Is it not in FS point of view just flat ground surface? And is not that a lack realism? Turning of crash detection feels like a serious step from realism which I strive for. But I have already turned off crash detection for airplanes since I have encountered (non online) ai planes taxing towards my plane triggering a crash. BTW crash detection is a sad story in Fs when it comes to realism.Some questions hereWould I also get the same problem if landing at DTTA instead of taking of? I have landed the LD767-300 at DTTA withou problems and a 767 is also a heavy jet.Is it the same problem in FSX?Jan Friberg
Yes, unfortunately you will get issues with bituminous runways the PMDG 744...a long known problem with an easy fix as described...changing the runway surface to concrete or asphalt will not affect your simming experience at all other than a cosmetic change to the surface colouring.http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...&hl=bitumenhttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...&hl=bitumenhttp://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...&hl=bitumenFS Crash detection...not really...you'll know when you crash - whether it is turned on or off, but with it turned off you will avoid the annoying AI Traffic or issues online.LDS 763 is another publishers work and is unnaffected.Steve

Steve Bell

I have not had any problem with PMDG 747-400X for FSX landing at DTTA with maximum load and an air temperature of 120

Dugald Walker

I have not had any problem with PMDG 747-400X for FSX landing at DTTA with maximum load and an air temperature of 120

We are talking FS9 here not FSX.
I know but Jan Friberg asked if it was the same with FSX and I wasn't sure if Steve's reply of "Yes" applied to that question or only to the other questions which Jan Friberg had asked. I am learning that FSX is very much in the minority.Dugald Walker

Dugald Walker

Hi just to add my thoughts to this if u got rex2 u can change the rwy and taxiways to any sufaces u like

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have now used that AFCAD editor by Lee Swordly. First according to this utility the runway in question was listed as being of concrete. Still I changed that to asphalt. Result I still got the same problem. When accelerating on the runway (but not during taxi) the cockpit starts jumping up and down and after reaching 80 kt I crash.Jan Friberg

Peter - Rex changes the 'Graphic texture' of the runway, not the actual runway surface itself. Jan - Are you sure you are modifying the correct AFCAD? I have seen multiple files installed from when I used to have AI packages.Regards

Rob Prest

Peter - Rex changes the 'Graphic texture' of the runway, not the actual runway surface itself. Jan - Are you sure you are modifying the correct AFCAD? I have seen multiple files installed from when I used to have AI packages.Regards
How could it be wrong AFCAD if I do like this? Start this AFCAD editor. Select DTTA. Doubleclick the runway in question (01/29). Change material and save.If I don't change the correct AFCAD in this way how am I supposed to do and know that I edit correct AFCAD?Jan Friberg