Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Severe reduction in autogen. I have UT & GEX. What have I done?

Guest ThrottleUp

Hello simmer friends. Im looking for some advice please and I hope you all can help. When I installed FSX on this new i7 computer I took a series of screenshots once I had installed Ultimate Terrain X - Usa, Canada & Europe. I kept these screenshots safetly aside. Each screenshot corresponds to a saved flight in FSX so I can look at the same view on the sim and the screenshot. That way I can easily tell how scenery has been affected. So far so good the screengrabs matched what I saw in the sim. But then the other day I got a bit of a shock. :( So much of my autogen (trees and buildings) have vanished. You can see the comparision screenshots below. Any ideas as to what can have caused this? As mentioned I have Ulitmate Terrain & GEX. I did follow the UT installation instructions to the letter (concerning the order they have to appear in the scenery menu in FSX). Would really appreciate your help. Thank you. :( Original screenshot bhxjer01.pngThe latest screenshot taken. See the vanished autogen? Specially within the circles :( bhxjer02.pngThanks guys.

Guest firehawk44
Hello simmer friends. Im looking for some advice please and I hope you all can help. When I installed FSX on this new i7 computer I took a series of screenshots once I had installed Ultimate Terrain X - Usa, Canada & Europe. I kept these screenshots safetly aside. Each screenshot corresponds to a saved flight in FSX so I can look at the same view on the sim and the screenshot. That way I can easily tell how scenery has been affected. So far so good the screengrabs matched what I saw in the sim. But then the other day I got a bit of a shock. :( So much of my autogen (trees and buildings) have vanished. You can see the comparision screenshots below. Any ideas as to what can have caused this? As mentioned I have Ulitmate Terrain & GEX. I did follow the UT installation instructions to the letter (concerning the order they have to appear in the scenery menu in FSX). Would really appreciate your help. Thank you. :( Thanks guys.
It's NOT GEX as GEX only replaces your default scenery. Ultimate Terrain should be located in your Scenery Library all the way down to where the addons begin (I think just above propeller objects). Sometimes starting up the UTX config, letting it do its thing and finally telling you it is enabled, and then closing the config will fix abnomalies. It could also be your autogen slider where as one picture was taken with autogen at the minimum and one at normal. How you were able to notice the differences is actually mindboggling to me. If you hadn't put red circles around the differences, I wouldn't have seen it. The settings in UTX you had in the old system may be different than those you how have as UTX has many ways to adjust what is seen and not seen. Anyway, sorry I can't be more definitive but maybe I gave you some ideas to resolve your issue.Best regards,Jim

Guest ThrottleUp

Thanks for your reply Jim. I do 99% of my FSX flying low and slow so the reduction was apparent to me. I fly a lot fo helicopter low over built-up areas and I thought I noticed less buildings while flying over Seattle. Thats when I fired up my screenshots to have a compare and sure enough there is a reduction. The slider settings in both shots are identical I made 100% sure of that :)The thing is..all was normal until well...a week ago I cant think of what could have caused this. Im not losing sleep over it but I would like my super-dense autogen back!

Thanks for your reply Jim. I do 99% of my FSX flying low and slow so the reduction was apparent to me. I fly a lot fo helicopter low over built-up areas and I thought I noticed less buildings while flying over Seattle. Thats when I fired up my screenshots to have a compare and sure enough there is a reduction. The slider settings in both shots are identical I made 100% sure of that :)The thing is..all was normal until well...a week ago I cant think of what could have caused this. Im not losing sleep over it but I would like my super-dense autogen back!
Do u have a line in your FSX.cfg that sets the Fiber Frame? If you do, delete it and see the results.Pierre

Pierre

GEX does change the placement of autogen and it looks to me that this is what your are experiencing. There is a huge difference between stock FSX autogen placement and GEX autogen placement. GEX was very well thought out to help reduce the load on a system. So, depending on your slider settings you could see less autogen in a given area per a given slider setting. If your framerates are fine and you can increase your autogen slider give that a shot.Regards,Bob Modrowski

Guest 413X3

residential roads will kill autogen.

Guest firehawk44
GEX does change the placement of autogen and it looks to me that this is what your are experiencing. There is a huge difference between stock FSX autogen placement and GEX autogen placement. GEX was very well thought out to help reduce the load on a system. So, depending on your slider settings you could see less autogen in a given area per a given slider setting. If your framerates are fine and you can increase your autogen slider give that a shot.Regards,Bob Modrowski
Bob, respectfully I cannot discount your claim that GEX does change the placement of autogen but I think your statement is incorrect. I did not see anything in the GEX help files about GEX replacing landclass files which would affect autogen placement. Based on some other posts I have seen from you, you are more knowledgeable than me in this area. But, according to NickN, this is not a GEX issue as I stated in my original post but more than likely an issue with UTX config as I stated in my original post: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=34718. Just wanted to set the record straight....Respectfully,Jim

Guest ThrottleUp

Thanks guys for responding, I am still trouble shooting. Like I said its not a *serious* problem but clattering around in a helo over LA is a bit dull now! I do know one thing for sure - I never fiddled with GEX or UTX after I installed it. So what you all see in the first image is UTX & GEX running perfectly.After that I must had done something , perhaps adding another addon.@ Pierre - I wil check my FSX.cfg for that!@413X3 - I will disable those roads in UTX and see if it makes a diff!

But, according to NickN, this is not a GEX issue as I stated in my original post but more than likely an issue with UTX config
Nick is kindly helping me through this issue on Sim Forums and this is what he said also. He feels its a UTX issue but has also noticed my landclass has changed so suspects another addon may have mucked things up.Well, time to brew the coffee and get back to nerding out to get my beloved autogen back :( Thank you all again for giving your views on this...

Jim,Sorry, I didn't even take the time to notice the difference in displayed landclass between the two pictures, I was solely focusing on the autogen and also made the assumption from the original post that the only thing that was changed was the addition of GEX. Thanks for setting me straight! :( Regards,Bob

Some addon has probably changed the order in your scenery cfg file. Go into the scenery library and list EVERYTHING that is before the UTX entries. That might gove a clue.Also, you might try selectively disabling (not uninstalling) the entries above UTX, then reload FSX and check again. Time consuming but it might give you a clue.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Its interesting that you have autogen in the distance but not close up. Which makes me doubt that its a land class issue.